San Diego: Graduate Division
The graduate program of
the San Diego campus had its beginnings in the 1920's when graduate
students from the Berkeley campus traveled to the Scripps Institution
of Oceanography to study under several of the prominent oceanographers
on the staff.
Several graduate oceanography courses
were listed in the 1920's but it was not until the 1930's that
the first degrees in oceanography were offered by the University.
At that time the students spent most of the time on the Scripps
campus but the degrees were awarded by the Los Angeles or Berkeley
In the mid-1960's, as in the early
years, Scripps offered only a graduate curriculum. Some 30 years
after the first graduate students began work at Scripps, the Regents,
in 1958, authorized the establishment at La Jolla of an Institute
of Technology and Engineering. Emphasis was placed on graduate
work in science, technology, and engineering due to the special
needs expressed by San Diego civic, industry, and service groups
and the greatly increased demands for scientific education and
research because of their importance to national security.
In 1959, the Regents changed the
name of the institute to the School of Science and Engineering.
The new school was to provide graduate instruction and research
in mathematics, physics, chemistry, the earth and biological sciences,
and engineering. By June 30, 1959, seven faculty appointments
had been made and a total of 36 appointments had been approved
for the next fiscal year. The school enrolled its first graduate
students in 1960 in the physical sciences.
Roger Revelle, director of the
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, was selected by the Regents
in 1958 to head the new school. Two years later, Norris W. Rakestraw,
professor of chemistry at Scripps, was named associate dean of
the Graduate Division and a year later, dean of the Graduate Division
at San Diego. He held the post for four years, giving it up to
travel and study in Europe.
Keith A. Brueckner, professor of
physics and director of the Institute for Radiation Physics and
Aerodynamics, served for two years as dean of Letters and Science
before serving for six months (from February to June, 1965) as
dean of Graduate Studies at San Diego. Since Brueckner's appointment
as director of the institute, two professors served as acting
dean of the Graduate Studies. They are James Arnold, professor
of chemistry, who served as acting dean until September, 1965,
and Martin Kamen, professor of chemistry, who later served as