Join more than 6,000 other friends, book lovers, alumni, and faculty who recognize that the influence of a great research library reaches beyond the university it serves to the many communities of which it is a part.
Library Associates receive complimentary copies of the quarterly newsletter Bene Legere, as well as invitations to special occasions at the Library. For more information on the Library Associates program, please write or telephone: The Library Development Office, Room 131 Doe Library, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-6000; telephone (510) 642-9377. Or, check our website.
Library Legacies: Early Gifts to the Library
1871 - Edmond L. Goold gave a large number of modern works-poets, essayists, novelists-and the latest edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica as a way of returning a fee of $500 paid him by the Regents for legal services. Also included was the library's first work on fine art-the Herculanum et Pompei: recuil general des peintures, etc.
1872 - 163 water colors of Mexican and Californian birds drawn from life by Colonel Andrew J. Grayson. They were intended by Emperor Maximilian for deposit in a Mexican Academy of Science, but the action of a firing squad outside Queretaro brought this treasure to the University Library.
1873 - San Francisco banker, F.L.A. Pioche, gifted 1500 volumes mainly comprised of modern French literature; Mrs. Sara P. Walsworth (of the Woolworth family) donated her library of over 1,400 volumes in 1882; and the San Francisco Women's Literary Exhibit Committee turned over to the Library 150 volumes representing the literary output in California, which had been collected for the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago.
1897 - C.P. Huntington's gift of the Robert E. Cowan library of Californiana.
1899 - The bequest of George Morey Richardson of 1,000 volumes in philology; Mrs. Phoebe A. Hearst gave an almost priceless set of Piranesi's engravings in 23 massive folios, along with other costly volumes on architecture and medieval illuminated manuscripts.
1905 - UC President Benjamin Ide Wheeler, his private secretary, Victor Henderson, and History Professor Frederick J. Teggart met with Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Howe Bancroft in Bancroft's office on Market Street in San Francisco. Henderson presented Bancroft with the University's note for $250,000 to be paid in three years. Bancroft handed to the President a certified check for $100,000 for the University. In the fall of 1906 the Bancroft collection, amazingly rich in the fields of Califoriana and West Coast American history, was transferred to Berkeley.
1916 - The French Republic gifted the Library some six thousand representative volumes that had been collected for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. This collection was housed in a room in Doe Library set aside as the Library of French Thought (today's 303 Doe Conference Room).