Electronic Devices Lending Policy
- The library lends Apple MacBook Air laptops 13” (some laptops will run Windows and some laptops will run OSX) and Apple Air iPads for checkout.
- Laptops and tablets may be borrowed from:
- Laptop loan periods:
- 4 hour loans: Engineering Library, Social Research Library, Moffitt Library
- 1 day loans: Bioscience Library, Social Research Library
- 14 day loans: Moffitt Library
- UC Berkeley Students with a valid Cal ID or yellow library card may borrow a device for use anywhere.
- Eligible students must be in good standing with the Library (no fines, no overdue items, and no blocks).
- Students have full administrative privileges restricted by Deep Freeze.
- Library devices use Deep Freeze to restrict data from being saved to the hard drive.
- Users are responsible for saving to cloud-based services or to an external drive.
- You can check their availability in OskiCat:
- There are 10 Android and 10 Apple Lightning USB wall chargers with cables available for check-out to UC Berkeley students at Moffitt Library and the Engineering Library Circulation Desk.
- The loan period is two hours with no renewal or overnight.
- Students must present their Cal1 ID card to borrow.
- See the Pay fines page for replacement and overdue charges.
- 1 electronic device (with no peripherals) per person.
- Item may be borrowed for 4 hours, 1 day, or 14 days depending on location.
- Devices may not be reserved in advance.
- Devices are available on a first come first served basis.
- Upon check-out and check-in, the device will be examined with the patron to ensure all parts are operational.
- Device must be returned in person at due time, or at the latest, 1 hour before closing.
- Patrons must accept the Electronic Agreement Form prior to the first checkout of any device.
- Any stored data or information will be erased after the item is returned.
No login is required to access the computer. However, you will need a CalNet ID/passphrase to access the wireless internet connection (Airbears2).
You can print wirelessly using PrinterOn.
Fines and Charges
Borrowers are responsible for loss, damage, and theft of the laptop while in their possession. Borrower should verify the condition of the laptop at the time of check-out and upon check-in. See the Pay fines page for replacement and overdue charges.
Some laptops run only the Windows Operating System while other laptops run just OSX. All laptops will have the following installed software (Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Java, Flash, RealPlayer, Silverlight, etc.). iPads will have pre-installed apps including those that allow office editing and reading ebooks.
Apple MacBook Air 13"
Apple iPad Air
DVI to VGA adapters for presentation with a projector are available for check out at the Media Resources Center on the first floor of Moffitt Library.