Information for K-12 Teachers
Bringing students to visit The Library
- The UC Berkeley Library does not provide tours to groups not affiliated with the University.
- Contact UC Berkeley Visitor Services to arrange a campus tour that includes short visits to the Doe Library and Bioscience & Natural Resources Library.
- The UC Berkeley Library does not provide library instruction or orientations for K-12 programs that are not affiliated with the University.
Borrowing information for K-12 teachers
- K-12 teachers who do not have a library card are accorded the same privileges as visitors.
- California residents currently teaching in a California public school are eligible to receive a free library card.
- Bring proof of full-time current employment on letterhead from the school principal or district to the Privileges Desk, floor 1, Doe Library.
- The letter must confirm employment during the current or forthcoming academic school year.
- UC Berkeley library cards must be renewed annually for the next fiscal year, beginning any time after April 1st of the current fiscal year (the UCB fiscal year begins July
Available to K-12 teachers with a library card:
- A maximum of 20 books charged out at any one time.
- Access to most campus libraries (including Main (Gardner) Stacks through Doe Library)
- Reference assistance
- Databases, library catalogs and other educational resources via public computers in the libraries
- Many library events
- Library exhibits
- Printing/scanning in the libraries
Libraries and services not available to K-12 teachers with a library card:
- Art History/Classics Library
- Graduate Services
- Interlibrary borrowing
- Media Resources Center
- Moffitt Library
- Items on reserve for UC Berkeley students
- Remote access to licensed databases