By the late 1960s, Student Services on the Davis campus were the responsibility of the Office of the Dean of Students. The deans and their staff assisted students with problems of a financial, vocational, emotional or scholastic nature, handling most of these problems through the service units mentioned below.
A fund for small emergency loans was established in 1932 by the activities council and a women's emergency fund was established in honor of the late Dean Susan F. Regan. These, along with grants-in-aid--loans with only a moral commitment to repay when able--were later administered through the Office of the Dean of Students in a manner to provide for students who encountered unexpected financial difficulty.
The first Committee on Scholarships and Prizes was appointed in 1947, with the chairman serving on the Undergraduate Scholarship Committee at Berkeley. With the further development and expansion at Davis it was felt that a separate committee was needed to handle increasing amounts of scholarship funds assigned to the campus. In 1958, the Davis Division of the Academic Senate established the Committee on Undergraduate Scholarships and Honors. The committee awarded $24,000 in scholarships in 1959 and approximately $223,000 in 1965. All of the scholarship funds were allocated to the chancellor who then awarded them upon the recommendation of the undergraduate scholarship committee.
In addition to the endowed scholarships, many donation scholarships were received from friends of the University and commercial organizations. In addition, the Regents used non-tax funds to establish both the Regents' scholarship program and the President's scholarship program that provided generous scholarships for outstanding students entering the University. The California Alumni Association and the Cal Aggie Alumni Association generously provided scholarships to a large number of entering freshmen.
In 1963 the separate scholarship and loan operations were brought together under the Office of Financial Aid for the purpose of eliminating duplication and improving assistance to students with financial difficulties.
In 1952 Primero Halls food service was opened to the students residing in Becket and Hughes Halls. Beginning in 1955, the Memorial Union handled the food service contracts for all students living in residence halls outside the Primero Halls area.
The Primero Halls food service facilities were enlarged when it became necessary to provide meals for students in newly built Struve and Titus Halls, and in 1961, Segundo Halls food service was completed in order to feed students housed in Bixby, Gilmore and Malcolm Halls. Residents of Ryerson Hall, completed in 1963, also used this facility. Regan Halls had no food service, therefore half of the residents used the Primero Halls food service, half used the dining facilities at Segundo Halls.
In 1957, Sidney S. Sutherland of the Department of Education developed a plan for establishing a teacher placement office on the campus. This office opened in February of 1958 as a part of the Bureau of Occupations. The name was changed on University-wide and local levels to School and College Placement Service in 1959. The following year the name was again changed when the position of University-wide Director of Educational Placement was established. Called the Educational Placement Office, it was still responsible to the chief campus officer, but now had a policy relationship with the University-wide director.
At that same time, the name of the entire Bureau of Occupations was changed to Student and Alumni Placement Center, and in December of 1960, Chancellor Mrak placed the center under the jurisdiction of the dean of students' office.
The center handled all part-time and career placement of students on the Davis campus. Specific services included placement of students in part-time summer jobs while they were attending school, placement of teachers, and placement of graduates and alumni in career positions. Services were available to any student or alumnus of the University.
The formal Office of Special Services was dissolved July 1, 1965, and the duties were assumed by the Office of the Dean of Students.
In 1912 a three-bed ward was set up in South Hall, and in 1922, space for an 18-bed infirmary was partitioned off in a building shared with the student dining hall. That arrangement served the campus for 30 years, until the fall of 1952, when a new building was completed and put into use.
From 1925 to 1947, Dr. Thomas E. Cooper served as visiting physician. In 1934 Dr. John Homer Woolsey was appointed to the staff and was the first physician to hold the title of director of the Student Health Service of the Davis campus. He served in this capacity until 1956 when he retired.
Under the directorship of Dr. Woolsey, a small staff of three visiting physicians, five staff nurses and a receptionist opened the doors of a new Student Health Center building in the fall of 1952 to provide dispensary and inpatient care to a student body of some 1,300. The building, designed to serve a student body of 3,000, was providing medical care to a student body of 6,300 in the spring of 1965. In that year construction began on a new south wing on the hospital and a new two-story outpatient addition on the north end of the structure.
As enrollment increased, the need for medical services and staff gradually multiplied. Dr. Thomas Y. Cooper, director of the Student Health Service, was appointed to this position in 1956.
Medical care was provided to the student to enable him physically and mentally to derive all that was possible from his college years. With this purpose in mind, Dr. Cooper arranged for specialty clinics to be held in the campus facility for the convenience of the students, instituted a surgical program, developed laboratory, x-ray and physical therapy services, and maintained a staff of 24 clinicians and consultants, 20 full-time nurses and some 20 full-time auxiliary personnel. The dispensary was staffed from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for outpatient service and emergency care was provided at any time. The inpatient area was fully staffed on a 24-hour basis with a physician on call at all times.
Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.