Santa Barbara: Colleges and Schools
School of Education
School of Education was the descendant of
a series of teacher education institutions dating back to 1891 and
culminating in the Santa Barbara State College (1935), which became
an integral part of the University in 1944 in accordance with legislation
signed by Governor Earl Warren on June 8, 1943.
On November 3, 1960, Chancellor Samuel B. Gould
of the Santa Barbara campus recommended to President Clark Kerr
that there be an amendment to the By-Laws and Standing Orders of
the Regents, Chapter XI, Section 9, Professional Schools, to include:
"School of Education, at Santa Barbara, with a curriculum leading
to the degree of Master of Education, and a curriculum leading to
the degree of Doctor of Education." This proposal was approved by
the Academic Senate on June 2, 1960. The Regents unanimously approved
the amendment on May 9, 1961.
The search for a dean was immediately commenced.
Their duties were envisioned as the recruitment of a scholarly faculty,
formulation of a graduate program, construction of appropriate curricula,
and planning a new building.
On March 14, 1963, the graduate council decided
to recommend to the Academic Senate that the School of Education
be authorized to grant the M.A. degree. The recommendation was unanimously
approved by the Senate on March 28, 1963. In addition to advanced
degree programs in curriculum research and counseling, the school
provided curricula for various state credentials, including elementary
teaching, secondary teaching, junior college teaching and pupil
personnel services. A baccalaureate degree was required for admission
to the school. source
School of Engineering
In January, 1961, the Regents of the University
established a School of Engineering at Santa Barbara. The first
students entered the school in September, 1961 and during the same
month, Albert G. Conrad, chairman of the Department of Electrical
Engineering at Yale University, was appointed dean of the school
and professor of electrical engineering at Santa Barbara, effective
July 1, 1962.
Early recruitments to the faculty of the school
included Philip F. Ordung of Yale University as chairman of the
Department of Engineering; Assistant Professors Clive D. Leedham
and Lawrence A. Wan in electrical engineering; and Assistant Professor
Kenneth R. Bockman in engineering mechanics.
In 1964, the engineering program was reorganized
and the Departments of Electrical, Mechanical, and Chemical-Nuclear
Engineering were established. Otto W. Witzell of Purdue University
was appointed chairman of the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
A graduate program in electrical engineering was
established in 1964. The bachelor of science degree was established
for the undergraduates; the first recipients of this degree graduated
in June of 1965.
During its early years, the School of Engineering
operations were conducted in the building formerly occupied by the
Department of Industrial Arts. In March of 1965, construction of
the first building of an engineering complex was started. This building
was designed for undergraduate instruction, graduate instruction,
and research in electrical engineering. source
College of Letters and Science
The College of Letters and Science at Santa
Barbara was established in July of 1961, and was the only college
on the campus by the mid-1960's. For the first year of operation,
Vice-Chancellor A. Russell Buchanan was appointed acting dean. He
was assisted by two associate deans, Professor Barbara B. DeWolfe
and Associate Professor John M. Groebli. Dean Donald R. Cressey,
appointed in 1962, was assisted by Associate Dean Upton Palmer and
by Associate Dean Keith Aldrich, who administered the program for
gifted students and honors.
From 1947 until 1958, when Santa Barbara assumed
its mission as a general campus of the University, a divisional
structure was administered by divisional deans. The Division of
Liberal Arts, later named Division of Letters and Science, included
the humanities, physical and life sciences, social sciences, and
theoretical fine arts. The Division of Applied Arts included the
performing arts, education, home economics, industrial arts, and
By the mid-1960's, the college comprised
all departments of instruction and research except education and
engineering. All freshmen enrolled in the college, and all undergraduate
students were subject to the breadth requirements established by
the faculty of the college. The curricula provided students with
a broad understanding of our heritage in the humanities, the sciences,
and the fine arts, and offered the experience of studying deeply
at least one of the disciplines in these areas. Completion of the
College of Letters and Science breadth requirements and the major
lead to the bachelor of arts degree in a specified field.