Eleventh Emeritus Faculty Lecture
Honoring George DeVos
Published Works from the 1990s
- Empathy to Alienation: Problems in Human Belonging. Edited by David Jordan
and marc Swartz. Personality and the Cultural Construction of Society:
Papers in Honor of Melford E. Spiro. Tuscaloosa, AL: University of
Alabama Press. pp. 222-242.
- With Marcelo Su·rez-Orozco. Status Inequality: The Self in Culture.
Newbury Park, CA: Sage, 1990. <<Reviews
of this work>>
- With Marcelo Su·rez-Orozco. "An Ethnography of Empowerment."
Preface to Crossing Cultural Borders: Education for Immigrant Families in
America. Edited by Concha Delgado-Gaitan and Henry Treuba. London:
Falmer Press. pp.1-9.
- Social Cohesion and Alienation: Minorities in the United States and
Japan. Boulder: Westview Press, 1992. <<
Reviews of this work >>
- "A Psycho cultural Approach to Ethnic Interaction in Contemporary
Research. In Ethnic Identity, Formation and Transmission among Hispanics
and Other Minorities. Edited by Martha E. Bernal and George P. Knight.
N.Y.: SUNY Press, 1993.
- "A Cross-Cultural Perspective: The Japanese Family as a Unit in Moral
Socialization." In Family, Self and Society: Towards a New Agenda
for Family Research. Edited by P. Cowan, J. Filed, D. Hansen, M.
Scolnick, G. Swanson. Hillsadale, NJ: Erlbaum Assoc., 1993.
- With Curtis Vaughn. "The Interpersonal Self: A Level of Psychocultural
Analysis. In The Psychoanalytic Study of Society. Edited by Bryce
Boyer. Vol. 17, Hillsdale, NJ: The Analytic Press. pp. 95-142.
- With Eun-Young Kim. "Koreans in Japan: Problems with Achievement, Alienation,
and Authority." In California Immigrants in World Perspective.
Edited by Ivan Light and Parminder Bhachu. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Books.
- "Problems with Achievement, Alienation, and Authority in Korean
Minorities in The United States and Japan." In Overseas Koreans in
The Global Context. Edited by K. K. Lee and Walter Slote. Seoul:
Association for the Study of Koreans Abroad. pp. 145-180.
- "The rites of pleasure: The religion, morality and aesthetics of
bodily propriety." In Body Image in Cultural Context:
Interdisciplinary Essays. Edited by Irma Dosamantes. Los Angeles: DMT
Publications. pp. 35-63.
- "Japanese Sense of Self. A Review." The Journal of Japanese
Studies. Summer 1994, 20(2):187-194.
- "A Personal Odyssey." In The Psychoanalytic Study of Society.
Vol. 19. Edited by Bryce Boyer, Ruth Boyer, Howard F. Stein. Hillsdale, NJ:
The Analytic Press. pp. 5-22.
- "Psychological Anthropology: A Professional Odyssey." In The
Psychoanalytic Sutyd of Society. Vol. 19. Edited by Bryce Boyer, Ruth
Boyer, Howard F. Stein. Hillsdale, NJ: The Analytic Press. pp.23-88.
- "Adaptation Sociale des Jeunes Minoritaires Etude ComparČe
Internationale." In Roger Bastide ou Le RČjouissement De L'Abime.
Edited by Philippe Laburthe-Tolba. Paris: Harmattan. pp. 187-222.
- With Marcelo Su·rez-Orozco and Carola Su·rez-Orozco. Migrazione e
status de minoranza: l'adattamento dei giovani messidani negli Stati Uniti.
In Criminologia Pychiatria Forense e Psicologia Giudiziaria. Edited
by Vincenzo Mastronardi. pp. 467-495.
- Ethnic pluralism: conflict and accommodation - the role of ethnicity in social history.
In: Ethnic Identity: Creation, Conflict, and Accommodation. Walnut Creek : Altamira Press 1995, pp. 349-379.
- With Hiroshi Wagatsuma. Cultural identity and minority status in
Japan. In: Ethnic Identity: Creation, Conflict, and Accommodation. Walnut Creek : Altamira Press 1995, pp.
- With Lola Romanucci-Ross. Ethnic identity: a psychocultural perspective.
In: Ethnic Identity: Creation, Conflict, and Accommodation. Walnut Creek: Altamira Press 1995, pp. 349-379.
- "Internalized Achievement or External Authority: Some Cultural
Comparisons of Responses to TAT Card 1. In Rorschachiana XXI Yearbook of
the International Rorschach Society. Edited by Irving B. Weiner.
G–ttingen: Hogrefe & Huber.
- "Psychoculutral Continuities in Japanese Social Motivation. In Japanese
Childrearing: Two generations of Scholarship. Edited by David and
Barbara Shwalb. N.Y.: The Guilford Press, 1996. 44-84.
- "Heritage of Exploitation: A Brief TAT Report on South Brazilian
Youth." In Culture and Cross-Cultural Dimensions of Political
Psychology. Edited by S. Renshon and J. Dukkitt. Jun. 1997,
- With Takeyuki Tsuda. "Socialization and Social Vitality: A
Psychocultural Perspective. In The Vitality of Japan. Edited by
Armand Cheese, T. Inoguchi, Keehn and J. Stockwin. Oxford: St. Anthony's.
- With Walter H. Slote. Confucianism and the Family in an
Interdisciplinary, Comparative Context. Albany: State
University of New York Press, 1998. <<Reviews of
- Chapter Seventeen, Confucian Family Socialization: The Religion, Morality,
and Aesthetics of Propreity. In Confucianism and the Family in an
Interdisciplinary, Comparative Context. Edited by George A. De Vos and
Walter H. Slote. Albany: University of New York Press.
- "Marginality and Social Isolation in Urban Japan." Review of On
the Margins of Japanese Society, by Carolyn Stevens. Japanese Studies.
- "The Confucian Heritage: Internalization and alienation among
Japanese and Koreans in diverse cultural settings." In Culture,
Ethnicity and Migration. Liber Amicorum Prof E. Roosens. Edited by M. C.
Foblets and C. L. Pang. Leuven, Belgium: Acco.
- "Toward an Integrated Social Science" Ethos. March 1999,
Status Inequality: The Self in Culture. 1990.
Review by Tamotsu Shibutani. Contemporary Sociology. Nov. 1991,
- 1992 Review by Joan G. Miller. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology.
Review by Robert Lawless. American Anthropologist. Mar. 1992,
94(1):195-196. [requires Adobe Acrobat]
- 1992 Review by Stephen Small. Sociological Inquiry. Summer 1992,
Social Cohesion and Alienation: Minorities in the United States and Japan.
Review by Hiroshi Ishida. Contemporary Sociology. May 1994,
Review by Merry I. White. Journal of Asian Studies. Feb. 1993,
Review by Yoshinobu Ota. American Anthropologist. Jun. 1993,
95(2):469-470. [requires Adobe Acrobat]
- 1994 Review by Koji Taira. The Journal of Japanese Studies. Winter
1994, 20(1):166-170. [Citation]
Confucianism and the Family. 1998.
Review by A. T. Nuyen. Asian Philosophy. Jul. 1999, 9(2):147-150.
DeVos Home | Biographical
Information | Bibliography
Home | Anthropology Department
| The George & Mary Foster
Anthropology Library | Faculty
Copyright © 2007 The Regents of the University of California.
All rights reserved.
Document maintained on server: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ by the Anthropology Library.
If you have questions about this page, mail email@example.com
08/23/2007. Server manager: contact