Davis: Student Services
By the late 1960s, Student Services on the Davis
campus were the responsibility of the Office of the Dean of Students.
The deans and their staff assisted students with problems of a financial,
vocational, emotional or scholastic nature, handling most of these
problems through the service units mentioned below.
Financial Aids, Scholarships, Loans
Special Services Office
Student Health Service
In the early 1950s, the Department of Agricultural
Education initiated a limited, part-time program involving freshman
testing and counseling. From this beginning developed a counseling
service with the responsibility to assist students with questions
pertaining to vocational and educational planning, and problems
of a personal-social nature related to University life. In order
to meet increasing student need for individual counseling and to
broaden its services in many areas, the staff was repeatedly enlarged.
The first full-time counseling psychologist was appointed in 1958.
Financial Aids, Scholarships,
The Farm Circle Loan Fund of approximately
$3,000 was established in 1935 and was followed by other contributions
for loans by interested friends and alumni so that the University
loans were composed of 27 different funds totaling some $79,000
by 1968. With the passage of the National Defense Education Act
in 1958, the Davis campus was able to loan approximately $51,000
to students in 1959-60. A total of $720,000 was loaned to 1,000
Davis students by the late 1960s. To further insure that adequate
financial assistance would be available to students, the Regents
provided $150,000 in Regents' loan funds in 1963, particularly to
assist those students who needed funds in addition to their part-time
earnings, scholarships and fellowships.
A fund for small emergency loans was established
in 1932 by the activities council and a women's emergency fund was
established in honor of the late Dean Susan F. Regan. These, along
with grants-in-aid--loans with only a moral commitment to repay
when able--were later administered through the Office of the Dean
of Students in a manner to provide for students who encountered
unexpected financial difficulty.
The first Committee on Scholarships and Prizes
was appointed in 1947, with the chairman serving on the Undergraduate
Scholarship Committee at Berkeley. With the further development
and expansion at Davis it was felt that a separate committee was
needed to handle increasing amounts of scholarship funds assigned
to the campus. In 1958, the Davis Division of the Academic Senate
established the Committee on Undergraduate Scholarships and Honors.
The committee awarded $24,000 in scholarships in 1959 and approximately
$223,000 in 1965. All of the scholarship funds were allocated to
the chancellor who then awarded them upon the recommendation of
the undergraduate scholarship committee.
In addition to the endowed scholarships, many
donation scholarships were received from friends of the University
and commercial organizations. In addition, the Regents used non-tax
funds to establish both the Regents' scholarship program and the
President's scholarship program that provided generous scholarships
for outstanding students entering the University. The California
Alumni Association and the Cal Aggie Alumni Association generously
provided scholarships to a large number of entering freshmen.
In 1963 the separate scholarship and loan operations
were brought together under the Office of Financial Aid for the
purpose of eliminating duplication and improving assistance to students
with financial difficulties.
Prior to the opening of the first dining
hall in 1910, the new dairy barn in the Davis campus was used as
a dining room. Tables were built the full length of both wings of
the barn for this purpose. When completed, the dining hall served
the students residing in North Dormitory. Later it was moved, together
with the infirmary, to the present site of East Hall where it continued
to be used as a dining facility until the Memorial Student Union
was completed in 1955. The original building, with a post-World
War II addition, was later occupied by the drama department and
housed the East Hall Studio Theatre.
In 1952 Primero Halls food service was opened
to the students residing in Becket and Hughes Halls. Beginning in
1955, the Memorial Union handled the food service contracts for
all students living in residence halls outside the Primero Halls
The Primero Halls food service facilities were
enlarged when it became necessary to provide meals for students
in newly built Struve and Titus Halls, and in 1961, Segundo Halls
food service was completed in order to feed students housed in Bixby,
Gilmore and Malcolm Halls. Residents of Ryerson Hall, completed
in 1963, also used this facility. Regan Halls had no food service,
therefore half of the residents used the Primero Halls food service,
half used the dining facilities at Segundo Halls.
The Placement Center on the Davis campus
was established in December, 1951. Before that time placement in
all career jobs was handled by the various campus departments. The
new office, called Bureau of Occupations, was under the jurisdiction
of the provost until 1955, then was placed under the special services
In 1957, Sidney S. Sutherland of the Department
of Education developed a plan for establishing a teacher placement
office on the campus. This office opened in February of 1958 as
a part of the Bureau of Occupations. The name was changed on University-wide
and local levels to School and College Placement Service in 1959.
The following year the name was again changed when the position
of University-wide Director of Educational Placement was established.
Called the Educational Placement Office, it was still responsible
to the chief campus officer, but now had a policy relationship with
the University-wide director.
At that same time, the name of the entire Bureau
of Occupations was changed to Student and Alumni Placement Center,
and in December of 1960, Chancellor Mrak placed the center under
the jurisdiction of the dean of students' office.
The center handled all part-time and career placement
of students on the Davis campus. Specific services included placement
of students in part-time summer jobs while they were attending school,
placement of teachers, and placement of graduates and alumni in
career positions. Services were available to any student or alumnus
of the University.
Special Services Office
Special Services Office, with its subdivision
Office of Veterans Affairs, originated immediately following World
War II to help the returning G.I.'s obtain benefits entitled under
the "G.I. Bill of Rights" and to service the relationship between
University students and the Selective Service System. At its inception,
it encompassed other activities such as the operation of a Bureau
of Occupations and Teacher Placement as well as University Extension
courses for returning veterans. With the Korean War and the Korean
G.I. Bill, another large group of veterans was processed in this
era. The number of men dealing with their draft boards under the
Selective Service Act increased with the growing student body. As
those eligible for veterans' benefits finished school, the Special
Services Office accepted responsibility for benefits due the dependents
The formal Office of Special Services was dissolved
July 1, 1965, and the duties were assumed by the Office of the Dean
Student Health Service
Student Health Service for the Davis campus
was established in 1909 with the opening of the first classes, three
years after the campus came into being. Dr. Walter E. Bates, Davis
physician, was the first school physician.
In 1912 a three-bed ward was set up in South Hall,
and in 1922, space for an 18-bed infirmary was partitioned off in
a building shared with the student dining hall. That arrangement
served the campus for 30 years, until the fall of 1952, when a new
building was completed and put into use.
From 1925 to 1947, Dr. Thomas E. Cooper served
as visiting physician. In 1934 Dr. John Homer Woolsey was appointed
to the staff and was the first physician to hold the title of director
of the Student Health Service of the Davis campus. He served in
this capacity until 1956 when he retired.
Under the directorship of Dr. Woolsey, a small
staff of three visiting physicians, five staff nurses and a receptionist
opened the doors of a new Student Health Center building in the
fall of 1952 to provide dispensary and inpatient care to a student
body of some 1,300. The building, designed to serve a student body
of 3,000, was providing medical care to a student body of 6,300
in the spring of 1965. In that year construction began on a new
south wing on the hospital and a new two-story outpatient addition
on the north end of the structure.
As enrollment increased, the need for medical
services and staff gradually multiplied. Dr. Thomas Y. Cooper, director
of the Student Health Service, was appointed to this position in
Medical care was provided to the student to enable
him physically and mentally to derive all that was possible from
his college years. With this purpose in mind, Dr. Cooper arranged
for specialty clinics to be held in the campus facility for the
convenience of the students, instituted a surgical program, developed
laboratory, x-ray and physical therapy services, and maintained
a staff of 24 clinicians and consultants, 20 full-time nurses and
some 20 full-time auxiliary personnel. The dispensary was staffed
from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for outpatient service and emergency
care was provided at any time. The inpatient area was fully staffed
on a 24-hour basis with a physician on call at all times.