the UC History Digital Archives

the UC History Digital Archives

Search the San Francisco collection
Home > General History > The Ten Campuses > San Francisco >

Colleges and Schools

About UC San Francisco
:: Historical Overview
:: Administrative Officers

Academic Units
:: Colleges and Schools
:: Academic Departments
:: Graduate Division
:: Institutes and Research Centers
:: Summer Sessions

Student Life
:: Student Housing
:: Student Government
:: Student Publications
:: Student Services
:: Traditions

Libraries and the Arts
:: Cultural Programs
:: Libraries

Additional Resources
:: Related Links
:: Bibliography

:: Sources

San Francisco: Colleges and Schools

School of Dentistry
School of Medicine
School of Nursing
School of Pharmacy

School of Dentistry
The College of Dentistry was established as an integral part of the University on September 7, 1881 by the Regents, acting on the recommendation of the medical faculty. For ten years the medical faculty generously provided the college with lecture rooms, technical laboratories, and clinics in the Medical School. In some divisions, instruction was given to medical and dental students jointly.

In 1891, instruction in the dental curriculum, except the work in anatomy, was moved to the Donohoe Building at the corner of Market and Taylor Streets, San Francisco, and was continued there for nine years. Instruction in anatomy was transferred in 1898 to the buildings of the Affilliated Colleges and a year later all instruction in dentistry, except clinical work, was moved to a new dental building on that site. The clinics remained in the Donohoe Building until 1906, when the building was destroyed by earthquake and fire.

All divisions of the College of Dentistry were on the Parnassus Avenue campus by July, 1906, where, at what was later known as the Medical Center, there was a gradual coordination of the teaching and research of the School of Dentistry, the School of Medicine, the School of Nursing, the School of Pharmacy, and the several campus-wide research centers and institutes.

In September, 1954, the College of Dentistry offered instruction for the first time in its new quarters in the Medical Sciences Building. It occupied four floors in this building, as well as two floors in the adjacent Clinics Building.

By action of the Academic Senate in 1956, the College of Dentistry was changed to the School of Dentistry. There were approximately 300 dental students, 48 dental hygiene students, and 20 postgraduate and graduate students in the school by the mid-1960's. source

to top

School of Medicine
The second medical school in the far west was founded in San Francisco in 1864 by Dr. Hugh H. Toland, a graduate of the University of Transylvania at Lexington who migrated to the Pacific coast during the Gold Rush. It was later deemed desirable to affiliate the Toland Medical College with the University of California. Dr. Richard Beverly Cole was chosen as the new dean of the college, and negotiations were carried on with President Daniel Coit Gilman. In 1873, Toland's college became the Medical Department of the University.

The earthquake and fire of 1906 destroyed the outpatient department and a large number of private and public hospitals in the city, giving rise to a serious bed shortage. This led to the establishment of the first University hospital, under the leadership of Dr. Harry Mitchell Sherman, professor of surgery. Space was obtained in the medical school building by relocating the first two years of medical school instruction in Berkeley. Male and female wards were established in the upper floors of the building, and an outpatient department was formed in the basement. Other hospital accommodations were soon required and under the leadership of Dr. Herbert Moffitt, funds were obtained from private sources to construct the University of California Hospital in 1917. The outpatient department outgrew its basement accommodations and subsequent planning culminated in occupancy of the present Outpatient Clinic Building in 1934.

A later plan was developed to provide a new teaching hospital and a Medical Sciences Building. Funds were appropriated by the legislature for the construction of the Herbert C. Moffitt Hospital, which opened in 1955, and for the erection of the Medical Sciences Building which was completed in 1958. After a lapse of 52 years, all classes of the medical school were returned to the San Francisco campus.

Rapid growth and extension of the scope and depth of programs in all fields and disciplines of the health sciences made it necessary to obtain further facilities. By action of the state legislature, and with assistance from federal agencies, the San Francisco Medical Center campus opened new Health Sciences Instruction and Research Buildings in 1965-66. Completion of these facilities would permit the accommodation of 128 medical students in each of the classes of the School of Medicine, and wouls provide increased opportunities for teaching and research in all of the professional schools and in graduate academic programs. source

to top

School of Nursing
The University of California Training School for Nurses was established in San Francisco in 1907 and in 1909, Lillian Cohen became its first graduate. A three-year non-degree curriculum was continued until 1934. In 1917, a five-year curriculum leading to a baccalaureate degree was adopted.

Instruction in public health nursing was first offered to graduate nurses on the Berkeley campus in 1918 and in 1925, additional curricula in nursing education and nursing service administration were initiated.

In 1939, the Board of Regents authorized the creation of a School of Nursing to administer all curricula in nursing leading to the bachelor of science degree. In 1949, a program for graduate nurses leading to the master of science degree in nursing was authorized. In 1959, programs for graduate nurses at bachelor's and master's degree levels were transferred from the Berkeley campus to the San Francisco Medical Center campus.

The School of Nursing was organized as an autonomous school under the direction of a dean who was responsible to the chancellor of the San Francisco Medical Center. The program leading to the bachelor of science degree was five academic years in length and included two years of pre-nursing general education and three years in the School of Nursing. Graduate programs were offered in the areas of maternal-child, medical-surgical, psychiatric, and public health nursing. The primary function of graduate programs was to prepare nurses for leadership positions in nursing education and nursing service and for research.

Between 1907 and 1936, a total of 660 nurses completed the diploma program. Since 1917, a total of 2,616 have completed the baccalaureate program in nursing and since 1949, a total of 328 completed the master's degree program. source

to top

School of Pharmacy
The School of Pharmacy was first established as the California College of Pharmacy on July 10, 1872, and was incorporated as a private college on August 7 of that year. It was the first college of pharmacy located west of the Mississippi.

On June 2, 1873, the college became affiliated with the University of California under the "Organic Act" of the University, which permitted the college to maintain autonomy in its operation by retaining its own board of trustees and business management. Under the terms of this agreement, the degree of graduate in pharmacy was to be conferred by the University upon the candidates recommended by the college. The college held its inauguration exercises on July 8, 1873, soon after affiliating with the University; there were 27 students in the first class.

Over the years the curriculum of the School of Pharmacy was improved and extended so that it included a minimum of two years of pre-professional education as a requirement for admission and four years of professional study in the school. Students completing this curriculum were granted the professional degree, doctor of pharmacy.

During and after the 1930's, the school pioneered in upgrading pharmaceutical education from a four-year to a five-year and finally to a six-year program. In 1937, the school initiated graduate instruction leading to the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in pharmaceutical chemistry.

By 1965, the school had facilities to accommodate 80 students in each class of the professional curriculum and approximately 40 students in the graduate program.

Prior to 1934, the College of Pharmacy was organized in departments comprising pharmacy, chemistry, botany, materia medica, and physiology and hygiene. In 1934, at the time the college became an integral part of the University, the departmental structure was discontinued, and the college operated as a single department with the dean serving as chairman. In 1958, the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry was established in the School of Pharmacy with a separate chairman. With the expansion of the curriculum and the increase in faculty, a Department of Pharmacy became necessary and was established in 1965, also with a separate chairman. source

to top

the UC History Digital Archives

Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.