the UC History Digital Archives

the UC History Digital Archives

Search the Los Angeles collection
Home > General History > The Ten Campuses > Los Angeles >

Departments


About UC Los Angeles
:: Historical Overview
:: Administrative Officers

Academic Units
:: Colleges and Schools
:: Academic Departments
:: Graduate Division
:: Institutes and Research Centers
:: Summer Sessions

Student Life
:: Student Housing
:: Student Government
:: Student Publications
:: Student Services
:: Traditions

Libraries and the Arts
:: Cultural Programs
:: Libraries

Additional Resources
:: Related Links
:: Bibliography

:: Sources

print-friendly format

Los Angeles: Departments


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Indo-European Studies
Information Studies
Integrated Manufacturing Engineering
International Development Studies
International Relations
Islamic Studies
Italian

Indo-European Studies
There is no history currently available for this department.

to top

Information Studies
There is no history currently available for this department.

to top

Integrated Manufacturing Engineering
There is no history currently available for this department.

to top

International Development Studies
There is no history currently available for this department.

to top

International Relations
There is no history currently available for this department.

to top

Islamic Studies
There is no history currently available for this department.

to top

Italian
Italian was established as a department at Los Angeles in September, 1935, and the four courses which were announced during registration week two of beginning language and two of literature--were taught by two instructors: Charles Speroni and Franco Bruno Averardi. Students showed an immediate interest in Italian, and the young department began to flourish. Two years later, a course of elementary Italian was taught by Perina Piziali, who was an assistant in the psychology department.

During World War II enrollment dropped considerably, and the only instructor left in the department was Speroni. In 1943-44, in connection with the Army Specialty Training Program (ASTP), a group of 26 soldiers came to the campus where they spent seven months taking an intensive course in Italian, and a few "area" courses on Italy. After the war it was necessary to increase the staff: first with Carlo L. Golino (1946), and three years later with Pier Maria Pasinetti. The latter was brought to the campus to teach both Italian literature and the newly-established course on world literature.

The department was not always an autonomous one. It was a separate department between 1935 and 1938; between 1938-40, it was under the chairmanship of Arthur P. McKinley, who was then chairman of the Department of Classics; between 1940-41, it was under the chairmanship of Henry Brush, who was also chairman of the French department; and between 1941-42, it was chaired by César Barja, who was at the same time chairman of the Spanish department. In 1942, it became part of the Department of Spanish and Italian, and this union lasted until the academic year 1948-49. In 1949, it once again became a separate department, under the chairmanship of Speroni, who guided its growth until 1956, when he was asked to become director of Summer Sessions. The department also has been under the chairmanship of Golino, Dante Della Terza, and Franco Fido.

In 1947-48, the department began offering the A.B. degree with a major in Italian, and in 1951-52, an M.A. degree. Graduate instruction was started in 1951-52, and in view of the increasing enrollment, the Ph.D. degree in Romance languages with a major in Italian was approved by the graduate council in 1958-59. In 1964, the department also began offering the Ph.D. degree entirely in Italian language and literature.

The department had a language laboratory and a departmental library for graduate and advanced students. Since 1957, it published the review, Italian Quarterly. source

to top


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

 
 
the UC History Digital Archives

Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.