UC Berkeley Library

Need a book from the UC Berkeley Library during the shelter-in-place order? Check here first.

Frequently Asked Questions

Content section: 

FAQ v2.0

Questions? Ask Us!

I heard there was a bookstore in Doe Library. Is this true?

The Library Bookstore closed in June 2011, but occasional special booksales will continue.  These will be announced on our website, and also via email.

How do I find reserve materials for my classes?

You can use OskiCat to search for books and other items on course reserve. Click on the Course Reserves tab at the top of the screen, and then enter the department and course number OR your instructor's name. To retrieve the item you're looking for, write down its library location and call number. At most UCB libraries, reserves are kept behind the circulation desk - give the call number to a desk staffer, who will retrieve it for you. Your Cal 1 Card is your library card, which you will need to check the item out.

I'm a visiting scholar at UCB. How do I apply for library privileges?

Visiting Scholars must receive official appointments with a UC Berkeley Department or Organized Research Unit, and register with the Visiting Scholars and Postdoc Affairs (VSPA) Program. After registering with VSPA, please visit the Privileges Desk (Doe Library, floor 1) with your Cal1 ID Card to initiate library privileges.

If you have questions:
Privileges Desk
Doe Library, Floor 1

M-F: 9am - 4:45pm
Sat-Sun: 1pm - 4:45pm

Can you help me figure out the Doe/Moffitt/Bancroft/Main (Gardner) Stacks library complex?

Yes. Take a look at this elevation map to determine locations and entrances - the perspective is from Memorial Glade. You may also download a PDF version.

Click the image for a larger version.

Doe & Moffitt Libraries - elevation

What is the fee for UC Berkeley - Extension students for library privileges?

  • Berkeley Extension students may purchase a six-month borrowing card by presenting proof of current registration at the Privileges Desk, Doe Library, Foor 1 along with a government-issued photo ID (state ID or passport).
  • The fee is $25.
  • Remote access to licensed electronic resources such as journals and databases is available with this card.

I am an undergraduate student graduating in December. Do I still have access to electronic library resources (UC-links) after graduation? If so, how long after graduation?

Library Privileges are subject to expiration following graduation, and typically expire within a matter of weeks. Users may apply for an Alumni Library Borrowing Card if they are members of the Alumni Association, although they will NOT have access to licensed electronic resources via this membership. Information for Alumni has additional information and application details.

Please see the guide Freely Available Resources for Research for an introduction to some of the many free resources for research available online.

After graduation, you can also gain "research access" to online library resources using publicly accessible (e.g., Doe Library) computers.

What are the penalties for the late return of a recalled book?

Checked-out items can be recalled at any time, and you will receive an email upon recall, specifying the new due date for the recalled item. If a recalled item is not returned by the updated due date your library account will be blocked the day after the due date, which is sooner than your account would be blocked for regular overdue items.

Upon return of the overdue item, the overdue recall block will be removed.  Furthermore, if billed, the replacement cost of the book will be automatically removed from your library account, but the $10 processing fee will remain.  Please note, if the library has purchased a replacement copy for the item while the recalled item is still outstanding and billed, there will be no removal of the replacement cost. 

Patrons who accrue more than $50 in fines will be blocked from using the library until fines are paid at the Doe Library Privileges Desk or online via your My Oskicat account; those with balances over $200 (e.g. two or more billed items) will be blocked at the campus level. For more information on library fines please see the Pay Fines page.

How can I use/get newspapers on microfilm if Berkeley owns only non-circulating master and archival negatives?

This microfilm does not circulate, since Berkeley is only acting as a storage place for the archival copies. UC Berkeley does have another copy of some of titles, and records for these will appear in OskiCat.

All of the California newspapers of this kind have circulating microfilm housed at the California State Library in Sacramento. While these copies do not appear in OskiCat, they do appear in the Melvyl catalog.

If you are a UC Berkeley faculty, student, or staff member, you can request the film through Interlibrary Borrowing. If you are not affiliated with UC Berkeley, you can use the material at the California State Library or request it through your local library's Interlibrary Borrowing office.

I heard that the City Arts & Lectures program archive is available through the Library. How do I access it?

As mentioned in the San Francisco Chronicle, the UC Berkeley Library has created an online archive of City Arts & Lectures. Under revised terms of our license agreement, only current Cal students, faculty, and staff members can access them.

To call up a list of the programs, go to our OskiCat library catalog and search: city arts and lectures. Click on the title of a program, then look for the link labeled "Restricted to UCB".  Clicking on this link should start the program using RealPlayer software. Cal students, faculty, and staff wishing to listen to these programs using off-campus computers should have either the Virtual Private Network (VPN) software or the proxy server setting active. For more information on these options, see connect from off-campus.

Read this Library News article for troubleshooting tips and more information.

Does the Library have ebooks?

Yes, we do. Please see the find books and ebooks page for more information