Pay your fines
You can pay outstanding library fines, fees and charges:
- Online via My OskiCat by credit/debit card.
- In-person at the Privileges Desk (Doe Library, floor 1) during business hours by credit/debit card, check or money order. In order to process payment in-person, users must provide a valid Cal 1 Photo or driver's license.
- By sending a check or money order (payable to UC Regents) to:
- Privileges Desk
198 Gardner Stacks
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
- Privileges Desk
- Credit/debit cards accepted: Mastercard, Visa, Discover, American Express.
- Cash payments are not accepted.
Dispute a fine
If you have received an overdue notice in error, or for any other questions regarding fines, fees and charges, please contact the Circulation Manager at the owning library or the Privileges Desk for items in the Main (Gardner) Stacks.
Clear a library account block (fines over $50)
Any Library account with a bill $50 or greater will be blocked from access to all Library services, including the proxy server, until the debt is reduced below $50.
Clear a campus-wide block (fines over $200)
UC Berkeley students who have owed the Library $200 or more at any one time will also be blocked campus-wide with the Registrar's Office. Students blocked by the Registrar's Office will not be able to obtain transcripts or register for classes. Registration Blocks are removed after all outstanding bills and fines to the library have been paid.
Clear an email account block
You must have a valid email address on file with the Library.
- UCB faculty, staff and students: update your email address in the CalNet Directory. Changes made in OskiCat will be overwritten by CalNet updates.
- Non-UCB library cardholders (those without CalNet IDs): update your email address in My OskiCat.
Billed items (overdue items that have not been returned)
Library materials are subject to billing at any point after the due date. When an item is billed, the user will be charged a minimum Replacement Cost of $150 as well as an additional $10 processing charge per item billed. If you paid the replacement cost and subsequently return the item within 90 days of payment, you may apply for a refund. Original receipts are required. Refunds will not be granted for items returned 90 days after payment. You may be charged a non-refundable processing fee per billed item.
Damaged or lost items
If an item is damaged or lost, borrowers are liable for charges incurred to repair or replace the item.
- Payments for the Replacement Cost of an item(s) may only be refunded if the originally lost item is brought to the Privileges Desk (Doe Library, floor 1) or the owning library within 90 days of the payment for the item(s).
- Follow the directions under Pay your fines, above, to pay for lost or damaged items.
Replacing damaged or lost items
A borrower may replace lost or damaged materials with acceptable copies at the discretion of the lending library's Circulation Manager.
- You must get approval from the lending library before procuring a replacement.
- Refunds for the replacement cost of items will be paid via campus check and may take 4-6 weeks to process.
- Here is an in-depth guide for finding replacements for lost library books and serials.
Library fines vary by location and material type. The following charges and fines are standard across the libraries:
|Regular Billed items||$150+ (reversible) & $10 Processing Charge (non-reversible)|
|Short-term (2 hour) loans||$2.50/hr overdue, up to a maximum of $60 (non-reversible), and $150+(reversible)|
|Reserves (1 day, week, month) loans||$10/day overdue, up to a maximum of $60 (non-reversible), and $150+ (reversible)|
|Electronic Devices (Laptops and iPads)||Replacement charges
Laptops = $2000
iPads = $1200
Chargers = $95
Bags = $15
We do not accept actual replacement
4 hour laptop/iPad loan: $20/hour, with no maximum
1 day laptop/iPad loan: $60 processing fee
14 day laptop loan: $60 processing fee
Standard inspection/repair rate = $75/hour
Replacement costs, fines and fees are non-negotiable and will not be waived under any circumstance.
|Lost Card Replacement (non Cal 1 Photo ID cardholders)||$10|
|Bounced, Returned, Insufficiently Funded Checks||$25/first, $35/subsequent|
|Damage to materials (e.g. post-its, interior markings, stains, etc.)||varies|
|Lost room Keys, headphones, dry-erase materials, usb drives, etc.||varies|
- Library borrowers must return or renew items by their due date. When an item becomes overdue, borrowing privileges will be blocked until the item is returned. Some libraries charge a fine for overdue items.
- Due dates are subject to abbreviation based on recalls of an item for use by other users.
- Loan terms vary based on the type of user, the type of material and library; all items will block user accounts shortly after the due date, and become billed thereafter.
- Short-term items (2 hour, 1 day) and items on reserve may be subject to overdue fines once the item has exceeded its stated due date and time. Additionally, the item is subject to the standard, minimum Replacement Cost of $150 or more (reversible).
- Unpaid bills are forwarded to a collection agency.