German and Russian
The department was instituted in the spring
of 1950, when G. Ledyard Stebbins moved from Berkeley to Davis in
order to reorganize the teaching of the beginning course in genetics
and to become vice-chairman for the Davis section of the graduate
group in genetics. In July of the same year, he was joined by Melvin
M. Green. From 1950-57, a two-man section of the Berkeley department,
with Stebbins as vice-chairman, performed the duties designated.
In addition, they offered a course in organic evolution and in the
structure of the gene. In July, 1957, they were joined by Richard
Snow. In addition to sharing in the teaching of Genetics 100, he
initiated a course in cytogenetics. In July, 1958, in accordance
with the general policy of separating departments in Davis from
those in Berkeley, the genetics department on the Davis campus became
autonomous, with Stebbins as its first chairman. Further additions
were Alex S. Fraser, January, 1963; Harris Bernstein, September,
1963; and Robert W. Allard, July 1, 1964. Fraser became chairman
in 1963, replacing Stebbins; Snow was acting chairman in 1965.
The original department was housed in the Animal
Science Building until 1963, when it moved into newly constructed
quarters in Hutchison Hall.
In 1961, the department received a genetics training
grant from the National Institutes of Health. This grant made possible
the appointment of a series of visiting professors for one semester,
plus a number of postdoctoral research associates and graduate student
scholars. The eminent geneticists who taught for one semester under
this grant were: Karl Sax and Hans Gloor (1961-62); Alex S. Fraser
(1962-63); Jens Clausen and Ralph Comstock (1963-64); Barbara Maling
and Bernard John (1964-65); Hugh Donald and Diter von Wettstein
(1965-66). In addition, the National Institutes of Health grant
made possible shorter visits to the campus for seminars or lectures
on the part of a large number of eminent geneticists.
In 1965, the department offered nine undergraduate
courses and five graduate courses and seminars. In addition to its
six staff members, it included three postdoctoral research associates
and 18 graduate students. source
The deparment was incorporated into the Division
of Biological Sciences in 1970; see also Division
of Biological Sciences.
Instruction in the field of geography began
on the Davis campus in 1955 with the appointment of Kenneth Thompson
to the Department of Anthropology, Economics, Geography, and Sociology.
In 1957, Herbert Schultz, a meteorologist with the Department of
Agricultural Engineering, was made a lecturer in geography to provide
instruction in climatology. By 1959 both economics and sociology
had been constituted as separate academic departments, leaving anthropology
and geography as a combined department, a situation which lasted
until 1964 when each of these two fields was given full departmental
status. Howard F. Gregor and Philip L. Wagner were appointed to
the department in 1960 and 1961, respectively, and the range of
course offerings in geography widened. Stephen C. Jett and Paul
D. Marr both joined the department in 1964 and a further addition
to the staff was made in 1965 so that for the academic year 1965-66
the geography staff had six full-time members and one part-time
An undergraduate major was first offered in 1961
and the M.A. program was begun in the fall of 1965. Plans for a
Ph.D. program were underway in the late 1960s.
Enrollment in geography courses increased from
80 in 1955-56 to 1,027 in 1964-65. In the spring semester of 1965
there were 16 undergraduate majors and four graduate students in
geography. The departmental course offerings included 26 undergraduate
courses and six graduate courses, covering all the major sub-areas
of geography. source
Geography is now a program area of Landscape Architecture
in the Department of Environmental Design; see also Environmental
The Department of Geology traces its origins to 1935, when C. A.
Anderson commuted to Davis from UC Berkeley by train to give courses
in geology. The first permanent faculty member, Charles G. Higgins,
joined UCD in 1953. Two other geologists were added in 1957 and
1959, Donald Emerson and Emile Pessagno, respectively. In 1959 the
Department of Geological Sciences was established, and the first
geology students graduated in June 1960. An M.S. degree was authorized
The department began development in earnest in 1963, when Cordell
Durrell joined it as chair. Durrell initiated the change of the
departmental name to Department of Geology. Other new faculty during
the 1960s included James W. Valentine, Eldridge M. Moores, Jere
H. Lipps, Richard Cowen, Daniel I. Axelrod, and Ian D. MacGregor.
The department formulated its first long-range development plan
in 1969, which emphasized two foci: crust and mantle evolution,
and paleobiology-paleoenvironments. A few years later, a third focus,
environmental geology, was added. Several faculty members were swept
up in the plate tectonic revolution in geology that occurred between
1966-1972. Papers by Moores and Valentine became famous as some
of the foundation documents in the plate tectonics revolution and
helped establish the UCD geology department as a leader in the field.
During the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s the department grew with the
addition of nationally known faculty in petrology (Howard W. Day,
Charles R. Lesher), structural geology ( Robert J. Twiss, Harry
W. Green), geochemistry (Robert I. Zierenberg, Isabel Montanez,
Dawn Summer), paleoenvironments (Jeffrey F. Mount, Howard W. Spero,
Sandra J. Carlson, Geerat Vermeij), and environmental geology (Robert
A. Matthews). The graduate and undergraduate programs have become
nationally famous, and the department attracts top graduate students
from throughout the world. For several years the department has
ranked among the top 25 graduate programs in the nation.
Several faculty members have developed international reputations.
UC Davis geology faculty have received many awards, including a
MacArthur fellowship awarded to Geerat Vermeij, a Packard fellowship
to Anne Hofmeister, a President's faculty fellowship to Louise Kellogg,
and an honorary D.Sc., the Geological Association of Canada Medal,
and Presidency of the Geological Society of America to Eldridge
Moores. In the late 1990s J. F. Mount, then chair of the department,
received widespread publicity as an advocate for creative ways for
the United States to alleviate damage to lives and property from
large floods. source
German and Russian
German was the first foreign language introduced
into the teaching curriculum at UC Davis. Celeste Turner Wright
initiated instruction in 1933, and under her guidance, the study
of the German language continued in the following years.
A great expansion in offerings occurred in 1949
when Siegfried Puknat, a professional Germanist, joined the faculty
and set about augmenting the German courses. By 1953 the curriculum
included not only elementary, intermediate, and advanced language
instruction but also a wide spectrum of upper-division courses in
German literature. By 1964, when Professor Puknat left Davis to
become the first dean of the humanities on the Santa Cruz campus,
the number of faculty in German at UC Davis had increased to eight.
Graduate study was added in 1962, first toward
the M.A. degree and then, in 1966, toward the Ph.D. With the introduction
of graduate courses, the teaching of lower-division German was put
into the hands of graduate teaching assistants under the direction
of a competent language supervisor well-versed in the latest methods
of language pedagogy. As a consequence, departmental professors
could focus their energies on teaching the history and critical
analysis of German literature.
Since 1966 the prestige of the actively publishing
faculty in German has been enhanced by a roster of distinguished
visiting professors invited to the campus on a more or less regular
basis, often cosponsored by the Max Kade Foundation in New York.
Some of the most illustrious names in German literary scholarship
have contributed over the years to the quickening of the intellectual
tone of both graduate and undergraduate teaching at Davis.
Shields Library holdings in German are noteworthy.
Since the advent of graduate study in German, the department, with
the assistance of competent librarians, has aggressively sought
to increase the collection of German books and periodicals. Davis
can now boast of having one of the finest research libraries in
German in the United States.
The department remains committed to excellence
in teaching and research in all areas of German study. Its faculty
is held in international esteem. Its flourishing undergraduate program
is matched with a graduate program that has placed an impressive
number of Davis Ph.D.s in other colleges and universities.
Courses in the Russian language have been offered
at UC Davis since 1960. In 1965 an undergraduate major in Russian
was established, followed by a master's degree program in 1968.
Numerous graduate students were trained in Russian language, linguistics,
and literature during the late Soviet period. In the wake of the
breakup of the Soviet Union in 1991 and under the pressure of unreplaced
faculty attrition, the graduate program was canceled in 1993. The
core of the currently offered undergraduate major is a three-year
Russian language sequence with additional courses in culture, history,
and literature. source
See also Foreign