The Center for Science and Engineering Information Literacy (CSEIL) was established to provide a focus for Berkeley's science and engineering librarians to work collaboratively in the development of programs and tools to support the teaching and research goals of our faculty and students.
CSEIL will establish a campus presence and resources to promote science and engineering information literacy.
CSEIL will foster collaboration and communication among librarians, faculty, students and other potential partners and benefactors in addressing the issues and challenges of science and engineering information literacy.
CSEIL will support innovation and exploration in the development and delivery of programs integrating science and engineering information literacy concepts, abilities and skills.
CSEIL will identify technologies and tools to enhance staff instructional skills that will enable them to teach effectively for lifetime learning.
Information Literacy: Definition
Information literacy is a process that allows a person to:
- Recognize when information is needed.
- Access the information effectively and legally.
- Evaluate information and its sources critically.
- Use information effectively and ethically.
- Understand the economic, legal and social issues surrounding the production, distribution and use of information.
- Incorporate selected information into his or her own knowledge base.
History of CSEIL
- Brief History (2001-2009)
- Annual Reports:
- Budget Requests (user name and password required)
- Equipment List and Use (Excel spreadsheet, user name and password required)
- CSEIL Website Usage Statistics: FY 2002-03 | FY 2003-04 (Excel spreadsheets, user name and password required)
- ALA Presidential Committee on Information Literacy. Final Report. Chicago, ALA, 1989.
- ACRL "Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education: Information Literacy Defined" (accessed November 6, 2008).
- "Characteristics of Programs of Information Literacy that Illustrate Best Practices" (accessed November 6, 2008).
Page owner: Jean McKenzie