Tim Dennis Slides: http://goo.gl/m7fV Handout: http://lib.berkeley.edu/libtech/tutorial/beyond-powerpoint
- OpenOffice Impress (Windows/Mac/*nix) http://www.openoffice.org/ - Open Sourced
- Apple Keynote (Mac only) - proprietary
Online Presentation Tools
This class of software lives in the 'cloud' & is provided as a service. They all make it easy to import (Prezi's an exception, see below) existing PPTs, share or collaborate with others, and play the presentation.
- Google Docs Presentation http://docs.google.com/
- Zoho Show http://show.zoho.com/
- 280 Slides http://280north.com
- Prezi http://prezi.com/
Some Common Characteristics of Online Presentation Services
- Ability to create, store & run presentation from a browser.
- Exports to PDF & PPT
- Support live chat with audience during presentation (Google Docs & Zoho Show).
- Allows you to publish your slides with public URL you can share.
- Provides code so you can embed in a webpage.
This tool is in its own class, apart from the traditional slideware. It's built in flash and allows users to create animated zoomable non-linear presentations. Presenters create motions paths between inserted images, video or text.
Google Docs Presentation and Zoho Show both allow sharing & collaborating on slides. If you are working with a group or team, simply invite collaborators to the presentation and they can edit or add slides.
Slideshare is where you can host your presentation & share them with other. It has social features, so people can favorite or comment on your slides. It also links up with other services like facebook & linkedin.
Hashtag is a keyword prefixed with the pound sign used in twitter. It allows you to filter twitter tweets http://www.searchenginejournal.com/twitter-hashtags/9419/. Ask your audience to tweet questions or comments to a hashtag you create and either have a friend monitor and prompt you with questions during your presentation or monitor them during Q&A. For instance, I'm using #sdcpub for this talk. A search through twitter for that hashtag produces this result: < http://twitter.com/#search?q=%23sdcpub >.
Another way to engage with your audience is with the service Poll Everywhere http://www.polleverywhere.com/. With this service you can create simple SMS polls that will feed results live to a webpage.
Screen capture is where you make a video of your screen movements over time. This is ideal for when you want to make a video of a tutorial or demo a new product or tool.
- Jing - http://www.jingproject.com/ - Download required. Has a nice upload & share feature. Free.
- Camtasia http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp - Desktop software ($).
- Screen Toaster - http://www.screentoaster.com/ - No download required. Starts from your browser. Free.
- Captivate - http://www.adobe.com/products/captivate/ Desktop software ($).
Slides: http://goo.gl/m7fV Website for handout: http://library.berkeley.edu/libtech/tutorial/beyond-powerpoint