Electronic Devices Lending Policy
- The library will be lending out 20 Apple MacBook Air laptops 13” (10 laptops will be running Windows and 10 laptops will be running OSX) and 10 Apple iPads Air for checkout.
- Presently laptops and tablets may be borrowed from Moffitt Library and the Social Research Library.
- UC Berkeley Students with a valid Cal ID or yellow library card may borrow a device for use anywhere.
- Eligible students must be in good standing (no fines, no overdue items, no recalls, and no blocks) with the library.
- Students have full administrative privileges restricted by Deep Freeze.
- 1 electronic device (with no peripherals) per person
- Item may be borrowed for 4 hours with 1 renewal
- No overnight
- May not be reserved in advance
- Devices are available on a first come first serve basis at Moffitt Circulation
- Upon check-out and check-in, the device will be examined with the patron to ensure all parts are operational
- Device must be returned in person at due time or latest 1 hour before closing
- Patrons must accept the Electronic Agreement Form prior to the first checkout of any device
- Any stored data or information will be erased after the item is returned
No login required to access the computer. However, you will need a Calnet ID/passphrase to access the wireless internet connection (Airbears).
No direct way to print from the devices. Please save the job to your email (or USB flash drive) and go to one of the campus computer facilities to print.
Fines and Charges
Borrowers are responsible for loss, damage, and theft of the laptop while in their possession. Borrower should verify the condition of the laptop at the time of check-out and upon check-in. Replacement charges are as followed:
- MacBook Air laptop = $2000
- iPad = $1200
- Overdue fines: $20 per hour with the maximum fine being the replacement cost
- We do not accept actual replacement
Ten (10) laptops will be running only the Windows Operating System while the other 10 laptops will be running just OSX. All laptops will have the following installed software (Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Java, Flash, RealPlayer, QuickTime, Silverlight, etcs). iPads will have pre-installed apps including those that allow office editing and reading ebooks.
Apple MacBook Air 13"
Apple iPad Air
DVI to VGA adapters for presentation with a projector are available for check out at the Media Resources Center on the first floor of Moffitt Library.
Please take our User Survey to tell us about your experience.