Santa Barbara: Departments
Norman Gabel initiated the first courses
in anthropology at Santa Barbara in the fall of 1947. His interests
were primarily in physical anthropology and archaeology, and before
his death in 1961 he was responsible for obtaining the excellent
laboratory and storage facilities for physical anthropology and
archaeology which the department later occupied in North Hall.
Between 1947 and 1965, course offerings increased
from the five with which Gabel began to the 32 undergraduate and
nine graduate courses that were offered in the mid-1960's. Anthropology
was separated from sociology and established as an independent department
in February, 1964, with Charles Erasmus as chairman.
In 1959 and 1960, Roger Owen and James Deetz joined
the staff, and in 1961, Loring Brace filled the position left vacant
by the death of Gabel. Erasmus joined the staff in 1962. For the
fall of 1965, anthropology had a full-time faculty of ten members
plus ten graduate teaching assistants.
A master's program was initiated in September,
1964, and the Ph.D. program began in September, 1965.
By the mid-1960's, over 1,500 undergraduates
enrolled in anthropology courses each semester and approximately
100 of these students were majors. About 20 graduate students were
working toward the Ph.D. degree by September, 1965. source
By 1916, a fine arts education department
already existed in the Santa Barbara State Normal School, staffed
by four women teaching courses in drawing, design, crafts, and pottery.
The primary objective of training teachers continued during the
next quarter century, principally under the chairmanship of Mrs.
Mary Croswell. The faculty increased to seven instructors teaching
most 50 courses, most of them education-oriented.
When Santa Barbara State College became a campus
of the University in 1944, the department began to undergo transformation.
Sculpture, art appreciation, and elementary art history were introduced
(1945) and such courses as Costume Design, Fashion Illustration,
and Modern Toys were eliminated (1946-47). Under the successive
chairmanships of Elliott Evans and Howard Fenton (1948-58), printmaking,
photography, and art history were added and facilities were planned,
By 1959, crafts had disappeared entirely and a
program of majors in painting, sculpture, printmaking and art history
superseded the emphasis on teacher training. During William Dole's
chairmanship (1958-63), the faculty increased to 18, all but one
a professional artist or historian. In spring, 1965 (Alfred Moir,
chairman) 1,955 students were taking 49 courses from 22 instructors
and the Regents approved an M.F.A. program in studio subjects.
In the new building, facilities were provided
for a gallery, which became a presentation of the Sedgwick Collection
and the appointment of David Gebhard as the first professional director
(1960). Gallery collections were increased by the Regents' acquisition
of the Morgenroth Collection (1963) and by gifts, notably the memorial
to MacKinley Helm (1964). A regular exhibition and publication program
was established, including the gallery's first nationally circulated
Art department activities were generously supported
by a committee of local art affiliates (founded in 1960), under
the chairmanship of Mr. Standish Backus. source
Asian Studies at Santa Barbara was not a
department in the usual sense, but rather an area program enabling
undergraduates to pursue studies concerned with Asia in various
departments. It was directed by a faculty committee representing
Courses on Asia and the Pacific were offerred
by Santa Barbara State College as early as 1943. Following the incorporation
of the college into the University in 1944, additional courses were
introduced. In 1955-56, the interdisciplinary major in East Asian
studies was first organized by D. Mackenzie Brown. Students were
thus enabled to do work in anthropology, art history, and political
science relating to either East Asia or South Asia. In 1958-59,
a minor was also established as the foundation of the major, three
semesters (12 units) being required of all students. Classical Chinese
was added to the curriculum in 1964-65. With the establishment of
the Tokyo-Mitaka Center this same year, students were able to study
Japanese firsthand. A Japan specialist joined the history department
in 1964-65. Other additions in Asian geography, philosophy, and
religious studies enriched the program, as did courses in Chinese
literature in translation.
The title of the program was broadened to Asian
Studies in 1963-64. In 1964-65, 19 students majored in Asian studies,
four receiving the A.B. degree. source