Los Angeles: Departments
The history department at Los Angeles was
served by its first chairman, Frank J. Klingberg, from its inception
in 1919 to 1937. In 1923, David K. Bjork and Waldermar Westergaard
joined the department; in 1924, Rowland Hill Harvey; and in 1927,
Roland D. Hussey. Excellent personnel gave a sound basis for the
department's growth. The job was more than that of building a department;
it was also that of building a library. There was tireless and thankless
effort to build the collections necessary for research.
The most important question in forming the department
was what fields were to be emphasized. The most obvious field was
that of Anglo-American history, just as Berkeley had developed the
Latin American field. Berkeley had the Bancroft Library; the Los
Angeles campus was near the Huntington Library. Into this British
field, in addition to the chairman, Frank J. Klingberg, came Harvey,
William Forbes Adams, Nelson Vance Russell, Clinton N. Howard, Charles
Mowat, John S. Galbraith, Trygve Tholfsen and Mark Curtis. The European
field was more difficult, because it had to be built from nothing.
The Latin American field was not emphasized in the beginning because
of the work in this field in the department at Berkeley.
The history department was one of the first four
departments on the campus to be approved for Ph.D. work. The first
degree was awarded in June, 1938, to Kenneth Bailey.
As Howard said to Mowat, "Charles, you do
not understand; we have to build our country while we live in it.
Our churches are not heavily endowed and ivy covered as in England."
The same is true of the history department. In 1945, there were
52 students in graduate work and 1,800 students enrolled in history
courses. In 1965, there were 318 graduates, and 7,313 students enrolled
in history courses. source
There is no history currently available
for this department.