Can I check out a laptop at the library?
UC Berkeley undergraduate and graduate students with a valid Cal ID or yellow library card can borrow Apple laptops and iPads from the Moffitt Library Circulation Desk. Eligible students must be in good standing with the library (no fines, no overdue items, no recalls, and no blocks).
UC Berkeley staff and faculty are not eligible to borrow library laptops, nor are members of the public or other non-student users with library privileges.
- Laptops are available for four-hour loans plus one renewal.
- Laptops must be returned in-person to the Moffitt Circulation Desk and are not available for overnight check-out.
- Laptops are available on a first-come, first-serve basis and are not available to reserve ahead of time. You can check current availability in OskiCat (include links).
- Only one device can be checked out at a time per patron.
- Printing is not currently available directly from library laptops or iPads.
- Twenty MacBook Air 13” (256GB SSD, 8GB RAM) laptops are available, ten with OSX and ten with Windows OS. The following software is installed: Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Java, Flash, RealPlayer, QuickTime, Silverlight, etc.
- Ten 32GB iPad Airs are available, with apps for office editing and reading ebooks.
Fines and charges
Borrowers are responsible for loss, damage, and theft of a laptop or iPad while in their possession. Borrowers should verify the condition of the laptop at the time of check-out and upon check-in. Replacement charges are as followed:
- MacBook Air laptop: $2000
- Ipad: $1200
- Overdue fines: $20 per hour with the maximum fine being the replacement cost
- Replacement charges and fines cannot be waived or forgiven.