Davis: Graduate Division
Graduate Instruction Begins
Graduate instruction on the Davis campus began about
1925 with 12 students enrolled in various departments of the College of Agriculture
in cooperation with corresponding departments or group majors on the Berkeley
campus. The Davis Graduate Division was part of the Graduate Division of the
Northern Section of the Academic Senate, composed of faculty members of the
three northern campuses, Berkeley, Davis, and San Francisco. The general policies
relative to graduate curricula and degree requirements were under the guidance
of the northern section Graduate Council, members of which were appointed from
each of the three campuses.
Graduate Instruction Becomes Autonomous
The administration of the graduate programs at Davis
from 1925-52 was under the direction of the graduate dean of the northern section.
In 1952, an associate dean was appointed and stationed on the campus and in
1953, the first graduate degrees were awarded at the Davis Commencement. When
the Graduate Division at Davis became autonomous in 1961, a dean was appointed
and a local graduate council was established by the Academic Senate.
Graduate Instruction Expands
In 1946, a School of Veterinary Medicine was established
and by 1950, there were about 150 graduate students enrolled, with 120 of them
in the new school. A College of Letters and Science was approved for the campus
in 1951, followed by a College of Engineering in 1961. In 1959, the campus was
designated as a general campus with authority to add major fields, schools,
colleges, and to the graduate programs. A graduate School of Law enrolled the
first class in fall, 1966.
In 1963, a portion of the Lawrence Radiation Laboratory at
Livermore was designated as a part of the Davis campus and the Department of
Applied Science was added to the College of Engineering. Graduate study leading
to the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in engineering-applied science was approved with
instruction at both Davis and Livermore.
Under the joint program of the northern section of the Graduate
Division, Davis was authorized to offer work leading to the higher academic
degrees. Between 1953 and 1968, the approved degrees and number awarded were
approximately as follows: master of science--744; master of arts--173; doctor
of philosophy--479; master of education--160; master of engineering--14; doctor
of engineering--4; doctor of veterinary medicine--581. In the 1950s and 1960s,
many new areas of study were approved in the humanities, arts, and social sciences
following the rapid increase in faculty in the College of Letters and Science.
World War II
The graduate student enrollment between 1925-45 remained
at a rather static level, because of the slow development of additional areas
of study and the fact that the U.S. Army Signal Corps occupied the campus during
World War II (instruction was suspended for this period). Enrollment increased
rapidly from 150 students in 1950 to about 700 in 1900 and 1,740 in 1965.
Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.