BAKER Document Delivery Service
133 Doe Library
Fall and Spring Semester Hours:
Monday - Friday: 10am - 4pm
Saturday - Sunday: Closed
BAKER is a fee-based Document Delivery Service available to:
- UCB faculty
- UCB staff
- UCB graduate students
- UC Office of the President staff with current UCB library cards
BAKER also serves the following groups by special agreement:
- BAKER will provide readable, electronic PDF and Word documents of articles or book chapters to eligible Disabled Students’ Program patrons, free-of-charge. See the BAKER for DSP Participants page for details.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory staff: see special instructions below
What is BAKER?
- BAKER allows you to request materials in the UC Berkeley library collection from your home or office using, OskiCat, Melvyl, email, fax, or campus or US mail.
- Items will be checked out or scanned and delivered either to your department or by email.
- If necessary, BAKER will place hold, recall, search, and NRLF (storage) requests on your behalf.
- If the material is not in the UC Berkeley library collection (and if you have pre-authorized BAKER to do so), your request will be automatically referred to the Interlibrary Borrowing Services.
Create an account
You may establish an account by depositing funds with Baker against which library fee-based services can be charged. See account details below for more information.
Submitting requests online
- via OskiCat
- Login to My OskiCat (You will need your CalNet Login information or your Library card/Cal1Cal number and OskiCat PIN)
- Find the item you want and select the “BAKER” button (which will not appear for patrons who are not logged in to OskiCat)
- Provide as much information as you can using the fields available for the book or article you are requesting.
- Use the “Notes” field to provide any special or additional instructions
- via Melvyl
- Find the publication record (e.g. monographs, journals) for the title you would like to loan or would like a scan to be made from
- Select the “Request” Button and provide as much information as you can using the available fields.
- You will need your Library card/Cal1Cal number and OskiCat PIN
- Choose UCB Baker Service on the pull-down menu corresponding to “Deliver My Request To” field
Submitting requests via email, fax, campus or postal mail, or in-person
Please include the following:
- Your name
- Your department
- Your phone number/email address
- Complete bibliographic information
- For books: author, title, publication date, edition.
- For journal articles: journal title, volume number, date, pages, author, and title of article.
- Email requests to firstname.lastname@example.org, including your name and department in the body of the message.
- Fax requests to (510) 643-8476 with “BAKER Request “clearly noted on the cover sheet.
- Drop-off requests in-person at the Interlibrary Services office (133 Doe Library) during open hours or in the book return slot outside 133 Doe Library. Submit requests in an envelope labeled “BAKER Request”.
- Mail requests:
BAKER, Interlibrary Services
133 Doe Library
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
- BAKER allows requests from LBNL patrons in two ways: using the “BAKER” button in OskiCat and the “Request” button in Melvyl/CDL.
- BAKER will not accept LBNL requests made via email, fax or campus or postal mail, or in-person.
BAKER fees are subject to change. Please note that fees cover staff costs for the work done on your requests, whether or not the material is actually available for your use.
- $5.50 per item requested via OskiCat and CDL Request
- $6.60 per item requested via email, fax, mail, and drop-off
- $0.15 per page of scanning (additional charge)
- $0.40 per page of copying from microforms to paper
BAKER Account details
You may establish an account by depositing funds with BAKER, against which library fee-based services can be charged.
- Account holders are expected to maintain positive balances and should deposit sufficient funds to cover estimated usage for the semester.
- Services may be suspended on overdrawn accounts.
- Funds deposited are not refundable but do carry over to the next academic year, or can be transferred to another BAKER account.
- You have the option of establishing an individual account or group account
- Group accounts - Research and lab groups, departments, etc., can open a single account with multiple users. Each authorized user can make requests in his/her own name, with all charges billed to the group account. BAKER will supply on request an Account Balance Statement itemizing BAKER use by date, user, and number of requests.
Payments/replenishing BAKER account funds
- Make checks payable to UC Regents and send via campus mail to:
- BAKER Service, 133 Doe Library, Mailcode 6000.
- Make Interdepartmental Order/Charge (IOC) forms to Interlibrary Services-BAKER. And send IOC via
- Fax to (510) 643-8476
- Campus mail to BAKER Service, 133 Doe Library, Mailcode 6000
- Email to email@example.com
- Call (510) 642-2538 to make a deposit by credit card. BAKER accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Discover.
Once material obtained via BAKER is checked out to you, it is your responsibility and the BAKER Service is no longer involved.
- Return books by the due date to the lending library.
- Overdue and recall notices will be sent to you directly.
- In accordance with Library circulation policy, you are responsible for the safe handling and return of materials and for any fines or replacement bills.