Rights and Permissions
Requests for permission to publish Bancroft materials must be submitted in writing to The Bancroft Library Permissions Officer.
The Bancroft Library may charge use fees as listed in the fee schedule or as determined by the Permissions Officer. (See the Use Fee Schedule.)
Please note: You are responsible for complying with copyright law. The Bancroft Library does not necessarily own the copyright to the physical materials in its care. Permission from The Bancroft Library does not constitute copyright clearance, unless expressly stated and when Bancroft is the copyright holder. Neither The Bancroft Library nor the University Library is responsible for how you use materials subject to copyright law and other legal restrictions.
To request permission to publish manuscript materials, please follow the instructions below and submit your request to the Permissions Officer, Crystal Miles, via email at email@example.com or by fax at (510) 642-7589. If you have questions, please send an email or call (510) 643-2437.
- Send the request in writing to the Permissions Officer.
- List material to be published, giving collection name, call number, and container number when appropriate. If correspondence, please list the date.
- Indicate whether the material is to be quoted, cited or reproduced in facsimile.
- State how the material is to be used:
- Type of publication
- Proposed title
- Publisher’s name
- Expected date of publication
- Nature of publication, e.g., scholarly, commercial
- In citing materials, use the following format:
- Identification of the item, Name of collection, Call number of collection, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley. E.g., Letter, 17 February 1849, from Orville Watson to James Holland, Alexander Holland Papers, BANC MSS 80/375 c, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.
- The Bancroft Library does not hold the copyright to all of the original materials in its collection. When copyright resides elsewhere, permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as owner of the physical manuscripts and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the publisher.
- The Bancroft Library does not grant exclusive publication rights. By giving permission to publish a manuscript, the Library does not surrender its own right to publish it or to give others permission to publish it.
- The Bancroft Library requests a complimentary copy of all publications which make significant use of its collections.
- Publication of entire manuscript items or substantial portions of an item may be subject to use fees.
To request permission to publish pictorial materials:
- Fill out and submit the Permissions Form.
- If your project requires it, fill out and submit the Duplication Services Order Form. Please expect a turnaround of about 10 business days for digital duplication services. For more information, see Duplication Services.
Please submit completed permissions forms along with payment, as indicated on the fee schedule to:
The Bancroft Library
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
Or send via fax: (510) 642-7589
We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover credit cards. Please make checks payable to UC Regents.
Once we receive payment and the completed form(s), we will forward the original contract with the appropriate signatures to you.