Interlibrary Borrowing Service obtains items for members of the UC Berkeley community which are not available in our collections. Items considered not available: in process, at the bindery, on order, missing, not owned.
International Borrowing - We are active participants in the global sharing of library resources. By establishing relationships with peer institutions around the world, we are able to access otherwise-unavailable material for our patrons.
Eligible members of the UC Berkeley community are:
- currently enrolled students
- active and retired faculty and staff
- visiting scholars registered with the Visiting Scholars Program
- UC Office of the President
- Proxy Card holders
Proxy Card Privilege - Faculty may authorize a research assistant(s) as a proxy to check out library materials on their library account. Please see: Information for Faculty and Instructors
Proxy Card holders - Proxy borrowers must have their proxy borrower ID card and picture ID to fill out a request in person at our office. We strongly recommend against borrowing books in your name if you are getting them for a faculty member. Please see the Proxy Borrower Policy
Alumni Association members do not have Interlibrary Borrowing Privileges.
Patrons who are not eligible for IBS may make requests at their local public library. If you aren't sure you are eligible please contact the Privileges Desk.
BAKER Retrieval and Document Delivery Service is a fee-based Document Delivery Service available to:
- UCB faculty
- UCB staff
- UCB graduate students
- UC Office of the President staff with current UCB library cards
Request a loan or thesis from a non-UC Berkeley library
- Melvyl - When you locate the book you want use the "Request" or "UC E-LINKS" button to request it from other institutions. You may login by either your CalNet login or your Library/Cal 1 Card number, leave the PIN number blank. Note that currently E-books and Textbooks are not eligible for Interlibrary Loan.
- IBS Request Form - Use this form if you cannot locate the material you are looking for in Melvyl.
- Log in with your CalNet Login information or UC Berkeley Library card/Cal 1 Card number and OskiCat PIN.
- Select the loan or thesis form.
- Use the Notes field to provide any additional information (do not input personal information).
- In-person - You can visit Interlibrary Services at 133 Doe Library where the staff can assist you with your request.
- Pick-up and return - You can pick up and return all IBS material to our office location, above. When our office is closed please use the book drop in front of our door only.
Request an article or part of a book from a non-UC Berkeley library
- Melvyl - When you locate the publication (e.g. journal title, conference proceeding) use the "Request" or "UC E-LINKS" button to request it from other institutions. You may login by either your CalNet login or your Library/Cal 1 Card number, leave the PIN number blank.
- Supply as much information that you can, especially issn number, oclc/assession number, page numbers, proceedings title and year.
- Use the Notes field if you have any other information.
- IBS Request Form - Use this form if you cannot locate the material you need in Melvyl.
- You may login by either your CalNet login or your Library/Cal 1 Card number, leave the PIN number blank.
- Select the Periodical form to request an article or run of a newspaper.
- For a book chapter select a Book form and put that information in the Notes field.
- In-person - See book section above.
- Note that most articles/book chapters are filled digitally directly to your email on file.
More services for UC Berkeley patrons.