Santa Barbara: Historical Overview
The Santa Barbara College of the University
of California was established at Santa Barbara on July 1, 1944,
as a result of a decision of the Board of Regents to take over the
facilities of Santa Barbara State College. This action had been
authorized in a bill signed by Governor Earl Warren on June 8, 1943.
Prominent among those who introduced and worked for passage of the
enabling law were state Senator Clarence C. Ward, Assemblyman Alfred
W. Robertson, and Thomas M. Storke, later Regent Storke. Appreciation
for their services has been expressed in the naming of Ward Memorial
Boulevard, main access freeway to the campus, Robertson Gymnasium,
and Storke Plaza.
Fall semester enrollment during the first year
of University operation was 1,464. This figure rose to a post-war
peak of 2,683 in 1947, declined in 1952 to a low of 1,547, and then
commenced its increasingly rapid upward trend to the 1965 total
of 9,569, of whom 930 were enrolled for graduate studies.
In 1944-45, the faculty numbered 95, in 1965-66,
the equivalent of 705 full-time faculty members were engaged in
teaching and research.
The Campus Develops
During its first decade, the college was
housed in the city of Santa Barbara on two campuses taken over from
its predecessor. In 1954, it moved to a 408-acre tract of land about
nine miles west of the city. The site, a portion of a World War
II Marine air base, is located on a seacoast mesa with approximately
a mile of shoreline. The barracks and other structures and facilities
had been renovated and adapted for instructional and dormitory uses.
Two new permanent buildings had been completed--the library and
a science building. Of the 99 Marine base buildings originally on
the site, the University still used 42 in the mid-1960's. The others
were razed to make room for new roads and structures. Twenty-five
permanent buildings were occupied, and five more were planned to
be ready by spring or fall, 1966. Two hundred additional acres were
subsequently purchased. Dormitory accommodations on campus were
available for 2,062 students; 250 University-owned apartments for
married students were available off-campus.
The initial Regental plan for Santa Barbara was
to develop it as a liberal arts college of the highest quality,
with an enrollment maximum of 2,500 and retention of the teacher
training function. In 1953, the planned capacity was increased to
3,500. A revision of Regental policy in 1958 again increased the
planned capacity, this time to 10,000; renamed the institution The
University of California, Santa Barbara; and directed that a general
University campus be developed. In 1960, the planned maximum enrollment
was increased once more, this time to 15,000.
UC Santa Barbara in the 1960's
The College of Letters and Science administered
the general and most of the specialized or professional undergraduate
education. Courses designed to acquaint all students with their
cultural heritage in the humanities, the arts, the social sciences,
and the sciences were emphasized in all bachelor's degree programs.
A School of Education and a School of Engineering,
both established in 1962, administered the specialized and professional
curricula in their respective disciplines.
At the end of its first year as a campus of the
University, the institution awarded 133 bachelor's degrees; in 1965,
it awarded 952.
Graduate study leading to the master of arts degree
was authorized in 1953, and departments were called upon to develop
as rapidly as possible curricula and resources that would enable
them to qualify candidates for that degree. In 1958, the Regents
directed that the Santa Barbara campus proceed with the development
of programs leading to the Ph.D. degree and in 1961, they established
a Graduate Division to take over the responsibility of administering
graduate studies. The master of arts, master of science, master
of fine arts, and doctor of philosophy degrees were later offered.
One master of arts degree was awarded in 1955; in 1965, 90 M.A.
and six Ph.D. degrees were conferred. Twenty-two departments had
courses of study leading to the master's degree and 14 offered the
Organized research was at present being conducted
on campus by an Institute of Environmental Stress and a Computer
Center. The administrative headquarters for the Education Abroad
Program of the entire University were located at Santa Barbara.
The Associated Students at Santa Barbara worked
with the administration and the faculty in the development of valuable
activities and facilities for the enrichment of the student's experience.
Especially noteworthy was the Residence Halls Association Faculty
Associates Program, which provided for meetings in the residence
hall lounges between faculty members and groups of students for
discussion and interchange of ideas in an informal social situation.
As a means of expediting the construction of a Student Center, the
students voted to levy upon themselves a special annual fee. The
center was ready for occupancy early in 1966.
Bequests and gifts provided substantial contributions
to scholarships and building funds. The John and Ina Therese Campbell
scholarship bequest yielded about $40,000 annually. Former Regent
Storke provided $20,000 for scholarships and gave $100,000 to be
used in the construction of the Student Center. Regent Samuel B.
Mosher also contributed $100,000 for the center.
By the mid-1960's, the establishment of a School
of Fine Arts and a School of Business Administration was specifically
proposed for the future. The possibility of developing a School
of Law and other professional schools was being considered. Rapid
augmentations of library holdings and of space and facilities for
research were definitely scheduled. And Santa Barbara planned to
continue its particular orientation towards the liberal arts.