Library Proxy Server
You do not need the proxy server if you connect to the Internet through the UC Berkeley network in a campus building, residence hall, or via AirBears2.
If you connect to the Internet through CalVisitor, you will not be able to access licensed library resources, or use the Library Proxy Server to access licensed library resources.
Use the Library Proxy Server to remotely access UCB only article databases, electronic journals, etc. You must abide by the Library's conditions of use and licensing restrictions for electronic resources.
Configure your browser:
- Proxy set up instructions for:
- Firefox in Windows
- Firefox in Mac
- Google Chrome in Windows
- Google Chrome in Mac OSX
- Internet Explorer 10 and 11 in Windows
- Internet Explorer 9 in Windows
- Internet Explorer 8 in Windows
- iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch
- OSX Yosemite
- Safari in Mac OSX "Snow Leopard" and later
- Safari in Mac OSX "Leopard" and earlier
- Configure your browser to point to
- Your web browser must be set to accept all cookies. If you'd prefer not to do that, consider using the Virtual Private Network (VPN) system rather than the proxy server.
- Use the Browser Configuration Check tool to find out if your browser is configured correctly.
- Browsers configured to use the proxy will give an error message such as Proxy Server Refused Connection when you try to access a resource URL that starts with https. If you encounter this error, please try accessing a different resource whose URL does NOT begin with "https" (such as the Oxford English Dictionary). You will be asked to log into the proxy. After you've logged in, please access the resource with the "https" URL again. Subsequent access to "https" resources within the same browser session should not trigger this error.
Alternative: use the Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Who may use the Library Proxy Server:
- Current UC Berkeley students, faculty, and staff
- People currently affiliated with UC Berkeley:
- Unregistered UC Berkeley students in good standing and working towards a degree.
- UC Berkeley emeritus professors and retired staff.
- University of California Office of the President (UCOP) staff with valid UC Berkeley library cards.
- UC Extension students with valid UC Berkeley library cards (must be a California resident and apply for the card in person at the Privileges Desk, floor 1 Doe Library).
- UC Extension faculty with valid UC Berkeley library cards.
- Visiting scholars and post-doctoral fellows who are registered with the Visiting Scholars and Postdoc Affairs office.
- Current Lawrence Berkeley National Lab employees with dual UCB appointments
- Use your CalNet ID or Library PIN number to connect to the proxy server
Who may not use the Library Proxy Server:
- UC Berkeley students, faculty and staff whose borrowing privileges are blocked.
- If you connect to the Internet through CalVisitor, you will not be able to access licensed library resources, or use the Library Proxy Server to access licensed library resources.
- People not currently affiliated with UC Berkeley:
- Those who have purchased a UC Berkeley library card
- The general public
- Former employees, domestic partners, or volunteers
- Persons unofficially or only loosely affiliated with UC Berkeley
- Associates of other University of California campuses