The Social Welfare Library is one of the many subject-speciality libraries in the UC Berkeley library system. It was founded in 1957 as a collection within the Social Sciences Library to support the developing social work program at Berkeley. It moved to Haviland Hall in 1963 and took up its present quarters in the renovated reading room in 1986.
From its origins as a reserve reading collection, the library has grown into a research collection that today provides vital support for the School of Social Work faculty and the School's related research centers. It also provides a foundation for the School's thriving doctoral program, and it serves as an academic home base for the students in the masters' program.
In addition to the academic population, we also serve social workers, human service professionals, and the general public from throughout the Bay Area.
In 2008, the Social Welfare Library was partnered with the Education-Psychology Library, and shares staff and administration.
We are an open stack collection and all are welcome to browse, use the computer resources, seek assistance, or simply sit and enjoy the peace and sunlight in our beautiful reading room.
Directions to Haviland Hall