Information for Undergraduate Students
- Your Cal 1 Card serves as your library card for borrowing materials and for access to the Gardner (MAIN) Stacks, Moffitt LIbrary, and the Media Resources Center.
- You can also use your Cal 1 Card to pay for printing in the libraries. Scanning to a USB is free!
- Borrowing - Basic information regarding your library card, checking out and renewing materials.
- Loan periods vary by library and material type, though most books are checked out to undergraduate students for 1 month, and 1 week for serials.
- Renewing - Options and rules for renewals.
- OskiCat - Search for materials in the UC Berkeley libraries with the UCB library catalog.
- Course reserves - Find materials on reserve in a campus Library for specific classes. Online reserves are usually available via the bCourses sites for your classes.
- Off-campus access to electronic resources - Access online resources from home using either the Proxy Server or VPN with your CalNet ID.
- Databases - Search for article databases, ebook collections, digitized primary resources collections, statistical sources and more.
- Article databases - Browse article databases, search for article databases.
- Articles by citation - Use the Citation Linker tool to find an article from a citation.
- Laptop loan program - Borrow a laptop, iPad and other electronic devices from the Moffitt Library circulation desk.
- Library resources for persons with disabilities - Find equal-access Library services and research assistance for persons with physical and print disabilities.
- Unregistered or on filing fee status - UC Berkeley undergraduates who are completing unfinished course work, or graduate students who are on filing fee status, may have their library privileges extended.
- Research help - Contact a librarian in person, by phone, by email or chat for assistance with your research.
- Research appointments - Undergraduates can make a thirty minute appointment with a librarian for help with library research in the humanities and social sciences.
- Study spaces - Find study areas, study carrels, and other amenities in the libraries.
- Reserve group study rooms in Gardner (MAIN) Stacks, and select subject specialty libraries.
- Library guides and tutorials - Learn about library tools, research skills, citations, and more.
- Workshops and tours
- Subject guides for help finding discipline specific resources.
- Charlene Conrad Liebau Library Prize for Undergraduate Research - The Library awards up to six annual prizes for the best lower-division ($750) and upper-division ($1000) papers from courses taught in departments across the campus.
- Student Learning Center - The SLC in the César Chávez Student Center is the primary academic support unit for UC Berkeley.
Requesting materials from other libraries
- Melvyl - Search for materials in all UC Libraries and worldwide. Use the Request button to borrow materials unavailable in the UC Berkeley Libraries.
- NRLF - Some UC Berkeley materials are shelved at the Northern Regional Library Facility (NRLF) in Richmond. Use the Request button in OskiCat to send materials shelved in NRLF to an on-campus library for check-out or library use.
- Interlibrary services - The Interlibrary Borrowing Service assists users to obtain materials that are not available at UC Berkeley.
Computers, printing and scanning
- Printing and scanning - Find more information about using BookScan stations for printing and scanning. Scanning to a USB is free!
- Computers in the Libraries - Find information on computing, wifi and desktop application availability in the Library. See also: the Library computer use policy.
- Student jobs at the Library - Learn about the variety of student jobs and view job postings from Library Human Resources. The most current job postings are posted outside Room 110 in Doe Library.
- Library code of conduct - Read about standards for Library use intended to create a safe and pleasant research environment for all patrons.
- Database conditions of use - It is the responsibility of individual users to ensure their use of Library electronic resources does not breach the terms and conditions specified in the license agreements.