Keys, Card Keys and Locks, UCB Library

Library Human Resources is responsible for issuing keys and card keys to Library staff.

Following are the current procedures in place for keys, card keys, and locks.

Subject Specialty Libraries

Most key, key card and lock repair needs for staff in subject specialty libraries should be addressed with the coodinator for the building that houses the subject specialty library.

New Keys and Key Cards

To request a metal key for a library employee, fill out the Key Request Form. The request must be authorized by a supervisor. For help with ordering keys for Doe and Moffitt Libraries, contact the Library Key Controller at 1-510-685-7446.

To request Library electronic (key card) access via a UCB Cal ID, fill out the Application for Library Electronic Key Card Access.

For help with ordering keys or card key access for Doe and Moffitt Libraries, contact the Library Key Controller at 1-510-642-3614 or Ext. 2-3614.

For Student Library Employees (SLEs), supervisors will need to provide an end date for card key access. The end date can be set to the student graduation month/year (i.e., 05/31/20XX).

Please note:


When an employee either transfers to another unit within the Library or terminates employment, he/she must return all keys to the Library's Human Resources Department.

Lock problems

Broken locks, problems with keys suddenly not working, etc., are handled like other building maintenance problems via the appropriate building coordinator. Doe, Doe Annex and Moffitt units can get assistance from Doe/Moffitt Facilities, 1-510-685-7446.

Security Design, new/renovated space

For help with key/card key design and planning for all renovations and new construction projects, call the Design Office, 2-5154.

Temporary access to Doe/Moffitt tunnel, Mail Room, Facilities

Staff needing access to the 2nd floor services between Doe and Moffitt (e.g. Mail Room, Facilities, CDT, etc.) must bring their staff or photo ID to either the South Security Desk or Moffitt Entry Security Desk and sign out a key. You will be asked to leave the ID with the desk attendant while you are using the key. The key must be returned immediately upon completion of the task at hand and your ID will then be returned to you.

Locked out?

If an employee becomes locked out of their workspace between the hours of 5 p.m. and 7:30 a.m., please call Library Facilities at 510-685-7446. Either the Library Building Manager or Library Security will respond and give the employee access. If for some reason the Library responders are unavailable, or unable to give access, campus Facilities Services is available 7:30am-5pm to help with access. To reach campus Facilities call 510-642-1032. Please note campus Facilities Services will require a chart string at the time of services to cover the cost of their services ($120/hr as of 08/01/2021).