VPN for Windows computers - Instructions
VPN service is available to current UC Berkeley students, faculty, and staff.
ALERT: A Microsoft patch issued in February, 2015 may lead to 'Failed to initialize connection subsystem' errors with AnyConnect VPN.
- The client software runs on your off-campus computer.
- VPN allows you to access all our licensed resources as if you were using a campus computer.
- Some programs require VPN for off-campus use:
ARTstor (Macintosh only), JSTOR (Mac OS X), Luna Insight, the java client in UC Image Service, Loeb Classical Library Online, and the Connect function in EndNote.
- VPN will work with all web browsers and most types of Internet connection, except AOL.
VPN software download and configuration problems are best handled by campus Information Services and Technology (IST):
- Students: visit the Student Computer Consulting Service; you can make an appointment online.
- Faculty and Staff: contact the IST Service Desk
- 510-664-9000, option 1, option 1, option 1
- Go to the campus Cisco VPN website.
- Download the current AnyConnect VPN client for Windows.
- Install it on your computer. The installation wizard will walk you through the steps.
- Refer to this page for details.
- Run VPN before using article databases, electronic journals, etc.
- Always choose the Library VPN option.
- Disconnect VPN when your session is finished.
NOTE: There may be special issues if your computer is behind a firewall, or if you use an older version of the Symantec Client Security (SCS) software. For more information see this UC Berkeley IST Knowledge Base article.
- Download the AnyConnect software
- Have your CalNet ID and passphrase ready.
- To download the software now, go to the campus Cisco VPN website.
- Click on the Windows link in the Name column.
- When prompted, log in with your CalNet ID and passphrase.
- Click on the Download button or link.
- When the download process is complete, locate the Installer file on your PC.
- Exit all other Windows programs, and disable any antivirus software.
- Double-click on the VPN installer program icon.
- Click Run.
Install the software
- The installer wizard will take you through the installation process.
- The VPN Client will be installed in the default location C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client.
- When the installation has completed, the installer displays a confirmation.
- If the installer prompts you to reboot your computer.
NOTE: You will need to run VPN each time you want to use article databases, electronic journals, or other licensed library resources on your off-campus computer.
- Click the Windows Start button.
- Right-click on Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.
- In the right-click menu that appears, select Send to, then Desktop (create shortcut), or Pin to Taskbar.
That will place an icon on your computer desktop or taskbar
- Click on the icon.
- ucbvpn.berkeley.edu may already appear in the Ready to Connect window. If not, type it in.
Click on Connect.
- 3-Library_VPN may already appear in the Group pull-down menu. If not, select it.
- In the Username box, enter your CalNet ID.
- In the Password box, enter your passphrase.Click on OK.
- After a moment, a new icon will appear in your System Tray
- You are now connected through VPN and can access any licensed library resources.
NOTE: While the VPN software is running on your computer, all your Internet traffic is routed through the UC Berkeley campus network. To reduce the load on the network, disconnect VPN when your session is finished. This will not break your Internet connection.
- Click on the small VPN icon.
- Click on Disconnect.
- VPN is now disconnected and you can resume normal Internet use.
NOTE: If your connection is idle for 30 minutes, VPN will "time out" automatically.
For electronic resource access and availability questions please contact the Library via the Library Web Comment Form.