CROSSINGS OF THE BAY
After little more than a
decade of service, the great bridges spanning San Francisco Bay were reaching
their capacities. Following the end of World War II, regional officials
responded to the increasing vehicular traffic by designing and studying
plans for additional crossings of the Bay.
Plans for crossings between
San Francisco and Marin included a twin Golden Gate Bridge, a bridge crossing
from the Presidio to Point Diablo, a subaqueous tube between Aquatic Park
in San Francisco and Sausalito, and several designs for bridges along the
Tiburon Peninsula corridor, which would link San Francisco and Marin County
by way of Angel Island.
By 1947, eleven different
crossing locations between San Francisco and Alameda County had been proposed.
The plan that received the most attention was known as the Southern Crossing
and had its westerly terminus in the vicinity of Third and Army Streets
in San Francisco, and its easterly terminus on Bay Farm Island in Alameda,
just north of the Oakland Airport.
That none of these various
schemes came to pass can perhaps best be attributed to a general lack of
public consensus over choosing a route that made sense financially and
environmentally. Today, over a half century later, consensus remains elusive,
and, in the near term, a renewal of ferryboat fleets on the Bay seems more
likely than any grand scheme to cross its waters with additional bridges.