the sculptor, grew up in Berkeley as a resident and
student at the California School for the Deaf (where
the University's Clark Kerr Campus is now located).
He took entrance examinations to attend UC, but decided
to go to Paris instead to study art. The Football
Statue was brought in triumph to Berkeley to become
the first piece of permanent sculpture on the University
grounds. It was not placed on campus until 1900, however;
the unveiling took place on May 12, 1900, Class Day
at Berkeley. On the same day, groundbreaking was held
for the President's Mansion on campus (now University
House), which was the first building sited under the
new Phoebe Hearst Architectural Plan.