Born: 1917, Hewitt, Minnesota, USA
Education: University of Minnesota, BA 1938, MA 1940;
Radcliffe College, MA 1941, Ph.D. 1945 (Anthropology)
- Assistant Social Science Analyst, WRA, Poston, Arizona, 1942-43.
- Research Assistant, Harvard University, 1944-45.
- Senior Research Officer, Rhodes-Livingstone Institute, (Northern Rhodesia), 1946-47, 1956-57, 1962-63.
- Director, Rhodes-Livingstone Institute, 1947-51.
- Senior Lecturer, Manchester University, Manchester, England, 1951-1953.
- Associate Professor, Goucher College, Baltimore, Maryland, 1954-55.
- Associate Professor and Research Associate, African Studies Program, Boston University, Boston, Mass., 1955-59; part-time Research Associate, 1959-62.
- Professor, Brandeis University, Waltham, Mass., 1959-63.
- Visiting Professor, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, 1963-64.
- Professor, University of California, Berkeley, CA., 1964-1984. Professor Emeritus, 1984-.
- Visiting Professor, University of Zambia, Lusaka, Zambia 1987.
- Visiting Senior Research Fellow,Refugee Studies Programme, Queen
Elizabeth House, Oxford, England, April 1988-April 1989.
- Women's lives and social change, Pomo Indians, Ukiah, California, summers 1939, 1940, 1941.
- Assimilation and resistance, Makah Reservation, Neah Bay, Washington, Oct 1941-Oct 1942.
- Relocation and response, Poston War Relocation Camp, Poston Arizona, Nov 1942-Sept 1943.
- The impact of economic and other forces upon kinship, familial, political, and religious life among the
Plateau Tonga, Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia), Aug 1946-Sept 1947, June 1948-Sept 1950; brief visits
1956, 1962, 1965, 1968, 1972, 1978, 1982, 1987, 1989,1992.
- Gwembe Tonga response to forced resettlement and the creation of an independent African state, Gwembe District and its diaspora, Zambia, Sept 1956-Sept 1957, Jan 1960, Sept 1962Aug 1963, July-August 1965, July 1972-1973, June 1973-Sept 1973, Dec 1981-Sept 1982, April-August 1992; May-August 1996; briefvisits 1968, 1987, 1989.
- The transformation or a frontier town, Darwin Northern Territory, Australia, July-Sept 1966.
- The Hopi-Navaho Resettlement Scheme, Navajo Reservation, Arizona and New Mexico, Dec 1976.
- Graduated Phi Beta Kappa, Summa cum Laude, 1938.
- Simon Senior Fellow, Manchester University, 1951.
- Fellow, Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences Stanford, CA (National Institutes of Health Fellowship), 1967-68.
- Lewis Henry Morgan Lecturer, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, 1973.
- Distinguished Lecture, American Anthropological Association, Annual Meeting, 1975.
- Fairchild Fellow, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 1975-76.
- Distinguished Lecture, Southwest Anthropological Society, 1977.
- Elected to National Academy of Sciences, 1977.
- Harvey Lecturer, University of New Mexico, 1978.
- Elected to American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1978.
- Honorary Doctor of Sociology, Brown University, Providence, RI, 1979.
- Honorary Foreign Fellow, Royal Anthropological Institute, 1979
- The Bernard Moses Lecture in the Social Sciences, U. of California, Berkeley, 1981.
- Outstanding Achievement Award, Society of Woman Geographers, 1982.
- Rivers Memorial Medal, Royal Anthropological Institute, 1982.
- Faculty Research Lecture, The University of California, Berkeley 1983.
- The Berkeley Citation, University of California, Berkeley, 1985
- Honorary Doctor of Science, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, 1985.
- Malinowski Distinguished Lecture, Society for Applied Anthropology Annual Meeting, 1985.
- Distinguished Africanist Award for 1988, American Association for African Studies, Annual Meeting, 1988.
- Honorary Doctor of Letters, University of Zambia, 1992.
Past Service, Professional and Other Organizations:
- Member review panels National Institute of Mental Health and National Research Council.
- Member Steering Committee, World Food Study, National Academy of Sciences.
- Member Board on Science and Technology for International Development, National Academy of Science.
- Member, Joint Committee on Africa of the Social Science Research Council and the American Council of Learned Societies.
- Member Committee on Ethics, American Anthropological Association
- Member Board of American Association of African Studies.
- Member, Advisory Committee, Wenner-Gren Foundation.
- Member, Council, Western Branch of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Membership in Professional Associations:
- American Anthropological Association
- American Ethnological Society
- Association of Social Anthropologists
- Royal Anthropological Institute,
- Society for Political and Legal Anthropology
- American Society for Applied Anthropology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association for African Studies.
Colson Home | Biographical
Information | Bibliography
Home | Anthropology Department
| The George & Mary Foster
Anthropology Library | Faculty
Copyright © 2007 The Regents of the University of California.
All rights reserved.
Document maintained on server: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ by the Anthropology Library.
If you have questions about this page, mail email@example.com
08/23/2007. Server manager: contact