About the bSecure remote access VPN client
How to install
If your computer has managed Berkeley Desktop for Windows or macOS, you can install the GlobalProtect VPN from the Self Service portal.
If you have admin access to your computer, download and install the GlobalProtect VPN client. Select detailed installation instructions based on your operating system:
The GlobalProtect UI client is available in a shared Global Protect UI for Linux folder. Documentation with detailed information is located in a README document within the folder. Installation instructions can be found on the Palo Alto Networks Tech Docs site.
What to expect
- The GlobalProtect VPN will require you to authenticate using your CalNet credentials. You will login with your CalNet ID and passphrase and do the two-step authentication process (using Duo) to connect.
- You will need to pick a gateway (tunnel) when you connect. The default option is Split Tunnel. To access Library resources, pick the Library Access and Full Tunnel option.
Use the VPN client
Always choose the Library Access and Full Tunnel option.
- Always run the VPN before using article databases, electronic journals, etc.
- Disconnect the VPN when your session is finished.
Who may use the VPN
- Current UC Berkeley students, faculty, and staff.
If you encounter any issues, please contact IT Client Services.
Who may not use the VPN
- Current Lawrence Berkeley National Lab employees must use the LBNL VPN service
- People not currently affiliated with UC Berkeley
VPN client help
- VPN FAQ
- The Student Technology Service will help UC Berkeley students, faculty, and staff configure their laptop, or other portable device to use the campus VPN client. You can make an appointment online.
- Faculty and staff, contact the Berkeley IT Service Desk:
- 510-664-9000, option1, option 1, option 1
- Monday-Friday 9 a.m.-5 p.m.