Computers in the libraries
UCB students, faculty and staff:
- Computers with access to library resources and the Internet are available in all campus libraries.
- Word processing and other desktop applications may be found on public PCs in the libraries (requires CalNet ID), and in campus computer labs,
- Access to the UC Berkeley Virtual Lab with support for SPSS and Stata statistical analysis packages.
- If you use your CalNet ID to login to a public computer, you must log out when you are finished.
- The largest computer lab is the Moffitt Microcomputer Facility (printers, scanners, and various assistive technology are available).
- Pay for printing with your Cal 1 card.
- Scanning to a USB is free.
- For best results, use Firefox to open a PDF found in bCourses.
- Computers with access to library resources on the Internet are available in all campus libraries.
- You have research access to library catalogs, licensed databases, and websites in the .edu, .gov, and .org domains.
- You have access to email hosted on a .edu, .gov, or .org domain.
- Pay for printing with a Cal 1 Guest card. Request one from a public service desk, or the Copy Center in Moffitt Library. Add funds via the Guest Card site.
- Scanning to a USB is free.
Wi-Fi in the libraries
Wireless access to the Internet, and wireless printing are available in all campus libraries. For more information see:
Laptops in the libraries
- A universal charger that works with all current cell phone models and tablets is available in the Moffitt Library floor 3, where you'll find the public computers.
- There are 10 Android and 10 Apple Lightning USB wall chargers with cables available for check-out to UC Berkeley students at the Moffitt Circulation Desk and Engineering Library Circulation Desk.
- The loan period is two hours with no renewal or overnight.
- Students must present their Cal1 ID card to borrow.
- See the Pay fines page for replacement and overdue charges.
- UCB students use AirBears2 to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi.
- UCB students register and configure your laptop to use the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol service to connect to the Internet via a network jack.
- UCB students may borrow a laptop, iPad and other electronic devices from the Library. For more details, see the laptop lending FAQs, and the Electronic Devices Lending Policy.
- Visitors use CalVisitor to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi. CalVisitor allows visitors to access their email and the Internet but does not allow access to licensed library resources.
- UCB students and visitors may print from a laptop or portable device using PrinterOn. A Cal 1 card (students), or Cal 1 guest card (visitors), is needed to release print jobs.
Library Data Lab - 189 Doe Library Annex
- UCB students, faculty and staff use the Data Lab for numeric data research.
Technical assistance with Wi-Fi
- Student Computer Consulting Service (walk-in basis or by appointment).
- Faculty, staff and visitors can contact Campus Shared Services (phone: 510-664-9000 > select 1 for IT support > select 1 for telephone and network support > select 2 for data and network support).
- Campus posting of known network issues or outages.