Berkeley: Departments and Programs
Slavic Languages and Literatures
Soils and Plant Nutrition
South and Southeast Asian Studies
Soviet and Post-Soviet Studies Program
Spanish and Portuguese
Structural Engineering and Structural
The first step toward the establishment of
a Department of Scandinavian was taken in 1945, when the Regents
approved an experimental curriculum in Scandinavian languages and
literature for a period of three years. This curriculum was to be
financed by a gift of $15,000 donated by interested Scandinavians
at the initiative of the California Chapter of the American Scandinavian
Various unsuccessful attempts to establish a chair
in Scandinavian had been made as early as 1897 in the form of a
petition presented to the University by local Scandinavians. But
the only Scandinavian field represented at the University until
1946 was Old Norse, which had been given at intervals since 1892.
The first professor of Scandinavian was Assar
Götrik Janzén, then docent at the University of Lund, Sweden, who
was invited to Berkeley as a visiting professor in 1946. A department
was established provisionally the same year with the title Department
of Scandinavian Languages and Literature. Toward the end of the
three-year trial period, President Sproul noted officially, "that
the interest of the students had been considerably greater than
expected," and he proposed the department be made permanent.
When the Regents accepted the budget for the fiscal
year 1949-50 on July 22, 1949, the establishment of the new department
became a fact and Janzén was appointed to regular status. The program
during the first years comprised survey courses in Scandinavian
literature in English translation, language instruction in Swedish
every year, and Norwegian and Danish in alternate years. In 1950,
a part-time lecturer joined the one-man teaching staff. Beginning
with the fall semester of the same year, an undergraduate major
program in Scandinavian was established officially. In 1952, the
name of the department was changed to Department of Scandinavian.
The major program required more teachers and in
1952 an assistant professor with Norwegian as his major language
joined the staff. During the following years, more students in the
department and related fields expressed interest in Scandinavian
instruction at the graduate level. In 1954, the department requested
authorization to offer instruction leading to the master's and doctor's
degrees. The University authorized the department to offer an M.A.
program in Scandinavian in 1955 and a Ph.D. program in 1958, when
an assistant professor with Danish as his main field joined the
Starting in the mid-1950s, students showed a
growing interest in Scandinavian courses. As a result of this increase,
the teaching staff grew and included, as of July, 1965, two full
professors, two associate professors, three assistant professors,
and several teaching assistants.
At the same time, the department program developed
in breadth and depth and covered nearly every aspect of Scandinavian
linguistics and literature. The language program included regular
instruction at all levels of Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish. Instruction
in Faroese and Icelandic was given upon request in special study
courses. Regular instruction in Old Icelandic and Old Swedish wais
given at the graduate level and Old Danish and Old Norwegian were
covered in special study courses. The history and development of
the languages was treated in seminars and a survey of Scandinavian
dialects was given in a regular graduate course.
The program in literature included survey courses
in the history of Scandinavian literature from 1300 to the present,
courses in the development of the Scandinavian drama and the Scandinavian
novel, and special courses in Old Norse literature, the dramas of
Henrik Ibsen, and the writings of August Strindberg and Soren Kierkegaard.
On the graduate level, various literary trends and epochs were studied
in depth in both regular courses and seminars. source
Slavic Languages and Literatures
By the 1960s, the Department of Slavic Languages
and Literatures on the Berkeley campus was one of the oldest in
the United States. It was created in the fall of 1901, when George
Rapall Noyes was appointed as instructor in English and Slavic.
In its first year, the newly created department
offered first and second year courses in Russian and one course
in Bohemian (Czech) and had a total enrollment of 15 students. Within
two years, it also offered a course in Polish and by 1908-09, included
courses in Serbo-Croatian and Old Church Slavic.
The enrollment, small enough originally, fell
off during the following two years, when the department counted
only five students for each year. In 1904, Noyes began offering
courses in Slavic literature and other Slavic topics for students
without any knowledge of a Slavic language. His course in Russian
literature was listed for the first two years in the program of
the English department. Only after 1905 did the Slavic department
Despite the modest enrollments, President Benjamin
Ide Wheeler continued to encourage Noyes to devote his entire energies
to teaching Slavic. In 1907, Noyes complied and for the next decade
was the sole member of the Slavic department.
With the outbreak of World War I and later, of
the two Russian Revolutions, interest in things Slavic (and especially
Russian) grew. In 1917, the department had two assistants appointed
to help out in its expanded program and by 1923, the department
personnel comprised three academic appointments: Noyes, Alexander
S. Kaun, and George Z. Patrick. Kaun was the first student in the
department to receive the Ph.D. degree in Slavic.
The department was now able to offer regular courses
at the undergraduate level in each of the four major Slavic languages:
Russian, Polish, Czech, and Serbo-Croatian. Old Church Slavic, Historical
Grammar of Russian, and an occasional course in Lithuanian were
also presented, as well as courses in English dealing with the literatures
of each Slavic area. This type of curriculum continued as the basic
program of the department. Enrollments now reached very respectable
totals: for example--970 for the year 1924-25 and 1,323 for the
year 1928-29. Almost all instruction, however, was on the undergraduate
level, graduate study attracting a mere handful of students. Thus,
one M.A. degree in Slavic was awarded in 1931, 1932, and 1933 and
none in 1934 and 1935. Toward the middle of the 1930s, however,
interest in the graduate curriculum began to increase and four Ph.D.
degrees were awarded in 1938-42 (Raiko Ruzic, Elizabeth Malozemoff,
Jack A. Posin, and Oleg A. Maslenikov, with the latter appointed
to the departmental staff in 1942). In 1934, with Samuel H. Cross
of Harvard, Patrick organized the Intensive Russian Language Course,
given first at Harvard (1934), then at Columbia (1935), and then
at the University of California (1936-37).
During World War II, the department participated
in the Army Specialized Training Program and offered courses in
Russian and Serbo-Croatian, featuring the "saturation" approach
to language teaching.
With the serious illness of Patrick, the retirement
of Noyes (1943), and the sudden death of Kaun (1944), the department
changed radically. The new scholars to join the department were
Waclaw Lednicki (1944), Gleb Struve (1946), Francis J. Whitfield
(1948), and Czeslaw Milosz (1960). It then expanded its program
in literature and in non-Russian language offerings and also increased
the class contact hours in its courses in elementary Russian. The
most significant change, however, took place in the graduate program.
In response to the rise in the number of graduate students, the
department, with its new staff, greatly augmented its schedule of
seminars in Slavic literatures and linguistics. Between World War
II and 1965, the department awarded 18 Ph.D. degrees.
In 1964-65, the catalogue listed a teaching staff
of 20, exclusive of teaching assistants. During the academic year
1964-65, the department counted 1,368 students enrolled in 77 courses,
including 18 undergraduate majors who received A.B. degrees in Slavic
languages and literatures and 50 graduate students working toward
higher degrees. source
This department was established in 1946 through
reorganization of the existing Department of Social Institutions,
which had been created in 1919 under the leadership of Frederick
Edward W. Strong of the Department of Philosophy
was appointed chairman of the new Department of Sociology and Social
Institutions and served until 1952. Among the faculty members in
1947-48 were Margaret T. Hodgen, Robert A. Nisbet, Reinhard Bendix,
and Kenneth E. Bock. Bendix and Bock, appointed in 1947, and Wolfram
Eberhard, appointed the following year, were with the department
continuously after their appointments. The curriculum in these years
included courses in social theory, historical aspects of society,
contemporary institutions, and social processes.
Brought from the University of Chicago in 1952
to serve as chairman, Herbert Blumer did much to strengthen the
department before resigning as chairman in 1958. During this period,
Blumer and Kingsley Davis each had been elected president of the
American Sociological Society; Davis, Charles Y. Glock, William
Kornhauser, Seymour Martin Lipset, and Leo Lowenthal had been chosen
fellows of the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences;
the number of undergraduate majors had increased from 34 in the
fall of 1952 to 84 in the spring of 1958; and the number of graduate
students had increased from 69 to approximately 135.
The department, renamed Department of Sociology
in 1961, continued to hold distinguished place under the chairmanships
of Bendix, Davis, and Philip Selznick. The American Sociological
Association's MacIver Award, given for a publication that has made
an outstanding contribution to the progress of sociology, was awarded
three times to department members (Bendix, Lipset, and Erving Goffmann).
Selznick, Lipset, and Davis were elected to membership in the American
Academy of Arts and Sciences, and (in addition to those mentioned
above) Selznick, Harold L. Wilensky, and Martin A. Trow were chosen
fellows of the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences.
Blumer was vice-president of the International Sociological Association,
and Neil J. Smelser served as editor of the American Sociological
Review. Faculty members who directed research organizations
include: Blumer, Institute of Social Sciences; John A. Clausen,
Institute of Human Development; Lipset, Institute of International
Studies; Glock, Survey Research Center; Selznick, Center for the
Study of Law and Society; Davis, International Population and Urban
Research, H. Franz Schurmann, Center for Chinese Studies. Faculty
members also participated in the work of the Institute of Industrial
Relations and the Center for the Study of Higher Education.
An energetic Graduate Sociology Club published
the Berkeley Journal of Sociology annually after 1955. This
student-edited professional journal was perhaps unique in being
devoted primarily to the contributions of graduate students.
By the mid-1960s, the department numbered 30
faculty members, 250 undergraduate majors, 195 graduate students.
The curriculum encompassed courses in such broad fields as social
change, demography, social psychology, social theory, methodology,
institutions, sociology of culture, deviance, political and industrial
Soils and Plant Nutrition
Instruction in soil science was initiated
at Berkeley in 1874 by Eugene W. Hilgard, who was a pioneer investigator
in the subject and the first director of the California Agricultural
Experiment Station. In 1877, instruction was available in soil chemistry,
soil physics, and in the genesis and classification of soils. By
1913, the subject had occupied the major attention of three divisions:
agricultural chemistry (John S. Burd), soil chemistry and bacteriology
(Charles B. Lipman), and soil technology (Charles F. Shaw).
The Division of Soil Technology gave primary emphasis
to soil survey and morphology, but gradually expanded its scope
to include soil physics and soil chemistry and in 1951 became the
Department of Soils. The Department of Plant Nutrition originated
in 1922, with Dennis R. Hoagland as chairman, by combining the Division
of Agricultural Chemistry with the Division of Soil Chemistry and
Bacteriology. In 1955, the Department of Plant Nutrition merged
with the Department of Soils, forming a two-campus Department of
Soils and Plant Nutrition (Berkeley and Davis sections). The two
sections became autonomous in 1964 with the appointment of separate
In 1912, only a small number of courses were available
in the subject and there were few students. Nevertheless, it was
during that year that Walter P. Kelley received the first Ph.D.
degree in soil science under the supervision of Hilgard. Several
additional Ph.D. degrees had been awarded before the first undergraduate
curriculum was instituted in 1935. In that year, 12 undergraduate
and two graduate courses were offered. The number increased in 1950
to 17 undergraduate and four graduate courses and in 1965 to 19
undergraduate and ten graduate courses. The 13 resident faculty
members listed in 1945 had increased to 16 by 1955 and had decreased
again to 13 by 1965 (nine professorial titles and four lecturers).
The primary teaching role of the department was
to develop well-trained technicians and scientists at B.S., M.S.,
and Ph.D. degree levels in the subject area. However, service to
other departments played an important part in the development of
the teaching program. Thus, students of forestry, landscape architecture,
and civil engineering were able to supplement their programs through
courses in soils and plant nutrition.
Approximately 300 B.S. degrees were awarded in
the subject between 1910 and the mid-1960s. Of that number, 81
were awarded in 1938-42, and 71 in 1948-52, the first peak having
been stimulated by the national soil conservation program, and the
second by the influx of veterans after World War II. During 1945-65,
approximately 25 graduate students per year majored in soil science,
and approximately five graduate students per year received their
supervision in soils and plant nutrition while majoring in plant
The research program of the department emphasized
the discovery and functions of elements essential for plant growth,
the physical chemistry of soils, soil genesis and cartography, and
soil physics. In the mid-1960s, additional emphasis was placed on
soil mineralogy and soil biochemistry. The departmental research
program was closely integrated with that of the California Agriculture
Experiment Station. source
The department no longer exists as such.
South and Southeast Asian Studies
There is no history currently available for this department.
Soviet and Post-Soviet Studies Program
There is no history currently available
for this program.
Spanish and Portuguese
In 1870, the Department of Modern Languages,
under Paul Pioda, offered courses in French, German, Spanish, and
Italian. Manuel Corella was appointed instructor in Spanish in 1872;
his place was taken, in 1874, by Carlos F. Gompertz, who taught
until 1881. In 1887, Félicien V. Paget was appointed to the staff
and taught French, Spanish and Italian. The department was split
into two parts in 1893: German and Romance. Paget had charge of
the latter until his death in 1903, when he was succeeded by Samuel
A. Chambers (French and Italian). In 1900, the department title
was changed to Department of Romanic Languages.
It was in 1910 that the modern history of the
Spanish department began. President Benjamin Ide Wheeler brought
Rudolph Schevill from Yale, made him chairman of the Department
of Romanic Languages and gave him a free hand in building up the
library and staff; he was provided with funds for the purchase of
books and periodicals. Percival B. Fay (French) and Sylvanus G.
Morley (Spanish) joined the staff in 1914 and remained throughout
their careers. Ramón Jaén came in 1917, but died after only two
years of service. Erasmo Buceta came as a replacement for Jahn and
remained until retirement. In 1919, the department was divided into
three parts: French, Spanish, and Italian, each with its own chairman.
Schevill remained in charge of Spanish.
During the 1920s, the Spanish department was
aided considerably by the generosity of Don Juan Cebrián, a Spaniard
who developed a prosperous construction business in San Francisco
and used his means to promote cultural relations between his native
and adopted lands, including munificent gifts of books to the library.
The year 1922 saw two important additions to the
staff: Elijah C. Hills and Charles E. Kany. Hills was the first
to give a course in elementary Portuguese (1923), but it was not
until 1931 that, by his initiative, the title of the department
was changed to Spanish and Portuguese. Portuguese had a variety
of teachers, including visiting professors Fidelino de Figueiredo
(1931, 1937) and Erico Verissimo (1944) before the appointment of
Benjamin M. Woodbridge, Jr., in 1949. In 1924, Lesley B. Simpson
joined the staff, and in 1927, Robert K. Spaulding. Arturo Torres-Ríoseco
came to develop Latin-American studies in 1928.
Professor Hills died in 1932, leaving to the University
much of his valuable library. Schevill became emeritus in 1944,
and died in 1946. Morley became emeritus in 1948. Buceta retired
in 1954, and died in 1964. Simpson and Spaulding retired in 1955
and 1956, respectively. Kany became emeritus in 1962, Torres-Ríoseco
in 1965. The scholars who replaced them were Edwin S. Morby, Dorothy
C. Shadi, R. Fernando Alegría, G. Arnold Chapman, Luis Monguió John
H. R. Polt, and Louis A . Murillo. Yakov Malkiel, a linguist, came
in 1942; in 1947, he founded the distinguished journal, Romance
Philology. José F. Montesinos, a man of letters, entered the department
in 1946 and became emeritus in 1965. Medievalist Diego Catalán came
in 1965, and bibliographer Antonio Rodriguez-Mońino joined the staff
in 1966. source
In the later part of the nineteenth century,
when Charles Mills Gayley of the English department introduced instruction
in argumentation and debate, he could scarcely have foreseen that
a prestigious Department of Speech would grow out of that modest
beginning. Yet interest in these subjects grew and some years later
(1896), Martin C. Flaherty joined the English department to teach
forensics. Flaherty was to be the predominant figure in developing
speech instruction on the Berkeley campus for the next 45 years.
In 1915, he founded the Department of Public Speaking and became
its first chairman.
Courses in forensics, public address, and oral
interpretation were central in these early years and a series of
courses in acting was added. Just as the English department was
the seedbed for the speech department, the latter began the courses
which resulted in a separate Department of Dramatic Art in 1941.
After 1940, a determined effort was made to enrich
the departmental offerings and to hire a staff capable of teaching
and writing on the problems of human discourse across a range of
aesthetic to scientific analysis, keeping in mind always the aim
of adding a graduate program to the achievement represented by the
undergraduate curriculum. Oral interpretation offerings expanded
with new goals of teaching and research. The English for Foreign
Students Program was reintroduced (one of the earliest courses in
the department, subsequently dropped, had been Oral English for
Foreigners). Also revived were earlier courses in British and American
public address. The speech science (or speech behavior) staff was
much strengthened. Courses in phonetics, semantics, symbolism, and
rhetoric--classical, medieval, and modern--moved the department
substantially toward its goal.
Flaherty was the first department chairman (1915-39).
Succeeding him were Gerald E. Marsh (1939-55), Jacobus tenBroek
(1955-61), Woodrow Borah (acting chairman 1959-60), Don Geiger (1961-64),
and Robert Beloof, starting in 1964.
By the mid-1960s, the department looked forward
to the implementation of a graduate program in speech. The program,
ideally, would be a logical extension of the department's historic
dedication to the idea that rhetoric, or the study of human discourse,
is both a profoundly important and highly complex subject. The program
would be unique in its insistence that this subject may be profitably
approached only through a basic grasp of the whole field and of
the various scholarly and critical techniques used by each area.
The department staff was convinced that in this way the scholar,
working ultimately in his specialty, might approach his problems
with sufficient sophistication to avoid the oversimplifications
and misconceptions which could easily emasculate work in so elusive
a subject. source
The department no longer exists as such; the current
Department of Rhetoric is a continuation of this program.
The late 1920s and early 1930s saw an unprecedented
growth in the use and development of statistical methods. Courses
in statistical techniques proliferated to the extent that the Committee
on Courses appointed a special subcommittee to review the situation
and make recommendations on the possibility of concentrating statistical
instruction within the Department of Mathematics. The subcommittee
composed of Clarence W. Brown, George M. Peterson, Griffith C. Evans,
Albert H. Mowbray, and C. Donald Shane (chairman) recommended in
June, 1937 the appointment of a professional mathematical statistician
to establish a sequence of courses within the Department of Mathematics.
Jerzy Neyman, appointed for this purpose in 1938, became, in 1939,
director of a unit called the Statistical Laboratory. The unit acquired
a separate budget in 1947 and little by little became an essentially
In 1954, upon recommendation by Chancellor Clark
Kerr, President Robert Gordon Sproul requested that a separate Department
of Statistics be created and that the budget of the laboratory be
distributed between the department and an institute which would
continue the research functions of the laboratory. This reorganization
became effective in July, 1955.
Originally, the laboratory was organized essentially
as a research unit and the enrollment, especially at the undergraduate
level, was small and erratic. In the beginning, this situation persisted
in the newly created department. However, by 1956 a reasonable pattern
of enrollment had already established itself. This pattern continued,
with an increase in enrollment of 20-25 per cent per year, until
By 1965, the department offered a wide spectrum
of courses in probability and in theoretical or applied branches
of statistics. The department cooperated with the College of Engineering
in the engineering mathematical statistics program. The department
also cooperated with the Department of Biostatistics in the School
of Public Health in the administration of programs leading to the
master's and Ph.D. degrees in biostatistics. Within the department
itself, programs leading to the master's degree in statistics were
devised with a view to giving recognition to students in biological
sciences, economics, agricultural economics, and other fields who
wanted to acquire a substantial background in statistical methodology.
Between 1955 and the mid-1960s, the department granted 68 Ph.D.
degrees. Approximately half of the Ph.D. degree recipients continued
statistical research and teaching at domestic or foreign universities.
Others continued in private industry and occasionally in governmental
positions. In 1964-65, the department had 49 graduate students enrolled
for the master's degree and 62 enrolled for the Ph.D. degree. The
growth in student enrollment was partly reflected in the growth
of the number of Ph.D. level faculty in the department, which increased
from 11 in 1955 to 22.75 (full-time equivalent) in 1965. This faculty
encompassed interests ranging from the most abstract and theoretical
to the more practical fields. Research was conducted, in measure
theory, integration, the theory of statistics, dynamic programming,
and theoretical and applied probability, as well as subjects relating
to astronomy, carcinogenesis, epidemiology, meteorology, and many
other substantive fields.
After 1945, Neyman, director of the Statistical
Laboratory, organized the Berkeley Symposia on Mathematical Statistics
and Probability. These occurred at five-year intervals and gathered
for a period of six weeks a large number of eminent scholars. source
and Structural Mechanics