Updated: June 2023
At the UC Berkeley Library, we uphold UC Berkeley’s principles of community. We also seek to embody the Library’s values, which guide our behaviors and actions:
Collaboration and community
- We work together and support one another to achieve shared goals, uncover new ideas, and extend our impact.
- We align collections, services, programs, and spaces with current and future users’ needs.
- We recognize and appreciate one another’s contributions, expertise, and accomplishments.
Equity and inclusion
- We treat everyone with respect and empathy, and nurture a culture where all employees thrive.
- We provide equitable access to a diverse set of collections and services.
- We create practices, processes, and structures that result in equitable outcomes for all.
- We foster an environment that enables racial justice and facilitates a sense of belonging for historically marginalized communities.
Learning and growth
- We consider everyone a lifelong learner and knowledge creator.
- We support learning and creative experimentation, knowing that experimenting and iterating are essential for developing expertise.
- We adapt to our ever-changing environment by applying what we learn to bring about positive change.
Openness and transparency
- We welcome ideas, solicit input, practice active listening, and incorporate new perspectives to expand our understanding.
- We embrace inclusive communication, committing ourselves to sharing our thought processes and conditions that inform decision-making.
- We hold ourselves and one another accountable for our actions.