While the emphasis in this early period was upon problems of the rural home and community, the problems of the expanding urban population were clearly seen, and at an early date instruction in landscape architecture in the broadest sense was developed. The Announcement of Courses for 1915-1916 listed some 12 courses, two of which were graduate courses related to civic art and town planning. Instruction in floriculture and other purely agricultural studies eventually was shifted to other departments, and the curriculum was expanded to include courses in descriptive geometry, art, engineering, and architecture, as well as botany, genetics, and other agricultural sciences. The name of the department changed from Division of Landscape Gardening and Floriculture, to Division of Landscape Design (Department of Agriculture), to Department of Landscape Architecture (College of Environmental Design).
Over the years there was more and more emphasis on the study of the city and suburban areas, the open spaces of the city, and the outdoor recreational needs of all people. There was also considerable attention focused on national and state parks, national forest, and wild lands generally. This trend toward study of urban design problems on one hand and problems of the regional landscape on the other continued to the point that by 1965 the graduate student could choose one or the other area of emphasis.
In 1955, Mrs. Beatrix Farrand gave her Reef Point Library to the department. This library was described by the University librarian as the best subject library that had ever come to the University. In 1957, Mrs. Anson Blake deeded her 11-acre property to the University for use by the Department of Landscape Architecture as a laboratory for teaching and research. This was a rapidly developing and important facility.
The department enjoyed steady growth and development. By the mid-1960s, student enrollment stood at 85 undergraduate and 25 graduate students; the faculty complement was ten, with some joint appointments in city and regional planning and in architecture. source
After 1952, the department built up its course offerings as its enrollment and teaching staff grew. In 1964-65, undergraduate majors numbered 48 and graduate majors 57. The faculty consisted, in part, of full-time appointments, and, in part, of appointments shared with other departments; beginning in 1965-66, appointments of the latter type became the exception. Faculty in this year numbered 12.
The curriculum at the undergraduate level inducted the student into an understanding of the diversity of languages, of their nature as instruments of communication and as structured systems, and of their history as changing systems. The graduate student learned the techniques of analyzing structures descriptively and of tracing their histories. He was trained in the history of linguistic theories. Students at all levels were required to attain a knowledge, more or less expert, of a number of languages, especially those of Western civilization, but preferably including others from outside this group. Many doctoral dissertations were descriptions or comparative accounts of native languages of the Americas, Africa, or Asia. By the 1960s there were additions to the curriculum in such subjects as mechano-linguistics (e.g., machine translation), experimental phonetics, and dialectology.
At the time the department was founded in 1952, it was entrusted with a research project entitled Survey of California Indian Languages. It was judged that the University's peculiarly local obligation to the world of knowledge lay in providing descriptions of the state's many aboriginal languages and in initiating comparative linguistic work that would lead to a reconstruction of the human prehistory of California and, by implication, of much of the American continent. The survey at the same time provided a highly valued research opportunity for graduate students in the department.
A large part of the 41 volumes (as of 1965) of the University of California Publications in Linguistics was based on survey research by faculty and graduate students. This series of publications also reflected the department's interests in South and Southeast Asia, the Pacific, romance philology, and various aspects of Indo-European studies. The University's strength in these fields of linguistics was amply recognized by the reviewers.
In 1964, the Linguistic Atlas of the Pacific Coast, established earlier in the Department of English, was transferred to linguistics. Results of this survey of English dialects in California and Nevada were correlated with what is known about American settlement history and patterns of westward migration. source
Copyright © 1999-2005
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 06/18/04.