UC Berkeley Library

History of the Graphic Arts Loan Collection (GALC)

Content section: 

The collection began in 1958 under the direction of Professor Herwin Schaefer, who believed that the best way to foster an appreciation of art is for students to live with original prints for a semester.

He declared that the University could assemble a collection of works touched by the hand of the artist and make them available to students, which would support a meaningful extension of the university's art teaching program.

Funding for the nucleus of the collection was provided by the Columbia Foundation and the International Graphic Arts Society, and the works themselves comprised a survey of art movements and artists - from Impressionism to Cubism, and from Rembrandt to Miro.

Visit the GALC website

93