Frequently Asked Questions
- A universal charger that works with all current cell phone models and tablets is available in the Moffitt Library floor 3, where you'll find the public computers.
- There are 10 Android and 10 Apple Lightning USB wall chargers with cables available for check-out to UC Berkeley students at the Moffitt Circulation Desk and the Engineering Library Circulation Desk.
- The loan period is two hours with no renewal or overnight.
- Students must present their Cal1 ID card to borrow.
- See the Pay fines page for replacement and overdue charges.
No, devices may not be reserved in advance. Library laptops and iPads are available at Moffitt Library, Social Research Library, Engineering Library and the Bioscience & Natural Resources Library on a first-come, first-served basis. You can check their availability in OskiCat:
Yes. UC Berkeley undergraduate and graduate students with a valid Cal ID or yellow library card can borrow MacBook Air laptops and iPads from Moffitt Library, Social Research Library, Engineering Library and the Bioscience & Natural Resources Library.
Eligible students must be in good standing with the library (no fines, no overdue items, and no blocks).
UC Berkeley staff and faculty are not eligible to borrow library laptops, nor are members of the public or other non-student users with library privileges.
See the Electronic Devices Lending Policy for important guidelines, and a link to the Electronic Agreement Form.
- Item may be borrowed for 4 hours (no overnight), 1 day or 14 days depending on location.
- Laptops and iPads must be returned in-person to the library from which they were borrowed.
- Laptops and iPads are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are not available to reserve ahead of time. You can check current availability in OskiCat (iPad, MacBook Air with OSX, MacBook Air with Windows).
- Only one device can be checked out at a time per patron.
- Printing is available directly from library laptops or iPads via PrinterOn.
- MacBook Air 13” (256GB SSD, 8GB RAM) laptops are available, some with OSX and some with Windows OS. The following software is installed: Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Java, Flash, RealPlayer, Silverlight, etc.
- 32GB iPad Airs are available, with apps for office editing and reading ebooks.
Fines and charges
Borrowers are responsible for loss, damage, and theft of a laptop or iPad while in their possession. Borrowers should verify the condition of the device at the time of check-out and upon check-in. See the Pay fines page for replacement and overdue charges.