Checking Out a Project: Quick Checkout
When you want to update your Subversion repository, you'll make your changes in a local working copy of the repository and use SmartSVN to synchronize the local working copy and the repository.
You create your local working copy by performing a checkout in SmartSVN. The checkout is a one-time procedure which downloads all files from the repository. There's usually no need to do another checkout from the same repository; you'll keep your local working copy synchronized with the repository by using SmartSVN commands.
To create a local working copy, you just need to select a local folder for SmartSVN to use. If your repository already contains files for your site, SmartSVN will download the current versions of the repository files into a subfolder with the same name as your repository (SmartSVN 3) or into the exact folder you select (SmartSVN 4, SmartSVN 5).
A quick checkout downloads every file from your repository into your local working copy. To download individual files, use the detailed checkout procedure.
- In the popup window you opened in the previous step, click the folder icon to the right of the Local Directory: text box.
- In the Select Directory popup window, navigate to your preferred location for your local working copy folder.
- To use an existing folder, click on the folder name and click the Select button. To create a new folder, click the Create... button, enter the new folder name in the text box, and click the OK button to dismiss the popup. Click the Select button.
- The Local Directory: text box is now populated. Click the Next button.
- Enter the username and password provided to you by your LCMS administrator. Check the check box labeled Save password. Click the OK button.
- The Password Store is used by SmartSVN to manage your repository passwords and to log you in to your repositories automatically. Select a Master Password you'll remember easily. In subsequent sessions, SmartSVN will ask you only for your master password.
- Click the Finish button.