Riverside: Student Services
The dean of students office in Riverside offered
certain personnel services to assist students in the solution of
scholastic, financial, or personal problems, seeking to help all
students the best possible adjustment to University life.
Financial Aids, Scholarships,
Student Counseling Center
Student Health Service
Financial Aids, Scholarships, Loans
During the first years of the College of
Letters and Science, the various scholarship and loan services were
administered by several offices as extra assignments. In 1962 scholarship
services were combined in a newly established Scholarship Office
which was redesignated the Financial Aids Office the following year.
Student loans were then transferred to financial aids from the dean
of students, and a coordinated program of scholarships and loans
The scholarship program began with a total of
$950 awarded to 12 students during the first semester of instruction.
In 1964-65 awards totalling $77,600 were granted to 149 students.
Through the efforts of the chief campus officers, scholarships were
established by several local groups and individuals, and funds were
increased by new programs instituted by the Regents and through
distribution to Riverside of University-wide endowment funds.
Friends of the University also contributed funds
for student loans, permitting students both long-term and short-term
emergency loans. In 1958 the campus applied for participation in
the National Defense Student Loan Program, thereby increasing available
loan funds and enabling many students to continue their education
who would otherwise have been forced to withdraw.
The first food facility on the Riverside
campus was opened in February, 1954, in the basement of the Physical
Education Building. This facility was moved to the "Barn" in September,
1955, and this structure later became a campus tradition. The Barn
was enlarged in November, 1957, by the addition of a faculty room
donated by Town & Gown, a social-education organization, and the
kitchen was added in the summer of 1958.
The Aberdeen-Inverness Halls with attendant cafeteria
were opened in September, 1959, followed by Lothian Hall in the
fall of 1963. The kitchen in Aberdeen-Inverness Halls provided the
bulk of the prepared food for Lothian Hall (which did not have a
kitchen) and did practically all of the catered food service on
the campus. The Faculty Club served a limited luncheon menu and
is served from the Barn.
The original food facility operated with one full-time
employee and three part-time employees. By the mid-1960's, the staff
numbered 46 full-time employees and approximately 150 part-time
students and was assigned the function of providing all of the residence
hall food service and such other snack-type operations as may be
required in the Barn, Faculty Club and at all catered functions.
Approximately 2,200 meals per day were served and 1,800-2,000 people
were provided with snack-type items.
Housing Office was opened in the summer of
1959 to handle application contracts, and assignments for on-campus
housing and to maintain a listing service for off-campus housing
for students, staff and faculty. In February of 1964 the responsibility
for residence hall student government, head residents and resident
assistants was transferred from the Housing Office to the deans
of students office. On July 1, 1964, the Housing Office was integrated
with the residence hall central administration under the supervision
of the residence hall administrator.
Placement Service in February, 1954, consisted
of one part-time clerk in a cubicle of the Personnel Office. By
1968, there was a staff of six made up of the director, two assistant
directors and three secretaries.
Three separate programs currently operated in
the Placement Office: part-time and summer job placement; full-time
placement in business, industry, and government; and teacher placement.
Part-time and summer employment opportunities
provided the student with an income which allowed him to continue
his education by supplementing family assistance. On- and off-campus
jobs offered a variety of part-time employment possibilities.
A full-time placement program benefited undergraduate
and graduate students who were within a year of receiving their
baccalaureate or advanced degree, and who sought careers in business,
industry or government. This service was also available to alumni
of the University who want assistance in seeking new positions.
Employers visited the campus from October to May to interview students
Educational placement assisted prospective teachers
who sought positions in public or private schools, colleges or universities.
School district representatives made regular visits to Riverside
to interview applicants and liaison was maintained with educational
employers throughout the nation. Teaching alumni who were interested
in professional advancement or geographical relocation could also
utilize the job placement service.
Student Counseling Center
Student Counseling Center was established
at Riverside in 1963 to assist students in becoming maximally effective
as students and as persons.
Specifically, students were offered confidential
psychological counseling to clarify problems and make decisions
pertaining to vocational, educational and personal goals. Interviews,
group experiences and psychological testing were used to help students
increase their self-understanding in order to make better and more
satisfying use of their intellectual and personal resources.
Student Health Service
In February, 1954 when the College of Letters
and Science opened its doors, a new concept in student health medicine
was born with the adoption of a California Physicians' Service insurance
plan for all students who paid the full incidental fee. The contract
provided fall medical, surgical, and 50-day hospitalization care
at a minimum cost; the student was covered whether he was on-campus
or at home during a holiday period.
The first campus dispensary occupied the east
wing of the Physical Education Building and provided only day care.
In September, 1961, the new Student Health Service Building opened
just in time for the fall registration week. This new building was
built to accommodate an enrollment of 5,000 students, and provided
ten infirmary beds in addition to a large outpatient department
complete with laboratory and x-ray units. The program expanded to
include round-the-clock infirmary and emergency outpatient care.
Specialty clinics were added in the dispensary.
In February, 1963, the dental clinic program began
operation one day a week with care limited to emergency services.
This service was very much in demand and a year later expanded to
two days a week. The students paid for their dental care at reduced
fees. In addition to the dental charges, the students paid for medications
for chronic medical conditions. As the function of the health service
was to keep the student in school, treatment and medications for
acute illnesses and injuries were provided free of charge.
The new building proved to be very efficient in
saving the time of both the student and the staff member. This building
plan was used as a model for several health services throughout