BTECH Minutes - 10/6/04

BERKELEY TECHNICAL SERVICES DISCUSSION GROUP MEETING MINUTES

Wednesday, October 6, 2004
9:00am to 11:00am
303 Doe Library

Agenda:

1. Announcements:

-Jon Solomon has left the UCB Library.  He was our BPM webmaster so we are now in need of another volunteer to maintain the BPM changes.  If anyone who has these skills would like to volunteer please let me know.

-C. Scheiman and S. Wekselbaum are currently working on procedures for removing items from OCLC when all of Berkeley's holdings are gone in Gladis.  They will keep us posted as this procedure develops and is written.

-EDI claiming has been temporarily suspended due to the reorganization of staff and responsibilities within Technical Services. When staffing becomes more stable we will resume the project again.

-Admin. Group has approved an external LA 5 Electronic Resources cataloger position.  This will hopefully be posted soon.

2. Systems Gladis Update / C. Takaro

Reminder re:Utility number: Please key in 035, not 001. We had a rejected record from Melvyl due to this error.  If there already is a different utility number in the 035 it is fine to key another 035. The 001 is for our own system number, in other words, the Gladis number, which displays in the fixed field portion of the record.  Only in OCLC itself would the OCLC number be in the 001.

NOTE: We're down 1/4 of one position temporarily while Joe helps out LWNS with public PC ticket backlog. We also lost one Gladis/project programmer to SIP and an administrative assistant.

Evans Early American Imprints microfiche record load completed in August: 34,226 records loaded.

500,000 records for the Bancroft location cluster and Ethnic studies cluster resent to Pathfinder to display new/changed notes.

SIP related changes: deleted 23 gladis accounts, changing routing of some logs, within my own unit: ejournals handover (resulted in some downtime for ejournals logs and some minor programming changes).

Batch program to read through all of Gladis and change text “GSSI” or “Govt & Soc Sci Info Svc” to “Government Reference” in holdings notes owned by any location. 1500 notes changed.

Batch program to withdraw all FPRO records not at NRLF.  SUF was added with text: WITHDRAWN - Library permanently closed July 2003.  3725 SUF notes added, 420 existing SUF notes deleted. ~ 300 withdrawn serial records need further treatment. In a future stage of this project, all remaining FPRO records (those not already transferred to BIOS) with no other holdings will be deleted.

Fixed a bug in the GENSTX program which was causing a generic STO note to be added to MP format records for EART when one was not really needed.

Changed name and address for MUSI as result of their move to set new name and address for postcard notices and email notices.

Programming changes to allow for indexing the “LION” accession numbers - Literature Online - for records that we’re receiving via SCP.  The numbers have the form “Z123456789LN”.   Loading of the SCP weekly monograph files was held back while this project was being completed, so that the large "LION" sets could load and be indexed as requested.  The backlog of SCP monograph files is now caught up.

Read through all of Gladis and selected records with specific blt values to resend to Pathfinder for reindexing as format manuscript. 14,000 records resent.

Modified the Gladis short display to strip out $2 subfields and any second occurrence of the $x subfield in 856 fields, and to suppress the "Check with this library location for item availability"  note for FPRO materials.

RLIN21 preparation and testing

Continued reports for NRLF Table Of Contents scanning project.

All campus record loads (updates and new records) have been "frozen" and not yet loaded to Melvyl for the past few weeks.  Our updates that were held are being loaded now, they're up to the 9/4/04 file. Here's an update: From Melvyl "CDL plans to switch in the reloaded, reindexed and remerged database on Sunday September 26. Loading will resume by Thursday morning. We anticipate it will take 3-4 weeks to catch up the files that have accumulated during the freeze. Although we can't yet give you an exact date, we would appreciate you holding your large files until the beginning of November. These large files will be loaded interspersed with UCLA catch up loading which begins in November."  The large files refer to MARCIVE and Early American Imprints records.

3. Withdrawn print records with continuing electronic access / C. McEwan

When you are withdrawing a record for a print title that is continued by electronic access only or has continuing electronic access, you need to make sure there is a second holdings structure for web call number in the record.  In order to maintain electronic access to these titles we must maintain a WEB call number in the record.  If it does not have one then you must notify SERMAINT or MONMAINT to add one.  If the record does not have this then potentially the electronic access will go away if the record is deleted.  Any record that has an 856 should probably have a location web.  Perhaps at some point this could be done programmatically by systems.

4. Technical Services Reorganization

There was a long discussion of the changes going on in Technical Services due to all the staffing losses due to SIP and unfilled positions.  An organizational chart was passed out for us to look at during the discussion.  C. McEwan, R. Green and S. Wekselbaum all went over the organization chart and how the people are now spread over their departments.

C. McEwan is now the new Head of the new unit called Continuing & Electronic Resources Division.  This encompasses the Receiving & Check-in Team and the Cataloging and Maintenance Team.

R. Green is the Head of Collection Core Services Division, which includes the Payments Unit, Innopac Management Unit, and Ordering Unit. In addition, the Technical Services Electronic Resources Acquisitions Program Manager and the Out of Print Acquisitions Coordinator are members of the CCS Division.

S. Wekselbaum is the Head of the new Electronic & Monographic Resources division with T. Mendoza being the Assistant Division Head.  These departments include: Monographic Receiving, Prompcat Services, First search, Marking, Database Maintenance, Routing & Sorting.  Also under the larger unit are Cataloging, Slavic Cataloging and Theses/Dissertations.

All noted that there are many fewer people to do the same work.  They are all working on the new workflow to keep things running as smoothly as possible.