Santa Barbara: Student Government
The student body was first organized in 1913 in
the Santa Barbara State Normal School of Manual Arts and Home Economics.
Enlarged enrollment and expansion to the Mesa campus led to revisions
and modifications in the early form of student government. A new
constitution was adopted in 1945 for integration with the University
The constitution in the mid-1960's, drafted in
1962, provided for a Legislative Council composed of a president,
vice-president, secretary (non-voting) and women's and men's representatives-at-large,
all of whom were elected by the entire student body. Others on the
Legislative Council were a fraternity representative, a sorority
representative, men's and women's residence hall representatives,
and men's and women's nonaffiliated representatives. The number
of representatives was determined by the number of students in each
classification, with a minimum of at least one representative for
each. The Legislative Council supervised Associated Students policies
and activities and administered the student government budget. An
Executive Council assisted the president.
The judicial authority of the Associated Students
was vested in the six-member judicial Committee which reviewed charges
of misconduct, made recommendations to the Faculty-Administration
Committee on Student Discipline, and advised the administration
on student views regarding conduct.
To meet the needs of residents in on-campus dormitories,
a Residence Halls Association was formed in 1955. Growing from a
membership of 500, the association had a total membership of 2,062
in the fall of 1965. The Isla Vista League, formed in 1964-65, was
an organization to make the Isla Vista residents a more integral
part of the student community.
Student Body Presidents