RRC Planning Workshop
Defining Reference and Research Services
February 12, 2001
- There will be reference and a print collection in Moffitt
- There will be a single reference point on the second floor in the SubjectHall in Doe
- Desks in Information Center and GSSI will be merged (new desk)
- The level of service in Doe will extend into "research" for any categoryof user
- Hours of service will be extended into evenings/weekends
- All final reference services require pr campaign to advertise and clarify
- Two reference points will not be differentiated in terms of "class" orstatus neither for service nor clientele nor service provider (valuable,excellent service in both locations with skilled staff valued for theirexpertise as either special generalist or subject specialist)
- Doe reference point will not refer questions to Moffitt because of categoryof user or question too "basic" - only if unique resources are in Moffitt
- SSEALS will remain as it is almost like a subject specialty library withinDoe
- Ideal would be to double staff in Moffitt except for demonstrably slowertimes and triple staff in Doe during busy times, including an expert forGSSI (not just current staff but anyone who develops expertise)
- All current RRC and TLIB staff will contribute to reference service insome way. The direction will be to hire more reference generalists butany interested librarian has an option for a collection assignment.
- Moffitt collection will be limited by space do not want to reduce numberof computers
- Do not duplicate electronic databases with print indexes (except for uncovereddates or incomplete content online)
- Confirm basic catalog skills for all on public desks and roving to reducenumber of erroneous referrals to stacks or circulation
The questions that follow are undecided. Answers will be determined bythe DMUH group augmented by the representatives from each of the subjectcouncils. Various decision-making techniques will be used, including theuse of straw polls and 70/30 minus two for consensus building. (About 70%or more of me can live with it)
- Email/eform reference should NOT be doing the work for the student andsending them the results.
Undecided QuestionsTargeted Clientele
- 1 Is Moffitt clientele defined in terms of category (undergraduates) orin terms of level (introductory or general)
- 2 Can we confirm that Doe serves all levels but focusses on researchneeds and serves the public.
Level of service
- 3 Do we want Moffitt to serve as referral point for help with all undergraduatecampus need?
- 4 Do we want the name to help differentiate the service?
- 5 Is Moffitt advertised as the place to start for undergraduates butnot the place to finish?
- 6 Do we want Doe reference hours to match Moffitt?
- 7 Size/focus of print collection in Moffitt atlases, dictionaries, subjectencyclopedias, lit crit, country bibs, Master Plots, Opposing Viewpoints,support for Tlib classes (History7B), "starting place" ready ref
- 8 Should Moffitt collection be completely duplicated in Doe no uniquetitles that would require Doe to refer to Moffitt
- 9 What is the contribution of non RRC career staff to D/M reference services?(rovers? stacks helpers? technical assistance?)
- 10 To what extent should Doe and Moffitt staff serve at the other location?(can we distinguish by allowing only those with special generalists abilitiesserve at both?)
- 11 Do we want to rotate evenings and weekends or hire just evening/weekendstaff or combination?
- 12 What do we think about reference "sabatticals" period of time offdesk to work on special projects
- 13 Do we single staff in the evenings? Single with a student "helper" fortechnical?
- 14 Does Doe/Moffitt provide general reference for subject specialty librariesin the evenings and weekends? Is it catalog assistance only? Catalog assistanceand get started on a paper? Try to answer a reference collection with onlineand basic print resources (encyclopedias, handbooks, web sites, e resources?)Do we include in our program statement and plan/publicize as such or dowe just do it if it happens or do we not do it at all?
- 15 Do we want to use rovers for technical assistance? For known item catalogassistance? Do we want them in the reference areas with us? In the InfoCenter? In the stacks? (Gardner shelvers have been trained on Gladis tohelp with known item,location questions. Untested and unpublicized)
Other Services RAS
- 16 Do we want RAS in Doe or in Moffitt or both?
- 17 Do we want RAS same day or schedule in advance?
- 18 Do we want to start RAS earlier in the semester? (how can we get datato see if it is needed?)
Other Services telephones
- 19 Looks like there is overwhelming interest in a dedicated phone answerer.Should that person be in Doe? Does Moffitt have a telephone at all? Whatdo we do in the evenings/weekends?
Other Services tier 3
- 20 Do we need an online calendar of specialists so that referrals can bemade when person is available? Do we want office hours? Is there a waywe can provide the user with more than an email/phone number and a goodluck without tying staff down?
Other Services stacks
- 21 Should we put telephones, rovers, or trained shelvers in the stacksto help?
- 22 What do we think of the suggestion to have a telephone with options:to connect to circ or to ref?
Other Services e-ref
- 23 IF we develop a workable e-chat system, can we do it in-house in bothlocations with questions going to telephone answerer?
- 24 Do we want to limit some computer clusters anywhere to UCB ID card holdersonly?
- 25 Do we want to target specific computer areas by clientele or by intendeduse? (e.g. current Info Center for public and 2nd floor ID only OR current Info Center for self sufficient users, regardless of status,and floor two for those who need assistance can be marketed as such requiringIds with several designated by us for public who needs help)
- 26 Can we start with the current Information Center being an unstaffedself serve computer cluster with signage to go up for help? Or telephonestation?
- 27 What do we think of having the Info Center have a single student monitorat all times to provide directions to services and locations and techassistance no other help (a full time student monitor is the equivalentstaff costs of a monitor to open one of the 2nd floor doors or a student to rove in the stacks
- 28 Should we offer the space to IST to staff as a lab?