Interlibrary Lending Service (for institutional borrowers)
133 Doe Library
Interlibrary Lending provides access to the material holdings of the UC Berkeley Libraries to institutional borrowers in the United States and around the world.
Interlibrary Lending is available to:
- Academic, public, special and private libraries in the US, Canada and overseas.
Interlibrary Lending is not available to:
- Individual borrowers - individual users need to consult their local libraries to arrange interlibrary loans or use the fee-based Photoduplication Service to request scans.
Material Available for Loan
- Books - monographs are lent for 30 days. Please abide by the due date stamped on the request form sent with UC Berkeley material.
- We do not lend current or previous year English language imprints, proceedings of the past three years, reference/reserve material, double/triple folios, or rare books. Renewals are determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Periodicals - we do not lend bound or unbound periodicals.
- Dissertations and theses - we will lend if a circulating copy is available. The loan period is 30 days from receipt, library use only, and duplication is not permitted.
- Newspapers - we will only lend newspapers available in microfilm (shown in our catalog as “Newsfilm”).
- Microforms and special materials - most microforms (mainly microfilm) are available for loan for 30 days. Microforms, software, audio/visual material, maps and other media items do not circulate.
- Government Documents - including census material and congressional hearings are also non-circulating but may be available for duplication.
- Contact the Photoduplication Service to inquire about duplicating non-circulating material, which is not guaranteed.
How to submit requests
- OCLC - List CUY twice consecutively in the Lender String.
- ILL request form - use our ILL form to submit requests electronically.
- Fax - use ALA form or company letterhead and a separate form or page for each title. If possible, form or letterhead should be typed. Fax number: (510) 643-8476
- Mail - use of the standard ALA form is preferred. If possible, form should be typed.
- Telephone - telephone requests are not accepted.
Material is shipped via UPS, FedEx and other courier services with tracking. For expedited shipping, provide your FedEx or UPS account number (Rush fees may apply). For returns, a traceable method of shipping is preferred.
Please note: Loan service outside California is suspended for the last two weeks of December.
We accept payment via invoice, credit card, IFM (for OCLC requests) and IFLA vouchers (for webform orders only). We do not accept any vouchers as payment for lending activity.
- California libraries - $17.00 or 17 IFM loan fee for up to four volumes/reels of one title. Invoices are sent monthly. Prepayment is not required. No charge for public libraries covered by state library funds (PLF).
- Out of state libraries - $22.00 or 22 IFM loan fee for up to four volumes/reels of one title. Invoices are sent monthly. Prepayment is not required.
- The British Library - $30.00 or 30 IFM loan fee for up to four volumes/reels of one title. Invoices are sent monthly. Prepayment is not required.
- Rush processing - Additional $22.00 USD for expedited shipping. Rush requests must be received by 2:00pm in order to be processed for same-day shipment. Please specify Overnight or 2nd-day Delivery, providing your FedEx or UPS account number.
- Overseas - base fee is $45.00 USD, 45 IFM or 4 IFLA vouchers. Cost may increase due to excessive duties and taxes.