BTECH Minutes - 12/1/04

BERKELEY TECHNICAL SERVICES DISCUSSION GROUP MEETING MINUTES

Wednesday, December 1, 2004
9:00am to 11:00am
303 Doe Library

Agenda:

1. Announcements:

-Evalani Meyer will be rotating for one year as the new binding person for Main.

-Ava Rivas has been hired for 1000 hours to process check-in.

-NRLF has redesigned their website.  It is up and ready for everyone to look at.

2. Systems Gladis Update / C. Takaro

Resent big record sets temporarily not wanted by Melvyl (during UCLA load) to send: MCV for Marcive and AAS for Early American Imprints.

Changes to our export program to send records to RLIN: 1- to check to make sure a location is valid for RLIN even if it is a CJK record (some PFA CJK records were sent that shouldn't have been recently, and were rejected by RLIN) and 2- to truncate record having a SUM note too long for RLIN to handle. Truncated records will have as much of the SUM as possible, then will end with "[truncated]".

Changes to our program that sets up records for export to OCLC and RLIN to reject Early American Imprints records that we expect may begin to arrive soon via SCP. These will not have the add id of AAS like the fiche records do (since they are added by SCP) so the program will look for "aas" in the 035 to block these records from export, per license agreement.

New Tandem arrives at campus Data Center (Hearst and Oxford, SRB1). Significant time spent in system administrator training. Still to come: program modifications.  The old Tandem will stay running in the current location (Main Library machine room) while we bring up Gladis and all the associated data on the new machine. In other words, both will be running at the same time. Some time before schools starts in January we will make the switch over so that Gladis (and everything else) runs off the new machine only.  This will affect staff in a few ways:
1- at that time, all IP addresses for Gladis maintenance, circ, or GOPAC will have to be changed on each pc
2- We will shut down Gladis for a weekend (no renewals, no maintenance, etc.) during that intersession period to do the final switch over.
3- We need to do some programming to make everything ready for the new Tandem, which means a number of us will not be doing any of our usual programming for the next few weeks except in emergency cases.
4- Once we've switched to the new Tandem, everything should seem the same (hopefully faster!) to staff. Gladis itself won't be changed in ways staff or patrons will notice, other than the IP address change mentioned above.

The rest of Systems machines will be moving to the new Data Center between Christmas and New Years. We are probably going to shut down Gladis for one day (hopefully not longer) between Christmas and New Years to protect it while major equipment moving is happening in the machine room around the current Tandem.

Changed program that loads payroll records to the Gladis patron file to consider payroll records with student status - registered but not at UCB - as valid records.  Staff in this category will be updated now and no longer expired.  This change affects a few people (4 - 5) per month.

Problem discovered with the way some forms on the ejournals logs website were working, where selectors can indicate if a particular ejournal should or should not be part of their subject (location) based list.  This required small programming changes and the regeneration of all logs since late August.

Changes to our suite of record selection programs to better keep track of call number number - ie, under which call number a search target was found.  Sometimes we use the record selection programs to feed into other special project programs and this is why this was needed. It isn't being used for the report generation workflow.

NRLF change for FFPK values:  Form and Format and Packaging Codes - four character code that includes volume equivalents used for size tables. Codes manage physical dimensions and form of the material.  For another campus. There are 280+ valid codes, and Gladis checks to see if a code is valid at input.

Ran LASTSRCH to output cards and/or list entries for searches that reached the final search stage more than six months ago without resolution. This program is run twice a year.

Coordinating timing for the run of the program that deletes old order records, and which generates those large printouts of old in process, old on order, and all q level records with Jim Gordon. Usually this is run in November - will be run soon I believe.

Reports: listings of all CDROMS for GREF and MAIN, listing of ENVI records with "non circ" CIR notes, listing of Gladis accounts who can edit MAIN holdings, etc.

3. Barcode samples / C. Takaro

Charis brought in 3 different types of barcode samples and passed them around.  These came from a vendor that thought we might find them useful and want to buy them.

The first type was a barcode intended for CD's.  It comprised of 2 labels: one label was the barcode that could be put on the CD case and the other label was circular with the barcode number on it that could be put on the center of the CD itself.

The second barcode sample was a very thin one that could be used on maps or any item that you do not want the build up of extra thickness of barcode labels.

The third barcode sample was a type of bookmark (acid free) with the barcode at the top that could be placed inside the book with the barcode sticking out.

If any unit would be interested in purchasing large quantities of these, please let Charis know and she will find out the cost.

4. EBSCO online claim checker / J. Bussell

The EBSCO claim checker is no longer sent to us in paper format.  It is now only available online through EBSCONET.  For those units that process the claim checkers for EBSCO titles and want to learn to use it online please contact Jody for training.  It is very simple to use online.  The claim checker stays online for 30 days as opposed to the 15 days we had with the paper copy.  Please contact Jody if you have any questions.

5. BPM section for review, Serial Closing / J. Weeks

Copies of the draft Serial Closing section were passed out.  We went through the document and people suggested additions and changes.  The suggestion was made to add some definition of terms for withdrawn and temporarily suspended. It was also mentioned to remove references to MVM's since this document is for serials.  A separate document for MVM's could be added at a later time.  After the suggested changes are made to the document it will be sent to the group again for final approval.