Endnote X7 Exercises
ADD CITATIONS or REFERENCES to your Endnote Library, use the following methods.
1. DIRECT EXPORT: search from Endnote to the catalogs and databases.
Web of Science, BIOSIS, JSTOR, Melvyl, OskiCat, Academic Search & Google Scholar allow exporting directly from the database into Endnote.
• Web of Science, or BIOSIS - OPEN
• Search title or keywords: "supersymmetry"
• Select records you want to export. Click on Save to Endnote, Refworks or other...
• Click on Export / Citing (top menu bar).
• Endnote will open & download your citations into imported citations folder or use your default library.
• Agricola - Open (Proquest includes GeoRef, and others)
• Search keywords: "carbon ecosystem"
• Save the records you want to export.
• Click on download & Select "RIS, Endnote..." (includes a BibTeX choice)
• Click on Download to export your marked records to Endnote or Refworks.
• Endnote will open, you may have to select the library or use your default library.
OSKICAT - UC Berkeley Library catalog.
To DOWNLOAD or online search, Use Connection File: U Calif Berkeley
• FIRST; add to your ENDNOTE Connection Manager, U Calif-Berkeley
• Under tools - Online Search - enter - 'dark energy'
• Save results to your library.
OR EXPORT: (records from OskiCat to EndNnote)
1. Open: OskiCat
2. Search: keyword = “supersymmetry”.
3. Save selected records, click on “View Saved”
4. Click Export Saved.
5. Click ‘Format of List’ Endnote/Refworks.
6. Send List to: Local Disk. (must be a .txt file).
Open EndNote & Your Library.
1. File > Import: File. Browse to the .txt file that you saved.
2. Import Option - select the Innopac filter or if available - U of California, Berkeley filter.
3. Click the Import Button.
4. View imported records.
MELVYL - UC Catalog
DOWNLOAD SINGLE Reference one record at a time
1. Search for keywords: light beams
2. Click on the Title LINK to display full record.
3. Click on Cite/Export to Endnote link.
IMPORT MULTIPLE References: ** VERY IMPORTANT: You MUST Sign in to your account or create one.
1. Search keywords: exoplanets
2. Select citations to export.
3.Click Save to: select [New List] or an existing list.
4. Click your user name (top right corner of page). Click the title of the list you just created.
5. Click the Citations View tab.
6. Make sure all your citations are selected (this is the default).
7. In Export selected references drop down menu, select Endnote or RefWorks.
8. Click Export.
2. IMPORT TEXT files from a database into your Endnote Library. Use a matching filter.
**Each text file will import records from only one database or catalog. Name your file.**
PubMed, GeoRef, and MathSciNet allow IMPORT only from the database into Endnote on your computer.
For a list of indexes go to: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/PHYS/cal.html.
• PubMed - OPEN.
• Keyword search: "sick building syndrome"
• Save citations
• Under Send To: select Citation Manager
• Click on Create File
• Your ENDNOTE program should open & save the citations to your library.
ONLINE SEARCH from Endnote to Melvyl (and other files). Make sure your connection files are up to date, check Endnote.com. Disable your firewall & allow pop-ups.
1. Choose Reference Type: Book
2. ENTER this text into each field:
• Author: Cole, George H.A.
• Year: 2006
• Title: Wandering stars: about planets and exo-planets: an introductory notebook.
• Publisher: Imperial College Press; Distributed by World Scientific.
• Enter URL: http://ebooks.cambridge.org . Click it. Browser will open to full text of this book.
3. SAVE reference & CLOSE window.]
4. You will see the reference highlighted in your library.
– Insert ATTACHED FILE into a record field. Important to use for PDFs.
1. Tab to the FILE ATTACHMENTS FIELD.
2. From references choose File Attachments / Attach File.
3. Open the Program files/EndNote/Examples folder. Select Hominid Evolution.xls. OK
4. In CAPTION FIELD, enter Hominid Evolution. close the reference window.
5. Select a reference. Use the Show Preview / Hide Preview button to see selected styles.
Other types of files, like word docs or PDFs can be inserted into the Files attachment field.
– Insert an IMAGE FILE into a record field. (jpeg, gif, png. etc. pdf or other type of document)
1. Tab to FIGURE FIELD or click on the icon for ADD FIGURE.
2. From References choose Figure/Attach Figure.
3. Open the Program Files/EndNote/ Examples folder. Select Feather2.BMP. open. OK
4. In CAPTION FIELD, enter Crest Feathering. Close the reference window.
5. Click on the lower X or save this information. Close the window.
6. Use the Show Preview / Hide Preview button to see the style that is currently selected.
4. Use EndNote WEB or EndNote Sync.
1. Go to endnote.com and register online to access your web account.
2. Log-in: Enter your email address + your password.
Click on Organize: Manage my Groups, Create a new group or enter the title of an Endnote Library.
3. ENDNOTE under EndNote Web - click on Transfer/Sync option, to or from the web groups.
4. You can also IMPORT directly from the databases into your EndNote Web group.
Part II. PREFERENCES: Modify your Preferences to suit your needs
1. Set DEFAULT Library – to open when the program starts
EDIT > Preferences.
Select Libraries in left column. Select: Open the specified libraries from the menu.
Click Add Open Libraries. You may choose to delete the other libraries from the list. Apply
2. Change DISPLAY FIELDS in the library window.
Choose Display fields in the Preferences list.
Next to Column 1, choose Author from the drop-down menu.
Next to Column 2, choose Year.
Next to column 3, choose Title-- Apply.
3. Modify REFERENCE TYPES
Select Reference Types in the left column.
Click the Modify Reference Types Button|
Scroll to Custom 1. Add field name -- Apply to all or not.
4. Enable UC-eLinks
Choose URLs & Links. OPTIONAL
Under URL arguments: replace “WOS” with “EndNote”
Change this exact text in the argument below. -- ?sid=ISI:EndNote&aufirst=AUFIRST&aulast=AULAST&issn=ISSN&isbn=ISBN&atitle=ATITLE &title=TITLE&volume=VOLUME&issue=ISSUE&date=DATE&spage=SPAGE&epage=EPAGE
Select apply and OK.
To check UC eLinks: Under References - Choose URL/OpenURL
UC-eLinks window will open with your citation and full text retrieval options.
5. OPEN URLs & LINKS
Enter the OpenURL Path Field: http://ucelinks.cdlib.org:8888/sfx_local
Select apply and OK.
Using UC-eLinks: choose openURL/OPENURL.
UC-eLinks will open with citation & full text retrieval options
6. Find Full Text.
Check the OpenURL box.
Select Apply and Okay.
MANAGERS – allow you to ADD & EDIT > Output Styles, Import Filters, Connection Files.
Allow you to create lists of favorites displayed in the drop down menu.
Output Styles = bibliographic formats.
Import Filters = citations into Endnote. Must match the file that you are importing.
Under: Library Catalogs - add U California
Connection Files – allow you to connect to online indexes and library catalogs. Add U Calif-Berkeley.
Create your favorites list: Open Output style manager: check boxes of your favorite styles, they will display on the drop down list.
Select the style for your bibliography using the favorites menu.
Select references in your library.
Click Preview to see the current selected style.
Open Word; open a new document.
Begin writing. Insert a footnote.
Insert a citation: Tools > EndNote / Go to EndNote.
Select the citation(s) you wish to insert.
Use Shift to select a range of citations; use Ctrl to select assorted citations.
From Tools / Cite While You Write - Insert Selected Citation(s).
Select format bibliography from tools.
You can insert citations from EndNote while in Word.
Choose Insert Selected Citation(s) from the Tools/EndNote X menu in Word.
Continue writing. Create a NOTE using Tools > Insert Note.
In your Word document, Tools > Endnote X4/ Find Citation(s).
Type Berenbaum in the Find box. Search. Select the citation(s), and use the Insert button.
Continue writing. Insert an IMAGE.
From Tools > Endnote / Find Figure(s).
Use the search window to find the reference with the image.
In Find, type Osorio. Use the Insert button.
Select Where in the paper you would like the images & files to appear.
In the Find box, type Milkirk.
From Tools > Endnote / Format Bibliography.
Change the style of your bibliography using the drop-down menu in With output style:
Use the OK button to re-format your bibliography
Note other tab options in the dialog box.
Use Manuscript Templates
In EndNote, >Tools, >Manuscript Templates.
OR In Word, from File, choose New & use the EndNote tab to see the templates.
Select a template from the list in the Manuscript Template dialog box.
Open. (Enable Macros)
Enter information requested by the template wizard.
In Step 4, Sections, you may de-select sections you do not wish to include,
the checked items are required by the publisher of the selected journal.
Click Finish to complete and display new document.
The wizard places the information you supplied in the appropriate places in the document.
Depending on the publisher.
Follow steps above to insert citations, notes, images, files to your document and to format your bibliography.
Watch for character limits, are subheadings required, font and style information, etc.
Part IV. FORMAT BIBLIOGRAPHIES
A. Copy formatted method
EndNote > select Output Style (Edit/Output Styles).
Select references from your reference library. From Edit > Copy Formatted (Ctrl+K).
Open a Word document; place the cursor where you want the reference(s) to appear.
From Edit > Paste (Ctrl+V).
B. Export References
EndNote, select Output Style.
Sort the library; Select the references you wish to export.
From File > Export.
Select file name, file type and destination (“Save in :”) for your bibliography.
Open the text file you have just created in a word processor to edit or print.
C. Drag-and-drop (not all word processing programs support this method)
In EndNote, select an Output Style.
Select citations from your reference library.
Hold Ctrl key and drag the references from the library to your word processing document.
When using drag-and-drop you can Tile your windows:
Click the right mouse button in the gray space on the Task bar (the bar with the Start button).
Choose Tile Horizontally or Tile Vertically.|
C. Create a subject bibliography
Library > Tools > Subject Bibliography. Keywords. OK.
Subject Terms/ Keywords search box corresponds to the keywords field in your library.
Select subject terms to use as subject headings in your bibliography. OK.
Your bibliography is formatted on the screen.
Click Layout button to modify the layout and style of your bibliography.
Click on the tabs, References, Terms, Page Layout and Bibliography Layout.
Verify or change the settings.
Once your bibliography is set up, display with Print Preview, print, or save. Close.
From Groups, choose Create Group. Use Custom to Name your Group.
Click on All References under groups to be sure all your references are showing.
Click on the reference to put in your group. Hold down the shift or control key for more than one.
Drag the selected reference to the new group. Also choose Add Reference to on the Groups menu.
You can create up to 500 Custom and Smart groups.
Smart Groups use search criteria to update dynamically as references are edited or new references are added to the library.
For more information: Citation & Document Management, Science Libraries, and the Bioscience and Natural Resources Library.http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/sciences/managing_citations
Copyright © 2013 The Regents of the University of California.
All rights reserved. Comment Form.
Last update: 10.10.13