BAKER document retrieval and delivery
BAKER is a fee-based retrieval and document delivery service available to:
- UCB faculty
- UCB staff
- UCB graduate students
- UC Office of the President staff with current UCB library cards (scans only)
BAKER also serves the following groups by special agreement:
- BAKER will provide readable, electronic PDF and Word documents of articles or book chapters to eligible Disabled Students’ Program patrons, free-of-charge. See the BAKER for DSP Participants page for details.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory staff: see special instructions below
What is BAKER?
- BAKER allows you to request materials in the UC Berkeley library collection from your home or office using, OskiCat, Melvyl, email, or campus mail.
- Items will be checked out or scanned and delivered either to your department or by email.
- If necessary, BAKER will place hold, recall, search, and NRLF (storage) requests on your behalf.
- If the material is not in the UC Berkeley library collection (and if you have pre-authorized BAKER to do so), your request will be automatically referred to the Interlibrary Borrowing Services. Your book requests will be delivered to your office as usual.
Using BAKER - create an account
You may establish an account by depositing funds with BAKER against which library fee-based services can be charged. See BAKER Fees & Payment Information.
Submit requests online
- Login to My OskiCat (You will need your CalNet Login information or your Library card/Cal1Cal number and OskiCat PIN).
- Find the item you want and select the “BAKER” button (which will appear only if you are logged into OSKICAT).
- Provide as much information as you can using the fields available for the book or article you are requesting.
- Use the “Notes” field to provide any special or additional instructions
- Find the publication record (e.g. monographs, journals) for the title you would like to loan or would like a scan to be made from
- Select the “Request” Button and provide as much information as you can using the available fields.
- You will need your Library card/Cal1Cal number and OskiCat PIN
- Choose UCB BAKER Service on the pull-down menu corresponding to “Deliver My Request To” field
Submit requests via email and campus mail
Please include the following:
- Your name
- Your department
- Your phone number/email address
- Complete bibliographic information
- For books: author, title, publication date, edition.
- For journal articles: journal title, volume number, date, pages, author, and title of article.
- Email requests to email@example.com, including your name and department in the body of the message.
- Send requests via campus mail to:
BAKER, Interlibrary Borrowing Services
133 Doe Library
Campus Mail Code: 6000
- BAKER accepts requests from LBNL patrons in two ways: using the “BAKER” button in OskiCat and the “Request” button in Melvyl or WorldCat. See Submit requests online (above).
- BAKER will not accept LBNL requests made via email or campus mail.
Once material obtained via BAKER is checked out to you, it is your responsibility and the BAKER Service is no longer involved.
- Return books by the due date to the lending library.
- Overdue, recall and billing notices will be sent to you directly.
- In accordance with Library circulation policy, you are responsible for the safe handling and return of materials and for any fines or replacement bills.
- When your request is referred to Interlibrary Borrowing Service, please return those books to Interlibrary Services at 133 Doe Library.