Special Library Access Service (SLA)
133 Doe Library
Fall and Spring Semester Hours:
The Special Library Access Service (SLA) provides fee-based access to the resources of the UC Berkeley Libraries to libraries, information centers, corporations, and other organizations on a subscriber basis.
What SLA Offers
- Access to 10,000,000+ volumes in more than 20 libraries on the Berkeley campus (except Boalt Law Library).
- Expedited loan and photoduplication service for UCB materials. Requests filled or reported on within 24-48 hours from time of receipt. Books sent via FedEx; copies via first class mail. Rush processing and rush delivery available: see SLA Costs, below.
- "Special Rush" service when you require particularly rapid turnaround.
- Ordering is fast and convenient via:
- Web form
- Fax (on your company's letterhead)
- Detailed monthly statement of charges and current account balance.
- Thorough and extensive bibliographic checking of requests. For volumes not owned by the UC Berkeley Libraries, we provide citation verification and location information whenever possible. We do not provide materials owned by other UC campuses. SLA is not a research service and only performs such research as is required to fill specific requests.
To Open an Account
- Print the SLA Enrollment Form.
- Complete and return the form to: SLA Service, 133 Doe Library, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-6000.
- Submit payment (minimum deposit of $250.00 which includes a $50.00 enrollment fee. See enrollment form). Checks should be made payable to the U.C. Regents.
- Upon receipt of your enrollment form and deposit, we will open an account and send you detailed instructions about how to submit requests, etc.
- Also use the enrollment form to notify us of changes of address, authorized users, etc.
- Enrollment (non-refundable): $50.00 is due at the time you open your account.
- Deposit Requirements: All subscribers are required to maintain a deposit account to cover transaction charges. A minimum deposit of $200.00 is required for new accounts. We ask that subscribers maintain an approximate balance of $100.00 at all times.
- Filled Loan Requests: $22.00 per filled request including shipment via UPS. $10.00 per renewal of borrowed items. Renewals may be requested by phone at the end of the initial loan period.
- Filled Photoduplication Requests: $22.00 per filled request for up to 50 scans sent via first class mail. $10.00 additional per each 1-100 prints over 50 pages.
- Unfilled Requests: $10.00 per unfilled request. Charge will be waived for items owned but not available (e.g. cancelled-after-paging request, inaccurate citation provided). For materials not owned, we provide citation verification and location information whenever possible.
- Rush Delivery Books: You may send a courier between 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday, to Interlibrary Services, 133 Doe Library. You may also supply your FedEx account number or make other arrangements as necessary.
- Rush Delivery Copies: $39.00 per filled request for up to 50 scans. Rush fee covers special processing (4 hour turn around.) Email delivery is available with no surcharge for the first 50 pages.
- Research Fee: $20.00 per hour, charged in 1/2 hour increments, for orders requiring unusual staff effort. In these cases, work will not proceed until requester has authorized charge.
- Service Charge: If a withdrawal of funds is requested, or your account is closed, a $25.00 processing fee will be charged.