Information for Faculty and Instructors
- Borrowing - Your Cal 1 Card serves as your library card for borrowing materials and for access to the Gardner (MAIN) Stacks, Moffitt, and the Media Resources Center.
- Pay for printing - Use your Cal 1 Card to pay for printing in the libraries.
- Renewals - Familiarize yourself with the options and rules for renewing materials, and loan periods.
- BAKER is a fee-based document delivery service for faculty.
- Interlibrary Borrowing Service assists faculty to obtain materials that are not available at UC Berkeley. In addition to the core interlibrary loan services, faculty have borrowing privileges from Stanford and UT Austin via RLCP. International borrowing is also available.
- Off-campus access to electronic resources - Access online resources from home using either the Proxy Server or VPN with your CalNet ID.
- Contact your subject librarian - Specific librarians are designated to support each academic department and program, and serve as the first point of contact for all research and teaching related inquiries.
- Designate a proxy user - Faculty may authorize a research assistant(s) as a proxy to check out library materials on their library account. New proxy cards are generally available the next business day at noon. Pre-existing proxy cards may be renewed using the same online form and are also available the next business day at noon. Please note that as we are no longer accepting paper proxy request forms, the online form must be used.
- Course reserves - Faculty and instructors may place print course materials that are expected to be in high demand or that require special security in a library's reserve section.
- Online reserves and fair use - Get help locating and setting up electronic reserves for your course bSpace site.
- Instruction Services - The Library offers instruction on library research for undergraduates and graduate students, tailored to courses, assignments and students' research topics, both in-person and online. Have a librarian come to your class.
- To arrange library instruction in science, engineering, and graduate level courses in humanities and the social sciences, contact your subject librarian.
- Designing Effective Library Assignments - Suggestions and example assignments to help teach students to navigate the academic research process.
- Charlene Conrad Liebau Library Prize for Undergraduate Research - Faculty in all disciplines should encourage undergraduate students to apply for the Library Prize, which recognizes students' sophistication, originality and/or unusual depth or breadth in the use of library collections in the creation of a course project.
- Dash - An easy, self service tool for researchers to publish their datasets.
- Scientific Data Services - A variety of tools and resources to help faculty manage and share their data.
- Library Data Lab - The Lab provides access to data files and analytical software. Lab staff are available for consultations regarding software, data resources and data acquisitions.
Scholarly communication and copyright
- eScholarship - This is the California Digital Library’s open access scholarly publishing platform, providing digital publishing services to the University of California that enable departments, research units, publishing programs, and individual scholars to have direct control over the creation and dissemination of the full range of their scholarship.
- Scholarly Communication at Berkeley - Learn more about how the crisis in scholarly communication affects you, what you can do to support changes in the current system and how to take advantage of new technologies.
- Berkeley Research Impact Initiative (BRII) - Financial support for faculty members, post-docs, and graduate students who want to make their journal articles free to all readers immediately upon publication.
- UC Copyright Education - A wide range of materials related to the use of copyrighted and public domain materials at the University of California.
The Library welcomes suggestions for titles to consider purchasing from our faculty and instructors.
- Use the Purchase Recommendation form to send us your suggestions.