the UC History Digital Archives

the UC History Digital Archives

Search the Los Angeles collection
Home > General History > The Ten Campuses > Los Angeles >

Colleges and Schools

About UC Los Angeles
:: Historical Overview
:: Administrative Officers

Academic Units
:: Colleges and Schools
:: Academic Departments
:: Graduate Division
:: Institutes and Research Centers
:: Summer Sessions

Student Life
:: Student Housing
:: Student Government
:: Student Publications
:: Student Services
:: Traditions

Libraries and the Arts
:: Cultural Programs
:: Libraries

Additional Resources
:: Related Links
:: Bibliography

:: Sources

print-friendly format

Los Angeles: Colleges and Schools

College of Agriculture College of Letters and Science
School of Architecture and Urban Planning School of Library Service
School of the Arts and Architecture School of Management
School of Business Administration School of Medicine
School of Dentistry School of Nursing
School of Education School of Public Health
Graduate School of Education and Information Studies School of Public Policy and Social Research
School of Engineering and Applied Science School of Social Welfare
College of Fine Arts School of Theater, Film and Television
School of Law  

College of Agriculture
Instruction and experiment station activities in agriculture on the Los Angeles campus began with the transfer of the Division of Subtropical Horticulture and sections of the Divisions of Entomology, Irrigation and Soils from Berkeley and sections of plant pathology from the Davis and Riverside campuses to Los Angeles in the fall of 1932. The staff was directed by Robert W. Hodgson. Graduate instruction in the field of horticultural science was approved in 1936. The program attracted many foreign students, particularly those from countries with subtropical climates. Many of these students then held important positions in the educational and scientific institutions of their own countries. In 1938, William H. Chandler was transferred from Berkeley to become assistant dean of the Los Angeles section of the College of Agriculture and a program in floriculture and ornamental horticulture was started. Agricultural economics was added in 1939. Hodgson was in charge from 1943 to 1960. The Department of Botany was located in the College of Agriculture from 1943 until 1962. Agricultural engineering was added in 1955. Martin R. Huberty became acting dean of the college in late 1960 and was succeeded by Sidney H. Cameron, who was dean until 1965.

Notable research contributions were made in the post-harvest physiology of fruits, floriculture, pests and pathology of ornamental plants, chelates in plant nutrition, gibberellins, control of flowering, genetics, citrus fruit handling, avocado pests and culture, citrus culture, turf grasses, and structural and household insects.

In 1965, the program began phasing itself out and transferring its activities to the Davis and Riverside campuses. All remaining activities were in a single Department of Agricultural Sciences, established in 1964. No undergraduate instruction was offered, but graduate studies were offered in several areas of specialization. source

The Department of Agricultural Sciences no longer exists as such; these activities have been transferred to appropriate programs in the environmental and biological sciences.

to top

School of Architecture and Urban Planning
On February 5, 1958, President Sproul appointed a state-wide committee "to consider the need for a program in architecture (and. . .associated disciplines) on the Los Angeles campus. . ." The committee, which was chaired by Chancellor Vern O. Knudsen, established the need for a school of architecture and recommended the appointment of a dean to prepare a suitable program.

On May 12, 1961, the Office of the President issued a statement reiterating the above, but adding the need for facilities in the field of city and regional planning. The committee emphasized the dynamic growth of southern California and the accessibility to practicing architects and planners in the area.

George A. Dudley's appointment as dean of the School of Architecture and Urban Planning was announced on November 8, 1964. Other appointments followed soon: Peter Kamnitzer was appointed associate professor and Henry C. K. Liu and Denise V. Scott Brown were appointed acting associate professors. Calvin Hamilton, planning director of the city of Los Angeles was appointed lecturer and a panel of distinguished visitors was appointed for the academic years 1966-68.

The first program proposed by the school was a two-year graduate course of studies leading to a master of architecture degree in urban design. Approximately 15-20 students entered the school in September, 1966. They undertook a comprehensive program of design-oriented studio work based strongly on the social and technological sciences. The nature of urban design required the interdisciplinary cooperation of the social and behavioral sciences as well as the professions of law and engineering and the arts.

Other programs in architecture, city and regional planning, and history of architecture and planning, as well as the bachelor programs, followed.

Great emphasis was placed on research. At the time of the school's founding, research was still in its infancy in the fields of architecture, urban design, and planning, and the Los Angeles area was considered a most suitable environment for much needed systematic investigation. By September, 1967, most of the Dickson Art Center building was occupied by the school. source

Architecture and Urban Design is now a department within the School of the Arts and Architecture.

to top

School of the Arts and Architecture
There is no history currently available for this school. See School of Architecture and Urban Planning and College of Fine Arts.

to top

School of Business Administration
The business schools evolved out of commerce teacher preparation in the old normal school (continued for a time in a separate Department of Business Education and later in the School of Education) and in the economics department from 1922 to 1935. Applied economics and accounting courses, then developed under Chairman Howard S. Noble, were transferred along with a faculty of seven persons to the Department of Business Administration in the College of Business Administration, established in 1937. Noble served as dean of the college and department chairman until 1947.

In this period national accreditation was achieved (1938), the M.B.A. degree authorized (1939), and enrollments grew from 931 undergraduate and 27 graduate students in 1939, to 1,963 undergraduate and 94 graduate students in 1947.

Neil H. Jacoby was appointed dean in 1947 (also chairman of the department until a separate chairman was appointed in 1957). The college was changed to an upper division school in 1950, and a separate graduate school was added in 1955. Doctoral studies were authorized in 1953, and special agencies added later, including the Division of Research (1956), Western Data Processing Center (1956), Western Management Science Institute (1960), and the California Management Review, published jointly with the Berkeley faculty since 1958. A master of science degree was authorized in 1961. In September, 1961, the Business Administration Library was established, which housed over 41,000 volumes, and 4,000 subscriptions by the mid-1960s. After 1966, the B.S. degree program and the school were phased out, leaving only the graduate school faculty and postgraduate programs, with limited undergraduate courses for service to these and other campus programs.

A full-time-equivalent department faculty of 104.65 was organized into nine divisional areas, serving 714 undergraduate and 633 graduate students (including 154 students in doctoral studies). In the academic year 1964-65, there were 280 B.S., 225 M.B.A., and 13 Ph.D. degrees awarded.

After 1945 the school maintained and developed, in cooperation with University Extension, special programs of classes, short courses, certificate programs, conferences, and executive development programs. These programs served over 25,000 participants annually. Over 1,000 senior executives completed the year-long executive program between 1954 and 1965. source

Business Administration has now become the Anderson School of Management.

to top

School of Dentistry
Following recommendations by a University-wide committee appointed by President Sproul, the establishment of a School of Dentistry at Los Angeles was authorized by the Regents on June 20, 1958; the first dean took office on July 1, 1960.

In the development of the school, important considerations included the campus setting generally, as well as potential relationships of the school to the other health sciences. The curriculum was designed to provide a broad education in the basic, clinical, and public health sciences and key senior faculty members held joint appointments in interrelated schools and departments.

The facilities under construction from 1964 to 1966 included general and specific dental clinics, teaching and research laboratories, administrative and faculty offices, and a television teaching studio. Built in functional juxtaposition to the bio-medical library, the basic health science facilities, and the hospital of the Center for the Health Sciences, the capacity of the school permitted graduation of 96 dentists per year by the mid-1960s. While the facilities were still under construction, the first class of 27 men and one woman was admitted in September, 1964.

A significant research facility matching grant of over $1 million from the U. S. Public Health Service was part of the financing for the new dental facility.

In addition to the regular dental program, the school, together with the Graduate Division of the campus, initiated in 1964 an advanced academic program for young dentists seeking further basic knowledge and scientific background. Several collaborative search programs evolved with extramural support.

In the mid-1960s, there was an urgent need for research in specific fields of clinical dentistry and multidisciplinary investigations basic to advances in oral biology. Also, there was increasing demand upon the University for postgraduate education. These requirements and those of the Master Plan for Higher Education guided the planning of facilities, faculty, and academic programs. A total complement equivalent to 80 full-time faculty members was planned for appointment within the School of Dentistry when the dental facility became fully operational. source

to top

School of Education
The School of Education can trace its lineage back to the legislative act of March 3, 1881, which authorized the opening of a branch of the San Jose State Normal School in Los Angeles. Teacher training was the primary responsibility of the "southern branch" (opened in 1882) and in 1894, the Department of Education was established. In 1917, three years after the renamed Los Angeles State Normal School was moved to a larger site on Vermont Avenue, Ernest Carroll Moore was appointed director of the normal school and chairman of the Department of Education. When the Southern Branch of the University opened in 1919, Moore assumed the directorship of the campus and the deanship of the Teachers College, a replacement for the normal school. On opening day, 260 students enrolled in the College of Letters and Science, while Teachers College counted 1,078 students preparing for professional careers in education. In 1929, Teachers College commenced its program of instruction at the new campus in Westwood under the guidance of Provost Moore, who continued to serve as chairman of education in Teachers College.

In 1936, when Moore relinquished his administration of the Los Angeles campus and Teachers College, although continuing to serve for four years as professor of the history of education, Marvin L. Darsie was appointed dean of Teachers College. When the School of Education was founded in 1939, Darsie assumed its deanship and became chairman of the Department of Education the following year. His successor, Edwin A. Lee, was to serve 17 years in the same dual capacity. Upon his retirement in 1957, the incumbent, Howard E. Wilson, accepted the leadership of the school and department.

There is no precise record of the number of teachers graduated from the Department of Education in its early days as the Teachers College. By June, 1965, however, the department had an enviable record in graduate degrees: 522 master of arts, 730 master of education, and 457 doctor of education degrees had been awarded. source

The School of Education has now been incorporated into the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies.

to top

Graduate School of Education and Information Studies
There is no history currently available for this school. See School of Education and School of Library Service.

to top

School of Engineering and Applied Science
With the incorporation of Los Angeles State Normal School into the University in 1919, a two-year pre-engineering program was instituted under the College of Applied Arts. Enrollments were 38 in the fall of 1919, and 130 in the fall of 1920. Upon completion of this lower division program, students could and did pursue upper division studies in the several engineering curricula at Berkeley and elsewhere.

On January 10, 1941, the Regents authorized full instruction in engineering on the Los Angeles campus. On June 8, 1943, Governor Earl Warren approved Assembly Bill 1140, appropriating $300,000 for "instruction in engineering with emphasis on the major disciplines fundamental to aeronautical science and engineering." Effective November 1, 1944, the Regents, upon the recommendation of President Robert Gordon Sproul, appointed Llewellyn M. K. Boelter, associate dean of the College of Engineering at Berkeley, as dean of the new College of Engineering at Los Angeles.

The college, building on the foundation of the pre-engineering program and the extensive World War II engineering, science, and management war training program, and stimulated by the industrial wartime expansion in southern California, opened its first class in the fall of 1945 with 379 students. Enrollment rose sharply to 1,443 in the fall of 1946.

From the beginning, the college adopted a concept in engineering education characterized by a single undergraduate curriculum, with emphasis on the fundamentals common to all engineers. Mastery of specialized techniques of the various engineering branches was left to the senior year, graduate study, and work experience in industry.

Major research areas included air pollution, transportation and traffic engineering, city and regional planning, sea water conversion, application of solar energy, metal corrosion, computer design, control systems, cargo handling, biotechnology, ceramics, chemical processes, circuits, earthquake studies, electrical and mechanical standards, electromagnetics, electron microscopy, electronics, communications, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, materials, metallography, x-ray studies of metals, nuclear energy, petroleum production, high-speed aerodynamics, subsonic and supersonic wind tunnels, propulsion, sanitation, soil mechanics, structures, welding, and the design of engineering curricula.

Developing nations were aided by the college through a long-range educational, development, and research program at Gadjah Mada University in Indonesia and small industrialization projects in Northeast Brazil. An exchange program with the National Polytechnic Institute of Mexico was also initiated.

By the mid-1960s, some $2.5 million in research grants and contracts were received from federal, state, and local governmental agencies, foundations, industry, and the University. The Engineering-Mathematical Sciences Library grew from 381 items, in 1945, to holdings of 85,000 volumes, 4,250 journals, and 250,000 reports by the mid-1960s.

Engineering Extension served employed and future engineers in southern California since 1945 through a wide-ranging and high-quality program of evening classes, short courses, and professional conferences.

Engineering students represented almost ten percent of the entire Los Angeles student body in the mid-1960s. Spring, 1965 enrollment in engineering was 1,191 undergraduates and 1,027 graduate students. Through January, 1965, the college and department had granted 3,525 bachelor of science degrees, 1,254 master's (master of science and master of engineering) degrees, and 140 doctor of philosophy degrees.

The spring 1965 academic faculty consisted of 135 professors, associate professors, assistant professors, and lecturers. The research staff (excluding graduate and undergraduate student research engineers and assistants) consisted of 19 persons. source

The College of Engineering is now the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science.

to top

College of Fine Arts
The College of Fine Arts was an administrative unit on the Los Angeles campus housing the Departments of Art, Dance, Music, and Theater Arts. Established July 1, 1900, the college was an outgrowth of two former colleges. When Teachers College became the School of Education in 1939, the Departments of Art, Home Economics, Mechanic Arts, Music, and Physical Education were transferred to the newly created College of Applied Arts together with a degree program in public health nursing and various pre-professional curricula. The first dean of the college, Frederick W. Cozens, served until 1942. He was succeeded by John F. Bovard (1942-46), David F. Jackey (1947-60), and William W. Melnitz, who served starting in 1960.

With increased interest in the arts generally, and particularly in southern California, the College of Fine Arts was established in 1960 to replace the discontinued College of Applied Arts as the administrative organization for the Departments of Art, Music, and Theater Arts. Other majors and curricula formerly included in the old College of Applied Arts were either phased out or transferred to another college on the campus. Dance was given departmental status in the college in 1962.

In announcing the new College of Fine Arts, Chancellor Franklin D. Murphy indicated its objective to be "a truly professional education of the highest quality for the creative and performing artist on the one hand, and the historian and critic of the arts on the other." Each of the four departments in the college offers the bachelor of arts and the master of arts degrees. The master of fine arts degree were made available in the Department of Art (in the areas of pictorial arts and design) and in the Department of Theater Arts (in theater, motion pictures, and television-radio). The doctor of philosophy degree was offered in history of art, music, and history of theater. Standard teaching credentials were also available in the several departments.

By the mid-1960s, the former College of Applied Arts and the College of Fine Arts had awarded 8,605 bachelor's degrees, 1,234 master's degrees, and 28 Ph.D. degrees. Professionally, many fine arts students have achieved national recognition or have won international awards for their competence in some area of the arts. As of the fall semester of 1965, enrollment in the four departments approached 1,200 undergraduates and 500 graduates. The faculty of the college totaled nearly 200, of whom approximately half have professional standing. In addition to regular faculty, the several departments invited to the campus each year distinguished visiting professors and world-renowned professional artists, all of whom brought to the classroom fresh approaches and a practical, professional attitude.

The college was also closely identified with the UCLA Committee on Fine Arts Productions and Public Lectures, through whose efforts the University was able to present a broad range of cultural fare, serving not only students and faculty, but the entire southern California community as well. Located in an area rich in musical, dramatic, and artistic talents, the College of Fine Arts sought to take full advantage of all these resources and at the same time assume the accompanying obligation to nurture the continued growth and development of the fine arts. source

The College of Fine Arts was later incorporated into the School of the Arts and Architecture.

to top

School of Law
In recognition of the need for a state-supported law school in the most populous area of the state, the California State Legislature, in 1947, appropriated $1,660,000 for the construction of a law school building on the Los Angeles campus.

In 1949, when the school accepted its first class, a single classroom, administrative office, 30,000 volume library and reading room, and offices for the faculty of five were located in three temporary buildings on the site of the Humanities Buildings. The law school building was completed and occupied in 1951, and the first class of 44 was graduated in 1952, by which time approval had been received from all relevant accrediting agencies.

By the mid-1960s, the bachelor of laws degree was granted to approximately 1,500 law students, the faculty had expanded to some 40 members, and the library possessed more than 156,000 volumes.

Construction was completed on a new wing for the building in 1967, when the school reached its planned size of 50 faculty members working with 1,000 students.

By the mid-1960s, the UCLA Law Review had become a publication of accepted scholarly distinction. An honors program in appellate advocacy was also in operation. A program leading to the degree of master of comparative law for foreign-trained lawyers was established. The curriculum covered a variety of legal subjects and included interdisciplinary seminars in law and medicine, international and foreign studies, and industrial relations.

By the mid-1960s, the areas of teaching and research in which the law faculty were engaged covered almost every field of interest in which legal scholarship is a factor. These interests had been developed in many cases in conjunction with the interests of the Los Angeles campus at large. Thus, specialization was found in the legal problems of urban society in the fields of land planning, industrial relations, and the administration of criminal justice. The business interests of the Los Angeles community were reflected in a law school emphasis on the legal problems of the entertainment industry and the oil and gas industry, with particular attention being given to corporate finance and taxation.

Cooperative programs were developed with the medical school and the important activities of this campus as a center of scientific development were brought into the ambit of legal thought through a Law-Science Research Center. The study of foreign and international law also proceeded with particular energy in the fields of special campus interest, Latin America, Africa, and the Near East.

Although in the mid-1960s the school's alumni were still a relatively young and relatively small group, they had already become an important factor in the legal community. Among them were a half-dozen judges, members of national, state, and city government, and several law professors. source

to top

College of Letters and Science
The College of Letters and Science was established in the fall of 1923 when third-year instruction began at the Southern Branch of the university.

The college's first A.B. degrees were awarded in June, 1925 to 100 women and 29 men. Forty years later, when 11,752 students were enrolled in the college, A.B. degrees were awarded to 1,162 students and B.S. degrees (inaugurated in 1934) to 94. In 1925, 13 departmental majors were listed; in 1965, 33 departmental and 16 interdepartmental majors were offered. The 1925 Catalogue lists a total faculty of 198; in 1965, the college had a full-time faculty of 775. From 1941 to 1958, the college awarded the associate in arts degree upon the completion of the lower-division program. The college requirements for the bachelor's degree were thoroughly revised twice, in 1947 and in 1965.

The college was first organized by Charles H. Rieber, professor of philosophy, who served as dean from 1923-36. He was followed by Gordon S. Watkins, professor of economics, 1936-45. In 1946, on the recommendation of a faculty committee, the college was completely reorganized. The dean was given responsibility for budget and personnel and the college was organized into four divisions (humanities, life sciences, physical sciences, and social sciences), each headed by a divisional dean.

To implement the new organization, Paul A. Dodd, professor of economics, was appointed dean of the college and chose as divisional deans Franklin P. Rolfe (humanities), Albert W. Bellamy (life sciences), William O. Young (physical sciences), and Dean E. McHenry (social sciences). In 1950, J. Wesley Robson was added to the staff as associate dean in charge of student affairs and in 1958, Eli Sobel was appointed associate dean in charge of special and honors programs, including the college's program for gifted high school students. Dodd served until his retirement in 1961, when Rolfe became dean of the college. source

to top

School of Library Service
In 1930 Los Angeles City Librarian Everett R. Perry proposed to President Sproul and Regent Dickson the establishment of a library school on the Los Angeles campus of the University, mentioning that his library board concurred in the position taken by the American Library Association which favored the professional training of librarians in universities rather than in libraries.

In 1936, a School of Library Science was opened by the University of Southern California. In 1935, the School of Librarianship, Berkeley, had begun to offer a summer program on the Los Angeles campus which was suspended temporarily in 1942 following the entry of the United States into World War II. This inter-campus program was not resumed after the war. In 1948, a pre-librarianship curriculum was developed at the Los Angeles campus, not to offer undergraduate courses in librarianship, but to counsel students on preparation for admission to graduate library schools elsewhere. Within the University, first Regent Dickson and later University Librarian Lawrence Clark Powell and various library leaders and organizations outside of the University took up the pre-war interest in a Los Angeles campus library school. Following careful discussions and two surveys of California's needs for professionally trained librarians, the Regents on December 19, 1958 approved the establishment of a graduate library school on the Los Angeles campus.

During a planning year, 1959-60, a faculty was recruited and other preparations were made for opening classes in the School of Library Service on September 19, 1960. Powell resigned his position as University librarian to accept an appointment as dean of the new school. He and a faculty of five met the first class of 55 students selected from more than 500 persons who had inquired or applied during the planning year. These inquiries had come from 34 states and 11 foreign countries. The school was accredited by the American Library Association in June of 1962. During the first five years of instruction, 1960-65, a total of 248 master of library science degrees were conferred; the faculty increased to 13 members and the number of courses offered increased from 22 to 30. The first specialized post-M.L.S. program, an internship in medical librarianship supported by a grant from the U.S. Public Health Service, was offered in 1960-61 in collaboration with the Biomedical Library. In January, 1965, a second degree, master of science in information science (documentation), was approved and added to the school's program. With conversion to the quarter calendar in 1966, the normal course of study leading to the M.L.S. degree was extended two semesters and a summer session to four full quarters.

As of the 1960s, all planning of professional education for library service on the Los Angeles campus had been done with the collaboration and assistance of the School of Librarianship, Berkeley. The two schools had a common advisory council of professional librarians. With the establishment of the Los Angeles school of Library Service, the alumni association of the School of Librarianship was reconstituted as a single organization for the graduates of both schools. The direction of the Library Research Institute was, from its establishment on July 1, 1964, divided between the two schools; doctoral candidates in the School of Librarianship took courses, when appropriate, on the Los Angeles campus or received direction in their research from members of the faculty of the School of Library Service. source

The School of Library Service was later incorporated into the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies.

to top

School of Management
See School of Business Administration.

to top

School of Medicine
The School of Medicine was established in 1947 on a 35-acre site at the south end of the University's Los Angeles campus. The first class of 28 medical students was accepted in 1951 and began classes in temporary quarters. In 1954, the school moved into its permanent buildings. By the mid-1960s, there were 128 students in each of the four classes. The full-time faculty numbered more than 200 and a part-time faculty consisted of about 700 practicing physicians in the community.

A comprehensive research program under the direction of the faculty achieved major advances in nuclear medicine, kidney and liver disorders, psychiatric illnesses, neurological diseases, disorders of speech and hearing, cardiovascular problems, orthopedic problems, and in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer, advances in the understanding of brain function; and advances in the application of computers to the health sciences.

Integrated with the Medical School in a single building complex were the University Hospital and Clinics and the Neuropsychiatric and Brain Research Institutes. Also in the same building and sharing classrooms and laboratories in the basic sciences was the School of Dentistry. Nearby, on the West Medical campus, were the Laboratory of Nuclear Medicine and Radiation Biology and the Rehabilitation Center.

The teaching program of the Medical School was affiliated since its beginning with both the Los Angeles Veterans Administration Center and the Los Angeles County Harbor General Hospital. source

The School of Medicine is now known as the David Geffen School of Medicine.

to top

School of Nursing
The School of Nursing was authorized by the Regents of the University in June, 1949, as one of the professional schools in the Medical Center at Los Angeles. The establishment of such a school had been under consideration for approximately eight years before it was authorized and approved for the establishment of undergraduate and graduate programs in nursing.

The school achieved a position of national importance in 1950 when it initiated a new program for the preparation of professional nurses. The program leading to the bachelor of science degree was offered in four academic years and provided for a close interweaving of general and professional education. The undergraduate and graduate programs were reviewed by the accrediting service of the National League for Nursing and awarded full accreditation in 1954, 1958, and 1964. Each time the school received commendation for the relatively unique approach in the undergraduate nursing curriculum.

The faculty of the school was also instrumental in developing and securing adoption of a new set of regulations by the State Board of Nurse Examiners. These regulations make it possible for colleges and universities to develop undergraduate nursing education programs along the same lines as other undergraduate programs within institutions of higher education.

The first class of eight students completed the undergraduate program and received the bachelor of science degree in 1954. By the mid-1960s, the school had awarded a total of 751 baccalaureate degrees to University students and registered nurses. At the master's level, the first two degrees were awarded in 1952. By the mid-1960s, a total of 308 master of science degrees had been awarded. The major activity of the faculty, which grew in number from seven to 33, was the development and evaluation of the teaching programs and the phasing out of the program for registered nurses.

Research and teaching at the graduate level were to recieve increased emphasis in the following decade. source

to top

School of Public Health
In the mid-1960s, schools of public health were a comparatively recent development, receiving their greatest impetus during and after World War II when community health problems were intensified by increased urbanization and industrialization in the United States and in the newly emerging nations.

The School of Public Health at Los Angeles developed from the Los Angeles department of the University-wide school which had been established at Berkeley in 1944. Dr. Norman B. Nelson became the first chairman of the Los Angeles department in 1946, heading a faculty of one part-time and two full-time members. Two-year programs leading to the bachelor of science degree were offered for students with junior standing in the University and the requisite background in physical and biological sciences. The first four students were graduated in 1948.

Dr. A. Harry Bliss guided the development of the Los Angeles department from 1948 until 1956. He received valuable assistance from the Chancellor's Committee on Instruction in Public Health. The committee recommended development of the future School of Public Health at Los Angeles in cooperation with the developing Medical Center and also recommended appointment of an associate dean at Los Angeles with authority to act as dean in local matters.

To carry out both of these recommendations, Dr. Wilton L. Halverson was appointed chairman of the Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health in the School of Medicine and associate dean of the School of Public Health in 1954. In 1956, Dr. L. S. Goerke succeeded Halverson as associate dean of the school and also became chairman of the department. At the same time he became chairman of the Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health in the School of Medicine. In ensuing years, joint appointments in the two faculties were continued and the first graduate program in public health at Los Angeles was sponsored by the joint faculties. This program, leading to the master of science degree, was first offered in 1957. Doctors of medicine in the M.S. program were under the guidance of the Department of Preventive Medicine.

On March 17, 1961, the Board of Regents approved the establishment of a separate School of Public Health at Los Angeles and Dr. Goerke was appointed dean, effective March 20, 1961.

A four-year period of very rapid growth began in 1961. Total enrollment in the fall of 1960 was 61 students, of whom 43 were graduate students. Total enrollment in the fall of 1964 was 250 students, of whom 192 were graduate students and eight were postdoctoral scholars.

The trend in the school's growth was toward graduate study and research. In the academic year 1964-65, bachelor of science degrees were awarded to 20 students and advanced degrees to 55. At the end of that year, the joint full-time faculty numbered 32, eight of whom were supported by federal funds. There were 23 full-time professional personnel supported by research grants and contracts.

The school had unique opportunities for contributing to the public service function of the University. Its faculty members served on committees of governmental and voluntary health agencies and participated in programs of continuing education in public health. Instruction and public service activities were combined in its responsibility for coordinating health programs for the Peace Corps at the Los Angeles campus. source

to top

School of Public Policy and Social Research
See School of Social Welfare.

to top

School of Social Welfare
The graduate School of Social Welfare came into existence as a Department of Social Welfare in 1947-48, under the chairmanship of Ralph Beals, with graduate courses offered in only the first year of the two-year master's program. In 1948, Donald S. Howard was appointed as chairman of the department and dean-designate of the projected School of Social Welfare. The department became a separate graduate school in 1949, offering a two-year master's degree in social welfare, and Howard became its first dean. He was succeeded in 1963 by Eileen Blackey.

For more than two decades, the school had a relatively small enrollment, averaging about 50-60 students a year. Enrollment in the school in 1964-65 was 100 students; for 1965-66, the enrollment reached 120, with similar increases planned over the next several years toward an estimated maximum of 200 students.

In the mid-1960s, the faculty complement was 18.25 (full-time equivalent), which was increased with the initiation of a doctoral program. Such a program, aimed at preparing teachers and researchers in the field, was in the process of development in the mid-1960s. In keeping with the changing trends in social work education, the curriculum of the school was revised from time to time after 1949, with a major reorganization occurring in 1965 when the curriculum was rewritten to conform to the quarter-system pattern of education adopted by the University.

As a graduate professional school, the program of study included both academic courses and a required number of hours in field instruction in selected social agencies in the community. The master's degree curriculum in social welfare encompassed five major program areas: human behavior; social welfare organization and services; social work methods theory; social work research; and field instruction. With the exception of a brief period, this school prepared graduates primarily for the field of social casework, but with the initiation of the new curriculum in 1966, a curriculum specialization was offered in community organization as well.

Between 1966-1968, the school greatly extended its programs funded from extramural sources and participated in federal and state grants directed toward training and research in rehabilitation, mental retardation, child welfare and mental health.

An undergraduate pre-social welfare major was offered in the College of Letters and Science. This program came under review by the school and the college with the objective of improving and strengthening the undergraduate preparation for a career in social welfare.

A University Extension program in social welfare was initiated in 1965 which included plans for extension courses, short-term educational activities, and collaboration with other University departments in programs of the Peace Corps, Economic Opportunities Administration, and U. S. and U. N. foreign exchange programs. source

to top

School of Theater, Film and Television
There in no history currently available for this school. See College of Fine Arts.

to top

the UC History Digital Archives

Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.